Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2022

Comments

• At least the scores are going up

• Today I picked up 4 tickets for NZ at Lord's, day 2 Fri 3rd June.
    3 tickets for SA at Lord's, day 3 Fri 19th August.
    4 tickets for SA at The Oval, day 2 Fri 9th September.
    Just looking at Lord's, I can't believe how expensive the NZ tickets are

Yes it's Lord's, NZ are a good side, and it's the longer holiday for the Queen's 60th, but the prices are still extortionate for a JUNE Test match
    They need to pay for the new stands, plus they know they will sell out. 
    They won't keep selling out if England keep getting hammered
  • Today I picked up 4 tickets for NZ at Lord's, day 2 Fri 3rd June.
    3 tickets for SA at Lord's, day 3 Fri 19th August.
    4 tickets for SA at The Oval, day 2 Fri 9th September.
    Just looking at Lord's, I can't believe how expensive the NZ tickets are

Yes it's Lord's, NZ are a good side, and it's the longer holiday for the Queen's 60th, but the prices are still extortionate for a JUNE Test match
    They need to pay for the new stands, plus they know they will sell out. 
    They won't keep selling out if England keep getting hammered
    You'd hope not but they probably will because too many people aren't really there for the cricket. 
  • Game still in the balance imo. These two have been rock solid. Spin with a big role this afternoon
  • Brathwaite showing the sort of spinnerphobia that denotes a substandard captain here imo
  • Lyon would have been on in the first session. Permaul ain't Lyon but he ain't bad
  • Stokes gone.

Now 118 for 5.

200 looks a long way from here.
  • Back to my pet peeve  -  over rate.

Just bowled the 45th over, so half way through the day   -  yet we are around 20 mins until tea. 

And it usually get dark pretty quickly in the Caribbean. This is not mid June in England where you could play until 7pm (not as if that happens anyway unless there has been rain)

I reckon we'll be lucky to get much more than 75 overs today. 

Jack Leach on for a double hundred.
  • 145-5 at tea.

Bairstow 35 (109)
    Foakes 21 (33)

CricViz projects a first innings total of 201.
  • Sponsored links:

39*
  • Billings in the BT studio having to be enthusiastic at the batting of the 2 rival keeper batsmen out there at the moment  ;)

He even said earlier that Foakes is the best wicket keeper in the world!
  • Billings in the BT studio having to be enthusiastic at the batting of the 2 rival keeper batsmen out there at the moment  ;)

He even said earlier that Foakes is the best wicket keeper in the world!
    I know what you're thinking, but DO NOT say it.
  • 214-6

Foakes lbw Holder 42
  • As well as the gloves, Foakes has also taken the bad reviews from Bairstow!
  • I really like Foakes. 
    He's our best keeper without doubt & a better Test batsman than Bairstow has been & a far better Test bat than Buttler. 
    Criminal he's not been playing. 
  • As well as the gloves, Foakes has also taken the bad reviews from Bairstow!
    I suspect that it was Bairstow's decision to review it. He wouldn't make a very good umpire would he?
  • They're not wrong about Holder's figures are they? 

15-9-13-2
  • edited March 2022
    Bairstow gets his 100. The slowest of his Test career to date... a good sign that he is maturing perhaps?

241-6
  • Sponsored links:

• Brilliant effort that by Bairstow. Tough runs when England were in a massive hole
  • That's the Nicky Bailey song  :D
  • Well done Bairstow!!  Keep going!!
  • Law changes effective 1st October:

https://www.lords.org/lords/news-stories/mcc-announces-new-code-of-laws-from-1-october-2022

The most significant is this one:

Law 18 – Batters returning when Caught

First trialled by the ECB in The Hundred at the suggestion of MCC, Law 18.11 has now been changed so that, when a batter is out Caught, the new batter shall come in at the end the striker was at, i.e. to face the next ball (unless it is the end of an over).

The good news is that Umpires won't need to consider whether the batsmen crossed or not. The bad news is this is just a stepping stone to 10 ball overs!!!!
  • Law changes effective 1st October:

https://www.lords.org/lords/news-stories/mcc-announces-new-code-of-laws-from-1-october-2022

The most significant is this one:

Law 18 – Batters returning when Caught

First trialled by the ECB in The Hundred at the suggestion of MCC, Law 18.11 has now been changed so that, when a batter is out Caught, the new batter shall come in at the end the striker was at, i.e. to face the next ball (unless it is the end of an over).

The good news is that Umpires won't need to consider whether the batsmen crossed or not. The bad news is this is just a stepping stone to 10 ball overs!!!!
    That will make a difference to the final overs in white ball games, where if the best player is stuck down the wrong end, it will be more difficult to get them back on strike

Also from those changes, saliva has been permanently banned as a means of shining the ball. So players sucking sugary sweets to get more polish won't work now!

• Back to my pet peeve  -  over rate.

Just bowled the 45th over, so half way through the day   -  yet we are around 20 mins until tea. 

And it usually get dark pretty quickly in the Caribbean. This is not mid June in England where you could play until 7pm (not as if that happens anyway unless there has been rain)

I reckon we'll be lucky to get much more than 75 overs today. 
    They managed 86, so quite a lot more.
  • Its been clear since Jonny came back into the side in the india series last summer he had worked on his technique and looked much more put together. He is now seeing the rewards and i really hope it continues. Would love it if we see Jonny the quality test match player of 2016-18 without losing anything in his white ball game.
  • Woakes caught behind for 28 and Overton follows two balls later, caught at short leg

285-8