Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

U23 defender Lucas Ness - Apr 2024: given a 1 year contract extension (p2)

Comments

• Options
    How did he get on at Hampton and Richmond? He must’ve been decent but is he worth another contract?

If he’s out of contract in the summer and teams are circling, we probably have to promise first team football to keep him at the age of 22 and I have no idea if he is ready for League One.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Agent talk surely? I can't see Bournemouth being swayed because he's played well on loan in the 6th tier
  • Options
    edited April 19
    Worst case scenario we'll hopefully get him out to a League Two team on loan next season

Wasn't long ago that Bournemouth and Norwich (?) were showing interest
  • Options
    Worst case scenario we'll hopefully get him out to a League Two team on loan next season

With it only be a 1 year extension I’m not sure it’s worth loaning him out? As he will likely just leave on a free at the end of the loan. Think he’s maybe being kept around as a cheap backup option that we can hopefully develop 
  • Options
    edited April 19
    Jones very precise with his words there. Not exactly full of praise. 

I hope they're not keeping him around as a genuine squad option. 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

With it only be a 1 year extension I’m not sure it’s worth loaning him out? As he will likely just leave on a free at the end of the loan. Think he’s maybe being kept around as a cheap backup option that we can hopefully develop 
    A loan to January to get him regular first team might be ideal. 

It might have been better for all parties if at the end of January we had recalled Mitchell from Colchester and sent Ness there instead, as Cowley wanted more experience at the back, and with the signing of REG and Gillesphey, chances for Ness in our side were likely to be rare.
  • Options
    edited April 19
    Chunes said:
    Jones very precise with his words there. Not exactly full of praise

'he’s a fantastic character, a good defender and someone that’s come through the ranks. We’re very proud of him and very proud to secure him for another year'. Jesus, what's your bar for praise?!
    Did I say he didn't reach the bar for praise...? 

Perhaps I'm over-examining the text but I thought it was a striking drop from "fantastic" character to just "good" defender. That's what I meant by being precise with his words. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NabySarr said:

I don't think he's good enough as a back-up if we're serious about promotion. Seems an odd decision to me.
  • Options
    Good move, it was only a year ago he was rated as the best centre back at the club. If we can get him loaned out to a League Two team then even better.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

Can't we offer him a contract at that point and get a fee for doing so though, given his age?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

'he’s a fantastic character, a good defender and someone that’s come through the ranks. We’re very proud of him and very proud to secure him for another year'. Jesus, what's your bar for praise?!

Perhaps I'm over-examining the text but I thought it was a striking drop from "fantastic" character to just "good" defender. That's what I meant by being precise with his words. 
    I mean he isn't a fantastic defender so not surprising Jones didn't use that word again. 
  • Options
    edited April 19
    Talal said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

I mean he isn't a fantastic defender so not surprising Jones didn't use that word again. 
    Yeah, absolutely, which is what I was trying to say, but for some reason decided to take the long way round.
  • Options
    Feels like a weird fever dream that this time 12 months ago I thought we had a CB who we could build a defense around for years to come, injuries have obviously had an impact but he looks so many miles off that centre half tho broke through last season 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

Can't we offer him a contract at that point and get a fee for doing so though, given his age?
    We're not offering him a Contract in this case though, just taking up something from his previous one, so this summer we can either keep him, or see if someone wants to pay money now.

Or we offer a rubbish "contract" next season, so he rejects it and gets released... But because he'll be under 24, we'll still get Compensation because of that Contract he's technically turned down.
  • Options
    I'm pleased with that. I think he's a good player and under rated. However, wouldn't surprise me if the Club have triggered it so he moves on for a fee, however small. If not then his wages are relatively small I'd imagine and he has potential to improve. Can't see a negative side to it at all. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:

Garrystrawmanilow 

Damn... Thought of that too late.
  • Options
    edited April 19
    NabySarr said:

We're not offering him a Contract in this case though, just taking up something from his previous one, so this summer we can either keep him, or see if someone wants to pay money now.

Or we offer a rubbish "contract" next season, so he rejects it and gets released... But because he'll be under 24, we'll still get Compensation because of that Contract he's technically turned down.
    Yeah I mean in a year.

You mentioned if we loaned him out for.a year he could just leave on a free, but I think we could offer a contract in a year to hopefully get a fee if he does go elsewhere.

So the latter bit of your post basically!
  • Options
    Surprised by this hardly featured .. nailed on being let go ? and can’t see the point of loaning him out for a season then releasing him .. because if we go up he no where near championship standard 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Triggered to see if we can get a fee for him I reckon. 

He'll also be on a relatively small contract at the moment, and extending it by one year will be cheaper than signing someone else and having to give them a signing bonus and the like
    I agree. I think that @Chunes has a very good point about Jones being quite particular about his words. It's obviously hard to say from just a written quote but it seems like he's deliberately NOT saying anything about Ness being part of the team next year or talking about potential.

He's a cheap squad body for now and that's about it. Which is a shame as he looked like he could have been more for a while but in NJ we trust I suppose.
  • Options
    I thought we’d release him. He showed promise last year but hasn’t followed it up 

He’s an excellent ground defender, makes interceptions and doesn’t get beaten 1v1. But he’s poor on the ball and not great in the air. I can’t see him developing either of these enough to be part of our starting 11 anytime soon 
  • Options
    edited April 19
    I’m not sure Ness fits into our 3-5-2, though maybe Jones will switch to a diamond next season.

I don’t see him as one of the wider CBs in a back three where you want a bit more ability on the ball, pace and players who are comfortable sometimes getting forward and offering width.

He also doesn’t fit the central CB mould, someone who could either be the big strong dominating type or good on the ball and step into midfield to move from 3-5-2 to a diamond.

I think he’s got the potential to progress but he’ll need regular game time which I can’t see us offering considering where we want to be.
  • Options
    Lots of players struggle in their 2nd season in senior football. Hence the phrase 2nd season syndrome. Sometimes that player needs some time our the team to work on aspects of their game before returning a better more rounded player. 

Hopefully that's the case with Ness. I'm confident he has a career in league 1 in him. Depends on our style of play and setup next year whether he features. If we stick with 3 at the back we need 6 cbs. Ness as one of those isn't a bad option.
  • Options
    Keeping Ness and letting Hector go won't go well with some.
  • Options
    As a relatively low paid younger player, Ness is very loanable. It won't be hard to find him a club when compared to the senior pros like Fraser on big salaries, where other clubs will want us to pay some of his wages.