Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charltons first black player

Saw an interesting article on Facebook today talking about London football clubs and their first black players. Apparently ours was Steve Stacey in 1970. I have no recollection of Steve Stacey, assume someone on here would be able to confirm? I have to believe that we had a black player in the 60’s , but I can’t remember one. 

Comments

• Options
    Didn't we sign him from Wrexham?
  • Options
    Stacey played and scored in a one match loan from Ipswich I believe.
    A caller to Mark Mansfield many years ago insisted John Hewie was mixed race and therefore our first ‘black’ player.
    I wonder who our first openly gay player will be…I know that we have had some in the past who have felt obliged to hide their sexuality.
  • Options
    When we launched the black kit around the 2000s on the then radio programme Charlton Live the shirt was the prize in a competition where you had to answer who was the 1st black player to play for us.

Now the hosts (like pretty much everyone else) had the answer as Steve Stacey.  Regular caller Vic from Charlton was insistent that the answer should have been John Hewie. Steve Sutherland one of the shows hosts would not hear of it and the row went on over several weeks shows.

Really bizarre 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Played one game on loan from Ipswich, and scored, in 1970 IIRC.

He released an autobiography a few years ago in which we get a very brief mention.

He self-indentifies as an African-American in the book as his dad was a GI.

The museum was contacted a few months back by football historian who found a reference to a Charlton player, Henry Mordey, in an Everton scouting report.

The scouting report refers to him as having mixed parentage (that wasn't the term used!) and the historian asked if we knew more.

We'd seen photos of Mordey but had no evidence of his heritage so the question of him being our first player of colour remains open.

Our first player from an ethnic minority was almost certainly the great Abraham "Kosha" Goodman, star of the early 20s side.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Stacey played and scored in a one match loan from Ipswich I believe.
    A caller to Mark Mansfield many years ago insisted John Hewie was mixed race and therefore our first ‘black’ player.
    I wonder who our first openly gay player will be…I know that we have had some in the past who have felt obliged to hide their sexuality.
    Charlton have had plenty of openly LGBT players
  • Options
    Who?
  • Options
    Stoney is probably the highest profile LGBT Charlton player
  • Options
    Any openly LGBT players who have ever played for the mens team?

• Options
    Charlton have a gay player at the moment. The team are aware of him, but it is never discussed and he hasn’t come out as gay. I’m not really sure why he should. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2022
    John Hewie a black person…..ermmm……no way.
    He was of mixed nationality but neither of his parents were black.
    It doesn’t matter anyway even if he was……..he was a fine player and a fine old school gentleman to boot.
  • Options
    masicat said:
    Charlton have a gay player at the moment. The team are aware of him, but it is never discussed and he hasn’t come out as gay. I’m not really sure why he should. 

There are possibly many gay women in women's football including Charlton's womens' team but it is not seen as worthy of discussion nowadays beyond all but the most oafish types in 2022. I wouldn't know if we have any gay women in the team and don't care.

Same as without counting we probably couldn't say how many black players are in our squad as it's not an issue and doubt most football fans could in England nowdays.

It (being gay)  is not seen as relevant or in any way important by anyone and when that is the case with mens' football then that is progress. 

• Options
    When skin colour and LGBT status is not something to talk about as a "first" as if that makes people necessarily different then we will have reached a good point in society.

Hopefully will get to a point where someone's sexuality and skin tone is not a major issue and not even a point of discussion as per the colour of someone's hair. 

Couldn't give a toss whether a player of ours is gay or straight.  If they are abused the perpetrators will be dealt with as they would be for dispensing homophobic abuse anywhere else.  Same as skin colour.

Seems to be a hugely important and integral part of many people's identity in the current zeitgeist which seems at odds with the fact that we should be teaching kids that it's a non issue

I can understand why it is but wonder if it is actually counterproductive by "othering" and emphasising differences which are or should be pretty superficial in this day and age.

It would probably be celebrated by many on here and probably in the media if a Charlton player stated they were gay but I would say by the fact it was been celebrated would be a sign of the opposite that we still had a long way to go before people are just seeing and treating each other as people without perceived identities that shouldn't make much difference.

I am probably articulating this very clumsily and as a white straight bloke no doubt missing some insight (and Im sure there will be a number of straight white blokes along imminently to tell me why) but I have noticed throughout my life in the early years (as i do with my children) being taught that people are no different just because of their skin colour or sexuality but now we seem in an era where so much emphasis is placed on those characteristics and that such inherent characteristics are elevated to such importance in today's society....seems really at odds with what surely is the long term welcome objective that people stop looking at each other's characteristics as any more different or relevant than the colour of their eyes and other inbuilt factors.

A lot of good points.
    I think that whilst people generally are attacked and marginalised for being part of a minority group then being a trailblazer for that minority group (if only by being open) remains a significant and rather brave thing to do. A player need not be ‘open’ about their ethnicity because it is usually pretty clear, although will still lead to hatred from some, but I think there is still some distance to travel when it comes to male footballers being confident enough to be open about their sexuality.
  • Options
    Who was the player some nutbag used to come on CL about as the first black player 
    I can’t remember the players name but this loon was insistent on
    im not sure if he even represented the first team 
  • Options
    I was wondering about Ben Odeje, who was a schoolboy international on Charlton's books. I have a feeling (but may well be wrong) that he got a game for the reserves or even the 'A' team before Stacey. I am sure someone will know for sure. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    seth plum said:
    When skin colour and LGBT status is not something to talk about as a "first" as if that makes people necessarily different then we will have reached a good point in society.

Hopefully will get to a point where someone's sexuality and skin tone is not a major issue and not even a point of discussion as per the colour of someone's hair. 

Couldn't give a toss whether a player of ours is gay or straight.  If they are abused the perpetrators will be dealt with as they would be for dispensing homophobic abuse anywhere else.  Same as skin colour.

Seems to be a hugely important and integral part of many people's identity in the current zeitgeist which seems at odds with the fact that we should be teaching kids that it's a non issue

I can understand why it is but wonder if it is actually counterproductive by "othering" and emphasising differences which are or should be pretty superficial in this day and age.

It would probably be celebrated by many on here and probably in the media if a Charlton player stated they were gay but I would say by the fact it was been celebrated would be a sign of the opposite that we still had a long way to go before people are just seeing and treating each other as people without perceived identities that shouldn't make much difference.

I am probably articulating this very clumsily and as a white straight bloke no doubt missing some insight (and Im sure there will be a number of straight white blokes along imminently to tell me why) but I have noticed throughout my life in the early years (as i do with my children) being taught that people are no different just because of their skin colour or sexuality but now we seem in an era where so much emphasis is placed on those characteristics and that such inherent characteristics are elevated to such importance in today's society....seems really at odds with what surely is the long term welcome objective that people stop looking at each other's characteristics as any more different or relevant than the colour of their eyes and other inbuilt factors.

A lot of good points.
    I think that whilst people generally are attacked and marginalised for being part of a minority group then being a trailblazer for that minority group (if only by being open) remains a significant and rather brave thing to do. A player need not be ‘open’ about their ethnicity because it is usually pretty clear, although will still lead to hatred from some, but I think there is still some distance to travel when it comes to male footballers being confident enough to be open about their sexuality.

True...but all the while that society "others" people by inherent characteristics is it not a danger than it will maintain/ further create division and continue. 

If it is emphasised (as it seemed to be when I was growing up) that we are no different as people and it is character that is important as what is your worth and identity as a member of society rather than skin colour or sexuality ...then surely we bring generations through with that worldview to the point that abusing someone or treating them differently (ie the police/ employers etc) for having a different skin tone or sexuality would become as moot and irrelevant as to not even be thought of by future generations in the same way people are not viewed, treated differently, abused or discriminated against because they may have brown or green or hazel eyes.

I find the emphasising of identity characteristics/ identity politics that seems to be a huge part of the media and many aspects of society now is perhaps unintentionally being detrimental long term for wider progress in this respect.

But again, as a straight white man maybe i can't see why it isn't.   
  • Options
    That’s the name TMA
  • Options
    Who was the player some nutbag used to come on CL about as the first black player 
    He was adamant Viv Anderson was the 1st black England player 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Ben Odeje never played first team for Charlton and there was a black youth team player, at West Ham, who played for England below first team level before him.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

A lot of good points.

True...but all the while that society "others" people by inherent characteristics is it not a danger than it will maintain/ further create division and continue. 

If it is emphasised (as it seemed to be when I was growing up) that we are no different as people and it is character that is important as what is your worth and identity as a member of society rather than skin colour or sexuality ...then surely we bring generations through with that worldview to the point that abusing someone or treating them differently (ie the police/ employers etc) for having a different skin tone or sexuality would become as moot and irrelevant as to not even be thought of by future generations in the same way people are not viewed, treated differently, abused or discriminated against because they may have brown or green or hazel eyes.

I find the emphasising of identity characteristics/ identity politics that seems to be a huge part of the media and many aspects of society now is perhaps unintentionally being detrimental long term for wider progress in this respect.

But again, as a straight white man maybe i can't see why it isn't.   
    I believe the aspiration that people are looked at because of the content of their character and nothing else is the right one.
    I also believe that some members of minorities in the past have judged it is best to keep their heads down and not make a fuss about being othered.
    Possibly in the hope things would equalise, settle down, and in the hope it all goes away.
    In recent decades minority groups have seemed to say they are not going to put up with prejudicial behaviour and abuse any more, or that at least they’re going to push back.
    I wish it was going better, but looking at the reaction to something as mild as taking the knee, I believe there remains a long road to travel to the destination where character matters above anything else.
  • Options
    That’s the name TMA
    I wasn't the nutbag, though, who came on CL banging on about him.
    That was Roy
  • Options
    I miss Roy
  • Options
    Roy aka Vesper
  • Options
    “Entryism”
  • Options
    Played one game on loan from Ipswich, and scored, in 1970 IIRC.

He released an autobiography a few years ago in which we get a very brief mention.

He self-indentifies as an African-American in the book as his dad was a GI.

The museum was contacted a few months back by football historian who found a reference to a Charlton player, Henry Mordey, in an Everton scouting report.

The scouting report refers to him as having mixed parentage (that wasn't the term used!) and the historian asked if we knew more.

We'd seen photos of Mordey but had no evidence of his heritage so the question of him being our first player of colour remains open.

Our first player from an ethnic minority was almost certainly the great Abraham "Kosha" Goodman, star of the early 20s side.
    Mordey was born in Kuala Lumpur so may have had some Malaysian heritage, probably a bit difficult to establish now, although the Everton scouting report suggests he did. Of course, his parents could have been ex-pats working over there, there was a huge rubber industry (waits for Dave Mehmet comment) plus the British army would have been there in those days. 
  • Options
    Ben Odeje never played first team for Charlton and there was a black youth team player, at West Ham, who played for England below first team level before him.

Was that John Charles? 
  • Options
    I think I remember Benjie Odeje being an unused substitute once.
  • Options
    I think I remember Benjie Odeje being an unused substitute once.
    He was, first player in our history to be a sub for us and not go on and make an appearance for the 1st team. 
  • Options
    masicat said:
    I have never understood why someone's sensuality is such a big deal. We all support Charlton A F C. A football club. I am sure such topics don't crop up in other leisure pursuits. Why here ? 
    Are you happy for your sensuality to be brought up on here?