Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

London Underground strikes.

edited February 2022 in General Charlton
Just read headlines that Tube workers will be striking soon over working conditions AND job cuts, at first glance looks a very illogical reason!

Comments

• Options
    Long gone are the days where the tube not running can grind the city to a massive halt.
    Add the fact TFL have got f**k all money!

Be interested to see how this pans out
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Just read headlines that Tube workers will be striking soon over working conditions AND job cuts, at first glance looks a very illogical reason!
    Agreed . Same with airport workers
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    With working from home being so easy now for most of London, the people they will be affecting will become a smaller amount of people, but a larger proportion will be vital workers.
    That’s a good point. I wonder what we’ll see happen to London Underground over the next few years if the staff no longer have such a tight hold on things 
  • Options
    Not sure what's going on with the trains today, but my normal 80 min journey to The Valley is taking me 2 hours amd a different route. 
  • Options
    Ultimately I think all of the tube will go automatic within the next 50 years, the problem of strikes will fade away. 

Of course there will be a strike by the drivers over going automatic. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    Not sure what's going on with the trains today, but my normal 80 min journey to The Valley is taking me 2 hours amd a different route. 

If you're real Charlton you must be creaming your pants.
    Mate, my son is proper... on my days of daddy day care we have to go to the station with a picnic and watch them go by lol 

Nothing wrong with that. My dad took me to Maze Hill where you could watch through the fence.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Ultimately I think all of the tube will go automatic within the next 50 years, the problem of strikes will fade away. 

It won't because all stations that are below ground have minimum staffing levels all the hours they are open (with a supervisor on the premises all night).

The new Central London Crossrail stations are massive and will need a lot of extra staff.

The deep level lines will be difficult to remove the person in a cab at the front. The limited space to move through the train and the tunnels  in the event of an emergency limit the options. Safety has to come first.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:

If you're real Charlton you must be creaming your pants.
    Mate, my son is proper... on my days of daddy day care we have to go to the station with a picnic and watch them go by lol 

Nothing wrong with that. My dad took me to Maze Hill where you could watch through the fence.

No I love it mate, took him to Tate Modern the other day for thr first time. He absolutely loved blackfriers, he's only 3. When he realises each train has a different number, he's gonna be full obsessed. 
  • Options
    RMT are absolute wankers. Sick and tired of passenger safety being thrown about by them when their strikes are nothing but self serving.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Crusty54 said:
    CAFCTrev said:

It won't because all stations that are below ground have minimum staffing levels all the hours they are open (with a supervisor on the premises all night).

The new Central London Crossrail stations are massive and will need a lot of extra staff.

The deep level lines will be difficult to remove the person in a cab at the front. The limited space to move through the train and the tunnels  in the event of an emergency limit the options. Safety has to come first.

Im referring more to the trains themselves and not the stations generally, and I know you need minimum staff for safety reasons (passenger illness, evacuations etc...) but you only need to deploy "train captains" in the trains to help there, the train driving itself will be automatic. 

In terms of the stations of course they will still need people manning them, but really only for safety stuff like you say and not general customer service/ticket selling etc when you have kiosks and screens that will handle that. That's still a massive reduction on what we have now. 
  • Options
    Nurses should get paid much more.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    seth plum said:
    And train drivers don't need to. Are they striking because they want nurses to be paid more?

Or maybe it's because they think if they get paid (even) more, that the increased disparity and unfairness of that will mean nurses pay will have to be increased?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Or maybe it's because they think if they get paid (even) more, that the increased disparity and unfairness of that will mean nurses pay will have to be increased?
    I think you've hit on something there.

Now I think of it I'm sure that's why most footballers - and their agents - negotiate such lucrative contracts. It's all so they can hold up a mirror to show society's failings in paying people in some professions vastly more money than other, more worthy, professions.

Very clever of them. 

And it works too .....
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    seth plum said:

Now I think of it I'm sure that's why most footballers - and their agents - negotiate such lucrative contracts. It's all so they can hold up a mirror to show society's failings in paying people in some professions vastly more money than other, more worthy, professions.

Very clever of them. 

And it works too .....
    Surely it can be the only reason why those threatening strike action they think they deserve more money?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    seth plum said:

Very clever of them. 

And it works too .....
    Surely it can be the only reason why those threatening strike action they think they deserve more money?
    Or they're just greedy ****s?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    seth plum said:

Very clever of them. 

And it works too .....
    I’ve often thought our players sometimes play like they are on strike. 🙁
  • Options
    Not sure the nurses will appreciate not being able to get to work when there is a strike. Or the inevitable fare rises needed to pay for the pay increase
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    And train drivers don't need to. Are they striking because they want nurses to be paid more?

Train drivers are taking industrial action for themselves,
    Know as one of the forces of capitalism.
  • Options
    Nurses can organise and strike. They are not slaves nor should they be.
    The conversion about fairness is a different thing.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I think you're onto something.
    I reckon pay is associated with the cost of living, very especially accommodation. Much less about comparing one job with another.
    I don't see those seeking higher wages as greedy so much as trying to keep a roof over themselves, especially in London.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Nurses can organise and strike. They are not slaves nor should they be.
    The conversion about fairness is a different thing.
    Nurses care too much about their patients to go on strike.

Tube drivers don't care about anything but lining their own pockets.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

I think you're onto something.
    I reckon pay is associated with the cost of living, very especially accommodation. Much less about comparing one job with another.
    I don't see those seeking higher wages as greedy so much as trying to keep a roof over themselves, especially in London.
    The train drivers earn enough to keep a roof over their heads!

Maybe the inevitable price increases will make it even more difficult for others to keep a roof over their head?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    When medical professionals did strike they were quickly portrayed as monsters allowing patients to suffer. People who felt good about standing clapping on their doorsteps and putting rainbow posters in their windows will be slagging them off when they ask for a rate of inflation pay rise.  I look forward to the support for NHS strikers from you when that happens. Because it will.
  • Options
    As usual working people are expected to take the hit when the richest fuck up and the usual suspects queue up to kick em some more. When medical professionals did strike they were quickly portrayed as monsters allowing patients to suffer. People who felt good about standing clapping on their doorsteps and putting rainbow posters in their windows will be slagging them off when they ask for a rate of inflation pay rise. The hypocrisy makes me puke.
    This could be a long discussion about who gets paid what. I always think around remembrance day at the Valley how much less the heroes are paid when they go out on the pitch once a year. Nurses and others should be paid more but should tube and train drivers be paid so much more, especially if they are already paid well for what they do and everyone else has to pay more to travel when rhe prives go up.

So many complain how much politicians earn but so many in finance, business etc. get paid so much more - probably why we get such cr@p politicians. 

It is right Molly off Love Island gets £40k a month when the Prime Minster gets £150k a year, about the same as the head of the RMT?

There endless examples