Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best London Walks

Which are your favourite walks, whether through parks, long jaunts along the river, or urban decay?

Back in the 80s when I lived in Hackney I used to love the squalor and delapidation of the grand union from Kingsland to Kings Cross and Camden.  All poshed up to destruction now, sadly.

Edit:  Damn accidentally put this in General Charlton - how do I move it?

Comments

• I enjoy doing the Lambeth one 
  • From my house to the pub.
  • Riverside walk from Woolwich Dockyard to O2  - even the small off river front diversion along Bowater Road is great.
  • edited February 2022
    Riverside walk from Woolwich Dockyard to O2  - even the small off river front diversion along Bowater Road is great.
    I used to cycle from Greenwich out to Erith back when there were a lot of abandoned industrial sites along the way especially before the O2 went up there were acres of disused warehouses, factories and docks.
  • shirty5 said:
    I enjoy doing the Lambeth one 
    Oi 
  • Always happy walking from Charlton station down Floyd road to the valley. 

Normally have the right hump walking back.
    No idea why. 
    Have you tried walking a different way?

Best Ministry Of Silly Walks GIFs  Gfycat
  • Riverside walk from Woolwich Dockyard to O2  - even the small off river front diversion along Bowater Road is great.
    I used to cycle from Greenwich out to Erith back when there were a lot of abandoned industrial sites along the way especially before the O2 went up there were acres of disused warehouses, factories and docks.
    Lived by the River in Woolwich until 1984, including Dockyard 1979 - 1984  - was a great place to explore as kids!
  • There are a few really good ones on the TfL website. I can recommend both the orbital walks around London. They're long walks, so you can pick a section to walk, the London LOOP can get surprisingly rural

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/walking/loop-walk
    https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/walking/capital-ring

• Sponsored links:

• Oxleas Woods brings back fond memories as a kid. Wonderful woodland walks and something nice to eat at the cafe.

• Seeing as I work up there 5 days a week, going up there on my day off doesn't really interest me. However I've been wanting to do the canal walks with the Mrs and baby from little Venice into Camden lock etc.

Looks lovely and with all the hustle and bustle of the centre we forget the other parts London has to offer.

https://youtu.be/R1OHRQoJOP0

Do this one three times a week pretty much
  • bobmunro said:
    Oxleas Woods brings back fond memories as a kid. Wonderful woodland walks and something nice to eat at the cafe.

If you remember to bring cash! Was forced to the Bull instead on Sunday. Fortunately they have some of the best pizza in South London selling from a shack in the garden 
  • I used to work in Kensington, and could walk back to Trafalgar Square through parks for virtually the entire distance. Kensington Gardens, Hyde Park, Green Park, St James's Park

I don't miss the job, but do miss that walk on a nice summer's evening.
  • Boom said:
    From my house to the pub.
    The difference in time taken on the the return is staggering.
  • Off subject but next weekend was looking to a loop walk in Kent 12-15km sort of range any ideas hopefully ending up in a nice pub for a bit of late lunch 
  • Sponsored links:

• Seeing as I work up there 5 days a week, going up there on my day off doesn't really interest me. However I've been wanting to do the canal walks with the Mrs and baby from little Venice into Camden lock etc.

Looks lovely and with all the hustle and bustle of the centre we forget the other parts London has to offer.

Lived on a boat round the back of Kings Cross in 1991
  • edited February 2022
    Off subject but next weekend was looking to a loop walk in Kent 12-15km sort of range any ideas hopefully ending up in a nice pub for a bit of late lunch 
    Walk + pub = completely on subject.  
  • Off subject but next weekend was looking to a loop walk in Kent 12-15km sort of range any ideas hopefully ending up in a nice pub for a bit of late lunch 
    Rye to Peasmarsh
    Peasmarsh to Stone in Oxney
    Back to Rye

Follow the footpaths across country and you probably won't see half a dozen people.
    Around Penshurst Place, Leigh, Chiddingstone and Hever lots of circular walks and pubs in that and the Edenbridge area
    Leicester Arms, King Henry VIII, Castle Inn...... 

Did you ever let anyone come on your boat?

Did you ever let anyone come on your boat?
    I bet every time someone visited they said "permission to come on your boat"
  • Best walk in London, is the walk in aid of the Upbeats, taking place on 23rd April this year. A nice stroll from the training ground to the Valley. 
  • London appears to have expanded
  • Dansk_Red said:
    Best walk in London, is the walk in aid of the Upbeats, taking place on 23rd April this year. A nice stroll from the training ground to the Valley. 
    Stroll? It's quite often more of a march! :smiley:

• Boom said:
    From my house to the pub.
    The difference in time taken on the the return is staggering.
    12 hours on and one solitary lol. Shame on your fellow Lifers.