Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Winter Olympics 2022

Comments

• Options
    We have been pretty rubbish at these games. Painful viewing. 
    Its all been pretty much downhill...
  • Options
    Considering we get next to no snow and ice I think we have excelled at previous games rather than being disappointing at these ones. 
  • Options
    Considering we get next to no snow and ice I think we have excelled at previous games rather than being disappointing at these ones. 
    So like Charlton this is actually our true level?
  • Options
    Other than the last couple of games, which were boosted by the general post-2012 funding effect, we've traditionally either won 1 medal per games or none at all. It's disappointing so far, but we're not a major force at the winter Olympics. I'm sure we could be more competitive if more of our team could train full-time, but unlike athletes and footballers these guys mostly have to live abroad to get training facilities, which is tough when there's not much funding around.
  • Options
    Really enjoying these team/relay events in particular, like the latest mixed snowboard cross thingy. One of them just took another out by smacking her oppo around the head mid-air with their board and landing on them. Great stuff. 
  • Options
    Christ Team GB have done a replay of Cool Runnings in the two man bob

Both are thankfully okay
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Our GB Curlers (all Scottish ?) are decent and the only medals we may get is probably the men who are winning most of their group games and the women have an outside chance of a medal and getting to the last four if they can win one of their last two round robin matches. 
  • Options
    Two thoughts on the 15 year old Valieva who despite failing a dope test is still competing for those well known Synonyms:
    Russia and Cheating.

It shouldn't matter what age you are if you have a positive test for doping you go home. The message it sends out will be great news for the 14 and 15 year old swimmers in the summer games if the same ruling is given.

• Options
    CAS seem to have thought about the effect on her of missing the competition due to provisional suspension if she's eventually cleared, but not about the unfairness to the other competitors who will be deprived of a medal ceremony if she's in the top 3 (which is almost certain unless she falls over during the final round). Someone's going to end up wining the gold, but not getting the memory of standing on the podium, because CAS decided to let someone compete despite a failed A sample.

Plus, of course, it sends a terrible message about how seriously doping is taken. The IOC have done what they can to make it clear they don't approve, by allowing an extra competitor into the final round to make it clear they don't think she should be there, but sport as a whole needs to get serious about this. Russia shouldn't be at the games at all, or at most they should only allow Russian athletes who train elsewhere, as I think was done at the first games this applied to. It's been going on for ages and the Russians have no incentive to reform because they don't get punished.
  • Options
    I have decided (following consultation with friends and family) that all things considered, the Winter Olympics is a crock of shit and not worth watching.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't want to put all our eggs in one basket but Men's curling is really looking like our only medal hope now
  • Options
    In some perverse way, and i don't follow winter sports AT ALL,  it would be a triumph if team GB get feck all.

Also very poetic in a way seeing as our whole country crumbles after half an hour of consistant sleet.
  • Options
    Two thoughts on the 15 year old Valieva who despite failing a dope test is still competing for those well known Synonyms:
    Russia and Cheating.

It shouldn't matter what age you are if you have a positive test for doping you go home. The message it sends out will be great news for the 14 and 15 year old swimmers in the summer games if the same ruling is given.

I actually looked into this as I take a drug for my heart which seems to make more and more dopey every day (pardon the pun).   It seems I need to persuade my GP to swap out my beta blockers for Trimetazidine. 

Seriously though, as a minor she may well not be aware of what is going on.  Sadly she should be sent home in the hope of those responsible feeling the shame.

Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva made headlines after she tested positive for trimetazidine — a heart medication that is banned in the United States and prohibited under the World Anti-Doping Code — before the start of the Beijing Olympics.

The drug is used to treat angina, a heart condition in which there’s an insufficient supply of oxygen and blood to the heart.

The drug improves blood and oxygen flow to the heart and helps it work more efficiently.

Some health experts believe the drug could allow elite athletes to train harder and build endurance, giving them an unfair advantage.

• Options
    Both Men and Womens teams are into the Curling Semi-Finals

If both can win at least one more game then they're guaranteed a medal
  • Options
    Curing - the best of all the winter events. 
  • Options
    Valtteri Bottas currently moonlighting for the US Curling team
  • Options
    GB 6-4 up against the USA going into the last end.

USA have the advantage, fail to make up the two and we're guaranteed a Silver Medal
  • Options
    looks like gonna go to an extra end

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    looks like gonna go to an extra end

Yeah United States have had a blinder at the end here
  • Options
    maybe not - come on GB
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WE HAVE A MEDAL!!!!
  • Options
    Deffo getting our first medal
  • Options
    United States were the only side to beat our Mens team in the last round too, so we should be favourites for the Gold

Facing Sweden - Beat them 7-6
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Who knew stones on ice could be so nerve wracking to watch. 
  • Options
    There is clearly a lot of strategy. It isn't just a case of sliding your stones into the target. I quite enjoy it and I think Steve Cram who of course was never a curler seems to have developed a great kowledge of it.
  • Options
    There is clearly a lot of strategy. It isn't just a case of sliding your stones into the target. I quite enjoy it and I think Steve Cram who of course was never a curler seems to have developed a great kowledge of it.

• Options
    I love watching the curling and agree about Steve Cram commentary. Have set the alarm for early Saturday 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Stewart said:
    Curling - the best of all the winter events. 
    Which is odd cos its only Slippy Bowls really.
  • Options
    been watching the Speed skating plus a lot of the Cross ski and snowboarding events, irrespective of the nationalities its been an awesome olympics......so much talent at some very young ages Suzanne Schulting, Eileen Gu, Choi min Jeong, Chloe Kim to just name a few.....superb viewing.
  • Options
    GB women’s curlers have a shocker in the last end and it’s gone to an extra end 13-13