Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

London Underground strikes.

13»

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Unless society moves in a different direction, then just as William Hills will try to maximise profit from whatever it is they offer, so will train drivers, or even delivery dispatchers.
    Doesn't make the drivers right. Not comparable. Good job we don't all threaten, let alone go on strike because we want more pay. Most of us want more pay
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Comment disappeared. Apologies.
    What happened to it?
    It's on strike.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Unless society moves in a different direction, then just as William Hills will try to maximise profit from whatever it is they offer, so will train drivers, or even delivery dispatchers.
    Doesn't make the drivers right. Not comparable. Good job we don't all threaten, let alone go on strike because we want more pay. Most of us want more pay
    Does rightness or wrongness even enter in to it?
    Would you think that somebody with a high income due to participating in a capitalist economy says 'it's not right that I get so much'?
    Some people aspire to live on the interest of the interest, in that context then why should any group of workers who can maximise their profitability worry about the rightness or wrongness providing what they do is within the law?
    If we all want more pay then the system invites us to try to get it, because the principle seems to be that in a free market things such as pay will find its own level regardless of the morality of the circumstances.
  • Options
    But the tube system is not a free market. 
  • Options
    The cost of the Labour is, isn't it?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Does rightness or wrongness even enter in to it?
    Would you think that somebody with a high income due to participating in a capitalist economy says 'it's not right that I get so much'?
    Some people aspire to live on the interest of the interest, in that context then why should any group of workers who can maximise their profitability worry about the rightness or wrongness providing what they do is within the law?
    If we all want more pay then the system invites us to try to get it, because the principle seems to be that in a free market things such as pay will find its own level regardless of the morality of the circumstances.
    But they are not saying it's not right they  get so much but asking for even more!

'Maximising their profitability'  is not sating they are not paid enough for what they do though is it?

TFL is not free market. And the drivers know full well the effect a strike will have on people, many of those who are key workers and/or rely on the tube and have gone though enough issues working and getting to work. Personally I think it is somewhat unfortunate they are threatening to strike for more pay like this
  • Options
    'Enough' leads us back to the point I made about the cost of living, particularly housing.
  • Options
    Of course they can strike but this time they will have even less public support and TFL can’t as easily be painted  as unreasonable paymasters given the drop in passenger numbers and funding gap. 

They have less ‘power ‘ in my opinion than previously post Covid. 

What sets them apart still is the propensity to strike or threaten to strike despite the relative pay levels to other sectors. 

Not sure they will be as successful in their negotiations this time as they have been in the past. 

Interesting to see if they do it and if they achieve what they want. 

Like any strike it will be uncomfortable on both sides    

• Options
    They are not striking over pay. They are striking because TfL are not replacing staff who retire or move on. 
  • Options
    Jints said:
    They are not striking over pay. They are striking because TfL are not replacing staff who retire or move on. 
    More people are working from home, does that mean they do need less staff?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jints said:
    So this whole Monty Pythoesque day's rambling has been mainly wasted?
  • Options
    Jints said:
    Not sure. Thought it was about night tube and rotas etc. 
    Significantly ASLEF as yet not striking as I understand. 

• Options
    Jints said:
    Not sure. Thought it was about night tube and rotas etc. 
    Significantly ASLEF as yet not striking as I understand. 

That’s the night tube strikes at the weekend, these are a separate strike I think. 

After all the rail issues due to strike action over the years, they can all go fck themselves as far as I’m conferences. Utter c...s