Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2022

Comments

• Options
    Lord's will suffer financially from a 3 day Test.

But as I got no refund at all from Wednesday, ha ha ha.
  • Options
    i decided to look up ben compton, who had a brilliant beginning of the season, it seems his form in red ball has gone, a couple of starts and some single figure scores in the last round of CC games... 
  • Options

At least Russo is enjoying it 🙄
  • Options
    The difference with Lees sweeping is that he is getting himself outside the line of the ball so can't be out LBW if he misses it. Crawley tried to sweep stump to stump.
    Pathetic, swinging across the line of a ball heading for middle stump. 
  • Options
    We've moved back from row 6 of the Mound Stand, where we were 'melting'.
    Luverly in the shade. 
  • Options
    we're in serious danger of having to field again.
  • Options
    Not now.

Stokes gone.
  • Options
    We've moved back from row 6 of the Mound Stand, where we were 'melting'.
    Luverly in the shade. 
    Jeez.....its only around 23° out there today. Away at Sutton for our pre-season it was around 38°.....and there was no water available.

• Options
    i decided to look up ben compton, who had a brilliant beginning of the season, it seems his form in red ball has gone, a couple of starts and some single figure scores in the last round of CC games... 
    But Compton still averages 62.16 this season and has 1,119 runs to his name in the CC. Given that he has hit three 50s in his five Royal London innings, who is to say he isn't now back in form? We don't know because there are no CC games currently.

Not saying he should be picked necessarily ahead of other contenders but I do question why we keep picking the bloke who averages:

24.25 in the CC this season from 16 innings when it has been easier this season to score runs in red ball
    29.62 in lifetime First Class cricket from 148 innings
    26.06 in Test cricket from 48 innings with 24 of those in single digits
    18.61 in 36 innings since that mammoth 267 exactly two years ago

One can argue how good a player looks, the shots he plays etc etc 'til the cows come home but Crawley has had almost 200 innings to formulate the opinion that he can back that up with consistent scores and he has never done that. He has major technical flaws that are being exposed time and time again. For that reason he is a far better white ball than red ball batsman.

There is only one player I can think of who had a run of this duration in the Test side with a worse average and that was Mike Brearley but then he was selected for a totally different reason and his First Class average was 37.81. Equally, I cannot think of a single England batsman who was picked to open for England with a First Class average of under 30. Can anyone else? 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't Harry Brook start his career as an opener or have I got that wrong?
  • Options
    But Compton still averages 62.16 this season and has 1,119 runs to his name in the CC. Given that he has hit three 50s in his five Royal London innings, who is to say he isn't now back in form? We don't know because there are no CC games currently.

Not saying he should be picked necessarily ahead of other contenders but I do question why we keep picking the bloke who averages:

24.25 in the CC this season from 16 innings when it has been easier this season to score runs in red ball

One can argue how good a player looks, the shots he plays etc etc 'til the cows come home but Crawley has had almost 200 innings to formulate the opinion that he can back that up with consistent scores and he has never done that. He has major technical flaws that are being exposed time and time again. For that reason he is a far better white ball than red ball batsman.

There is only one player I can think of who had a run of this duration in the Test side with a worse average and that was Mike Brearley but then he was selected for a totally different reason and his First Class average was 37.81. Equally, I cannot think of a single England batsman who was picked to open for England with a First Class average of under 30. Can anyone else? 

Crawley is also a double centurion against a decent test team in Pakistan, he can obviously do it, he’s 24 years old, not many batsmen are consistent or even played as much as he has at 24. The problem at the moment is his confidence. 

If we start picking players on their cc average and not on talent etc then we get to the nightmare of the England team of the 90s 
  • Options
    South Africa had a four day preparation and played very well. England had no four day preparation and played poorly. Good summary by Shaun Pollock. 
  • Options
    How dare Pollock insinuate that South Africa, with their prep game against the Lions, were better prepared? It's almost as if he he knows that half our team had their feet up and the rest were playing biff, bang, wallop white ball cricket. Perhaps we should have put out the Lions side instead of this one!
  • Options
    edited August 2022

Crawley is also a double centurion against a decent test team in Pakistan, he can obviously do it, he’s 24 years old, not many batsmen are consistent or even played as much as he has at 24. The problem at the moment is his confidence. 

If we start picking players on their cc average and not on talent etc then we get to the nightmare of the England team of the 90s 
    One innings on a road and a Test match we didn't win. Jos Buttler even got 150 in that game and one Pakistan batsman from memory did so too. And 36 innings and two years later he averages 18. 
    You have to pick on talent but you have to back that up. So, again, I ask you to name one batsman who has ever had a CC average of under 30 and been picked for England? 
  • Options
    looks as though England will be unchanged for Manchester
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:
    South Africa had a four day preparation and played very well. England had no four day preparation and played poorly. Good summary by Shaun Pollock. 
    South Africa were soundly thrashed, by an innings in their one warm up game. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Tutt-Tutt said:
    Here's the scorecard .. England Lions v South Africa - Cricket - BBC Sport
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Tutt-Tutt said:
    And clearly needed the red ball warm up game which they got. What was England's red ball warm up game?
  • Options
    ECB not going to happy about this. Starting a Lord's test on a Wednesday has come back to bite them on the behind
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Tutt-Tutt said:
    And clearly needed the red ball warm up game which they got. What was England's red ball warm up game?
    Tests against New Zealand and India
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Tutt-Tutt said:
    Fantastic warm up - six weeks ago during which time most of them have played nothing but white ball.

And the South Africa bowling attack against the Lions? No Rabada. No Nortje. No Ngidi. They picked up 14 of the wickets to fall in this Test. But the top eight batsmen played in both. So South Africa put out a sub standard bowling attack against the Lions but gave their batsmen time in the middle to adjust to the conditions. 
  • Options

At least Russo is enjoying it 🙄
    She heard that when England bat, there are usually ducks...
  • Options
    ECB not going to happy about this. Starting a Lord's test on a Wednesday has come back to bite them on the behind
    There's still time for them to add a couple of Hundred games over the weekend I would have thought
  • Options

Make that four 50s in six innings
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Tutt-Tutt said:
    Fantastic warm up - six weeks ago during which time most of them have played nothing but white ball.

And the South Africa bowling attack against the Lions? No Rabada. No Nortje. No Ngidi. They picked up 14 of the wickets to fall in this Test. But the top eight batsmen played in both. So South Africa put out a sub standard bowling attack against the Lions but gave their batsmen time in the middle to adjust to the conditions. 
    So, our Test attack was far better prepared than the Saffers'?  And their Test batters warmed up by getting failures out of the way before the series started.  
  • Options
    Had a great day out on my first ever visit to Lord’s. Shame about the cricket. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Tutt-Tutt said:

So, our Test attack was far better prepared than the Saffers'?  And their Test batters warmed up by getting failures out of the way before the series started.  
    You can be a right WUM at times. 
    Which bit do you not agree with? The South African attack had very, very little warm up prior to the first Test.  And their batting in their one warm up game failed abysmally, other than players who didn't play in the Test match.  If I am wrong about this, tell me in what way.  

We didn't lose the Lord's test because our opponents had a far superior series of warm up matches prior to the Test.  We lost because our batting was awful and there's was just adequate.