Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs AFC Wimbledon | Saturday 5th February 2021 - 3pm KO) | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs AFC Wimbledon
Saturday 5th February 2022 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Christopher Pollard

Introduction
I dont think there was anyone who expected a positive result against Portsmouth on Monday evening. When you look at the Charlton performances on the road, any result (albeit at one of our favourite away venues) certainly looked a tall order prior to kick-off. In typical Charlton fashion though, the win was well deserved, goals coming from Conor Washington and brief signing: Clark Robertson - We now welcome AFC Wimbledon to the Valley, relegation once again looks a tall order, defeat though this Saturday, could once again undo all the hard work achieved under the South Coast floodlights.

The Opposition
Name: AFC Wimbledon (20th) | Manager: Mark Robinson
Ground: Plough Lane
Previous Meeting: AFC Wimbledon 2-2 Charlton Athletic

Everyone probably knows that AFC Wimbledon have never been relegated as a Football club, since the Dons formation (in well known circumstances) on 30th May 2002, its been a continuous upwards trajectory, one level completed after the other - Perhaps a lesser known fact is that Morecambe have never been relegated as a Football club either.

These two sides, with more history in Non-League than the Football League, appear to be fighting it out to avoid that unwelcome first relegation tag - The two currently find themselves separated by two points, and that's it - Of course, there is nothing to suggest that both clubs wont survive this season - AFC Wimbledon are enjoying their 20th season since their formation, and have already avoided the drop in each of their last five seasons at this level.

The difficulty going into this campaign was an obvious one... How to replace Joe Pigott - The ex-Charlton graduate would go on to score twenty times in the League last season, understandably earning a move to Ipswich Town - Into his shoes have stepped Ollie Palmer (who himself has now moved to Wrexham), and Ayoub Assal. Both have scored eight goals for the Dons, and the Wimbledon graduate, in just his second season, must now shoulder the burden alone.

Charlton Team News
The big news prior to the Portsmouth clash was the incoming signing of Scott Fraser from Ipswich Town - The Scottish playmaker has long been admired by Addicks fans, so many will now be excited to see what he can bring to our midfield, which sadly at times has lacked that final killer instinct. Of course we may require patience (as a former Manager would say); Fraser hasn't played since December so will be lacking match fitness.

The other way of looking at it is this... Who from the team do you drop after what was a splendid performance against Portsmouth - The natural suspect is Albie Morgan, not because he has his doubters, yet more for the similar styles in play, yet the Academy player is finally showing glimpses of consistency so wouldn't deserve to be dropped at present. Elsewhere and Mason Burstow should return to the bench at the very least this Saturday, the youngster was of course missing from the trip on Monday night, after completing a life changing move to Premier League: Chelsea.

On the injury front it appears that both Ryan Inniss and Chuks Aneke should be available again this Saturday (after being withdrawn on Monday as a precaution) - Jayden Stockley and Jake Forster-Caskey remain our sole absentees.

MacGillivray
Clare - Inniss - Famewo
Matthews - Dobson - Gilbey - Blackett-Taylor
Morgan
Washington - Aneke

Substitutes Bench: Henderson - Purrington - Pearce - Fraser - Lee - Burstow - Leko

Prediction
Wimbledon have always been a thorn in our sides, especially at Plough Lane... Thankfully due to match postponements, our first encounter with the Dons this season will be at the Valley - Yet Wimbledon have shown in recent weeks that they'll be a tough side to break down, five draws in their last six games, a sign that we can once again expect a wintery scrap on our hallowed turf.

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for a great preview. 
    At Pompey, we seemed to do what so many clubs have done to us at The Valley - come and have a go, get a lead, and make us panic. 

I expect Wimbledon to do the same, so we need to tough-out the early stuff from them, and get the 2 goals we usually need to calm the nerves. 

Prediction 2-0 win. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the preview as always. Look forward to it each week. A convincing win would be nice. I think we will win but not getting carried away about late charge for play offs. Too far behind and those up there not likely to capitulate. Always live in hope but it's a bridge too far. 2-0 Chuks and Conor.
  • Options
    Good preview - thanks

I note that JJ does not mention Lavelle as injured, I wonder if we will see him on the bench?
  • Options
    Three wins in a row?

incroyable!

2-1 again.  In all honesty I cannot rule out a routine defensive bollock drop after Iniss goes off for a precaution.
  • Options
    This match I think could be a defining game of our season. Lose and it's over, not because the result itself would be terminal but it will show once again we cant put teams we should be beating away. I'm always more confident when we ate playing a game we should lose tbh with this team as they only seem to get their act together in those games. On the other hand win and that 3 straight and the run starts towards the playoffs
  • Options
    3-0 CBT , Aneke and Innis to score.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Oi! You put DJ back on the bench! 
    I reckon he will start 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Think we'll be rotating Matthews out for DJ and CBT out for Purrington depending on other teams offensive capabilities and our defensive frailties.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For those travelling by train from Kent - services from Ashford, Tonbridge & Sevenoaks are being diverted to Victoria. You will have to catch a train from there to Lewisham and change again for Charlton. This will add about an hour to your journey.
  • Options
    Excellent preview as always. I think Fraser and DJ will both start in place of Albie and Matthews. Think JJ will go that bit more attack minded than away at Portsmouth and go for the jugular early on with the fact that they haven't won one in the last 11.

Am worryingly optimistic about this one which is normally not a good sign.
  • Options
    For those travelling by train from Kent - services from Ashford, Tonbridge & Sevenoaks are being diverted to Victoria. You will have to catch a train from there to Lewisham and change again for Charlton. This will add about an hour to your journey.
    Or you may consider taking a tube across London which would be quicker.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I'm coming to London this weekend. For the first time I was thinking of giving the match a miss but I'll be there. I'll probably train from Greenwich and walk back around the river. About 6 miles?
  • Options

Difficult to be confident or excited but I will stay up to watch the stream in the hope of catching a glimpse of the Scottish Pele. 

2-1  (Purrington, Fraser)
  • Options
    It's going to be difficult to change a winning team but I would like to see Fraser given a go in this one. The winning run continues … COYR
  • Options
    I don't want to use the  must win phrase, but.

Win and we put real distance between us and the bottom 4, probably enough to see us through. Lose and we may be only 5-6 points off, not panic stations, but we have 4 tough fixtures after this which may yield very few points.

Still we never seem to play to the form book so who knows, what every the result

Draw 1-1
  • Options

Difficult to be confident or excited but I will stay up to watch the stream in the hope of catching a glimpse of the Scottish Pele. 

2-1  (Purrington, Fraser)
    What a trooper.
  • Options
    Here we have it , with our mouthwatering humdinger of a London derby , one of the highlights of the season, if your not up for this then League One complete shitness  and obscurity is not the place for your football club .

2-0 victory and the banter and work place bragging rights will be ours all over the South East of nowhere till we meet again next month , oh such joy 
    Dear oh dear.  What a load of tosh.

Some of us just want the boys to win.

Maybe Man City is a good fit for you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think of Wimbledon and I still think Vinny Jones and grey hounds, anyway we seem to make heavy weather of this lot so any win will do, 2-1 to the Addicks. 
  • Options
    Major said:
    Here we have it , with our mouthwatering humdinger of a London derby , one of the highlights of the season, if your not up for this then League One complete shitness  and obscurity is not the place for your football club .

2-0 victory and the banter and work place bragging rights will be ours all over the South East of nowhere till we meet again next month , oh such joy 
    Dear oh dear.  What a load of tosh.

Some of us just accept mediocrity
    Fixed for you 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Meh. He's a bit lazy.
  • Options
    2-0. Aneke and Washington.

Important we get a win tomorrow as the next 6 matches look very difficult. As always when playing teams of this manner, need to get an early goal and don’t give away the first goal as you know they will be running the clock down. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Leuth said:
    Meh. He's a bit lazy.
    Really? Have you got his stats as I would genuinely interested to see comparisons?

He always looks to me that he puts in 100% and gets back to defend well. Attacking and closing down is a much larger part of his role than (say) Purrington or Mathews who tend to stay more defensive, and I can understand why he is knackered on 75-80 minutes.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Leuth said:
    Meh. He's a bit lazy.
    Really? Have you got his stats as I would genuinely interested to see comparisons?

He always looks to me that he puts in 100% and gets back to defend well. Attacking and closing down is a much larger part of his role than (say) Purrington or Washington and I can understand why he is knackered on 75-80 minutes.
    @Leuth recently got quite animated at someone else for posting that Leko and DJ were lazy players. It was just a light hearted nod to that argument.
  • Options
    Don’t think you can have DJ and CBT in the same team , think it would leave to much space down both flanks and would pull your 3 centre backs out if position to many times … so keep Matthews and CBT …… Fraser for me over Morgan it’s a game we need to win given our next two away games so let’s give him 60 mins .. no good bringing him on chasing the game … 

Wimbledon are just another team like Oxford and MK who are so unpredictable and can win or lose any game against anybody … interesting Scott Gosgrove as gone there always rated him
    at Aberdeen and one player fans wanted us to get .. but just shows the worth of a recruitment team .. his career as really stopped and gone backwards … but one we will have to watch 

still expect 3points but might not be as plain sailing as some expect 

• Options
    As it really
  • Options
    I'm buoyed by our performance the other night and hoping for the same energy, desire and commitment.
    Our failings have been in end product and clinical finishing and I'd like to see us take one of the struggling sides apart for a change.
    I'd like to see Fraser introduced, but I'm guessing he'll start with the same side.
    I'm happy with Matthews/CBT over DJ/Purrington if they play like they did Tuesday.
    Having said all that, first team to score wins it.

• Options
    Maybe I have missed something here is Juan not fit now.