Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Scott Fraser - pg 36 - left by mutual consent

Comments

• Excellent player. We are lucky to have him. A joy to watch.

• Agree with the comment about him drifting too far left at times. You can tell this is 100% driven by the system rather than him, as Gilbey takes up the exact same position on the right.

They both spend all game running those inside channels so despite being midfield 'partners' they barely get within 20 yards of each other. Can you remember a single pass that was exchanged between Fraser and Gilbey last night? It was the same between Lee and Fraser v Sunderland. Obviously deliberate, but quite bizarre. 

Feels like a missed opportunity as Fraser could come deeper and more central like he did for MK and really dictate games. He has so much quality at this level that you could bounce the ball off him game long. As it stands, everything is left to Dobbo in the middle while the other midfielders run high and wide all game with almost zero link-up. 

• tidy player - but got to be honest I'm expecting more from him (same could be said for the whole squad except Dobson)

reckon he'll be a very key player for us next season
  • Yes, I thought Fraser looked good.  Exactly what we need.

I was also delighted that we saw some good things from Gilbey. 

Get those two firing on a regular basis and we have something to work with.

Apologies @Leuth ... I know that will upset you, but you can console yourself with a dream team of Jaiyesimi, Aneke and the returning Omar Bogle.
  • sam3110 said:
    Didn't impress me a lot last night to be honest, for a box to box midfielder he's not that dynamic, ambles about the pitch when we're not in possession. Time will tell as to how good a signing he'll be, but from what I've seen so far he's not the silver bullet people are playing him up to be
    Add to that: he bottled the first two challenges that came his way in the first 7 minutes last night, made damn sure he wasn't getting involved in a 50:50
    Also waved on Gill's right sided attacks to CBT or The Cat when he was Jonny on the Spot and should have been shepherding the oppo wide or back
    Looks lightweight and keen to stay out of anything physical, moves away from space and into congested areas when he doesn't have the ball, hiding in plain sight if you will.  Sort of jumps for headers but pulls his head down into his shoulders like Clunk from Stop The Pigeon!
    Can see and occasionally find a tidy pass but he's not answering many questions for us at the moment.
    He moaned on arrival about previous managers "sticking him out on the left wing" - if he swerves the bustle of the middle of the park the wing's his only option, he can't have it both ways, as one of very few naturally left sided players in our squad that's where he's likely to find himself until he puts his big boy pants on and takes a brave pill.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not really sure what I was expecting, but have been underwhelmed to date. Sure he has technical ability and may be able to bring more players into the game in future, but he seems very slow, and lacking  in physicality and dynamism.The kind of player that might thrive when things are going well but may disappear when things get tough. 
  • In League One you don't get players who are good at everything - or at least, they don't stay there long. Every player is realistically going to have weaknesses in their game.

We knew when he signed that he was good on the ball but not going to be a combative midfield terrier.

I think we need to be realistic about what he's signed to do rather than judge him for what he's not. 
  • msomerton said:
    Fraserburgh looks unfit and slow 
    But when Lee replaced him we lost cohesion 
    Because he gave the ball away to frequently.
    His one positive was his headless energy.
    His positive was his negative. He was all over the shop. 
  • Fraser as a CAM and Dobbo as a CDM, the absolute highest level you can have at this level of football. 

His passing was immense at times yesterday, our team just aren’t good enough to read his play or not used to it, he made one bad pass the whole game imo, second half when I think Washington was thru and he opted for the left wing rather than an over the top. 

I genuinely reckon we need to build our team around Dobson and him next season, go to a diamond, 4231 or 4312. Dobson is absolutely brilliant for us now at protecting our defenders and finding a way out, he’s reminding me of Buyens slightly, probably just a bit less class and finesse but makes up for it with his pace and grittiness in winning the ball back 

• edited March 2022
    Not sure I've seen much from him yet that Morgan doesn't have in his locker, but I'm pretty confident there is more to come from him and he'll start to stand out soon.

Has looked very lacking in match sharpness and fitness but I thought he looked a bit better in that department last night and was getting more involved and then was a bit quicker in his use of the ball playing a few nice passes. He's never going to be crunching into tackles left right and centre but neither did Claus Jensen. The key thing is will he work hard to get goal side when we lose the ball, close down space and pick up players, if he does that then he's contributing and Dobson can get on with leaving stud marks on a few shins.

Gilbey frustrates the hell out of me, but his running and ground covering does add balance to the midfield and helps a player like Fraser concentrate on what he's good at and not have to expend so much energy chasing after the ball. Hopefully JFC comes back the player he was when he got injured as he could be good balance between Gilbey's inconsistent technique and tireless running.
  • Fraser as a CAM and Dobbo as a CDM, the absolute highest level you can have at this level of football. 

His passing was immense at times yesterday, our team just aren’t good enough to read his play or not used to it, he made one bad pass the whole game imo, second half when I think Washington was thru and he opted for the left wing rather than an over the top. 

I genuinely reckon we need to build our team around Dobson and him next season, go to a diamond, 4231 or 4312. Dobson is absolutely brilliant for us now at protecting our defenders and finding a way out, he’s reminding me of Buyens slightly, probably just a bit less class and finesse but makes up for it with his pace and grittiness in winning the ball back 

I feel like we have a good spine of the team arranged now with Lavelle, Dobson, Fraser and Stockley through the middle. If McG can up his game or more preferably AMB make the step up and the right recruitment surrounding them we could be in a very strong position next season
  • msomerton said:
    Fraserburgh looks unfit and slow 

So would you if you'd recently been out with Covid for a while.

• edited March 2022
    Looks a very tidy and intelligent footballer, plying his trade a league below his standard.

• Sponsored links:

• Thought he looked good - comfortable on the ball and looking to create moves rather than being shit scared to lose the ball like most of our players 
  • Think I like him more than Watson, Arter and Morgan. Anything additional might just be unnecessary over analysis!
  • He offered himself for so many passes into his feet, but too many times our back four were afraid to pass to him
  • Even in his first few games, his composure receiving the ball in tight areas and creating space with a first touch is miles ahead of anything else we have. 
  • He has already shown glimpses of what he offers. A few of the threaded passes he played last night were class. He is a few seconds ahead of his teammates atm but he will he great for us I'm sure. Knowing I'm going to get pelters here but him and Gilbey will be a class above this league once they click
  • He is a class player and has a cultured left foot. Would like to see him in the middle pulling all the strings
  • Not sure I've seen much from him yet that Morgan doesn't have in his locker, but I'm pretty confident there is more to come from him and he'll start to stand out soon.
     He's got that extra bit of skill and touch on Morgan. Great player for Morgan to learn a bit from. (Ground passing is much better than Albie, but think Albie edges crossing)

I like both but that simply isn't true is it?