Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sheffield Wednesday vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 26th February @ 3pm | Match Preview

Sheffield Wednesday vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 26th February 2022 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Oliver Langford

Introduction
I guess sometimes it has to get worse before things can genuinely get better - For years I'd watch the likes of Carlisle United as they struggled to stay in the Football League. When they finally went down to the Conference, they not only bounced back, yet achieved back to back promotions to League One - Of course I'm not saying that things need to get as extreme for Charlton. But perhaps this is the sort of season we need, proof that there can be no quick fix, regardless of how close we got to the Play-Offs last term.

This Saturday we travel to Sheffield, things really aren't going to get any easier over the next two weeks.

The Opposition
Name: Sheffield Wednesday (8th) | Manager: Darren Moore
Ground: Hillsborough
Previous Meeting: Charlton Athletic 0-0 Sheffield Wednesday

Wow... Feels so long ago now doesnt it, the 2021/22 season kicked off on a late Saturday afternoon; SKY television had decided that the opening day encounter between these two teams was worthy of live coverage, two giants of the game at a lower level than what they should be. Sadly the performance on show wasn't the greatest for the neutral turning in, a drab 0-0 scoreline, potentially showing that this season would be a struggle for both teams.

This is where I should eat humble pie, and is proof that Darren Moore was replaced by West Bromwich Albion at the wrong time - Ahead of that opening day preview, I felt that Sheffield Wednesday would struggle off the field, just as their off field issues... Darren Moore though (as shown with Doncaster Rovers), has proven himself to be an excellent Manager within the Football League, and whilst the Owls barely been in the Play-Offs this campaign, are a team in form, and whilst in 8th, sit just two points outside the Play-Offs. With the likes of Sunderland struggling above them, you cant count out this side from being involved at the end of season festivities.

Its impressive, given the fact that Wednesday lost about 20-players in the summer (Although some of those would have been Academy players released) - Darren Moore has gone about replacing them with solid players such as top scorer: Lee Gregory (8-goals this campaign) and Marvin Johnson from Middlesbrough - Our opponents this weekend have somehow only scored four more goals than ourselves, so once again we can pretty much expect a tale of: "First team to score wins"; Wednesday after all go into this game, looking for their fifth clean sheet in seven games.

Charlton Team News
When Mason Burstow hobbled off on Tuesday night, there must have been a collective sigh that reverberated around South East London - Has there ever been a club that has seen all FOUR strikers absent with injury, all at the same time? - Thankfully it appears that Mason suffered cramp, rather than a hamstring injury against Milton Keynes, so will surely be back in contention tomorrow afternoon.

Elsewhere and it was a welcome relief to see Jayden Stockley, Scott Fraser and Jake Forster-Caskey in training yesterday - Whilst any first team action will be a while for the latter, we'll hopefully see Stockley and Fraser back on the bench at the very least. Sean Clare on the other hand, will continue his suspension, and wont be available until the trip to Accrington Stanley. Usually Ryan Inniss is able to return to action (after missing midweek) - This weekend I imagine we'll truly see if rumours of another long term injury are sadly true.

MacGillivray
Gunter - Lavelle - Famewo
Jaiyesimi - Dobson - Morgan - Purrington
Lee
Leko - Burstow

Substitutes Bench: Harness - Pearce - Castillo - Gilbey - Fraser - Stockley - Campbell

Prediction
Going back to my opening Introduction, I fully expect results to remain as they have been, certainly over the course of the next few weeks - There was a period of results where we were able to pull ourselves away from relegation trouble, yet by the time we face Accrington we should once again be in dire need of three points. This is almost like a classic Curbishley game, where we need to get a result by any means possible, regardless of how ugly it looks.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2022
    The team pretty much picks itself, with only Gilbey (a JJ favourite so unlikely to be dropped), and Matthews (who has been so bad recently he has to be dropped) viable alternative starting options. Castillo doesn't look good enough so BP must come back, and hopefully the experiment of playing just Lee and Leko up front can be forgotten about, so Burstow has to start if fit.
  • Options
    Get Fraser in to feed the runs of Leko and Gilbey and just watch their first touch and/or shot on target if they manage the very complicated latter bit.
  • Options
    This has a 5-0 home win written all over it .
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I can't lift myself out of this cloud of pessimism.
    We carry no threat whatsoever.
    One goal wins it and won't be us. 1-0 Wednesday

Edit - I am reminded of that Mike Tyson quote about everybody having a plan until they get punched in the face. We'll come out motivated and with a plan until we concede a goal
  • Options
    I wasn't too bothered that Burstow looked like he might be out for a few games. He offers very little and if our front two is Leko and Burstow we ought to have a front one at most. We need to think about this game defensively and having two strikers who offer very little threat is taking away from our ability to do that. 
  • Options
    Leko does not play as if he is 4 years older and wiser than Burstow. Playing them both ends up very powder puff.

We are probably better off playing 433 with the players at our disposal, rather than whatever we are attempting at the moment with about half a team playing out of position.
  • Options
    We need to have a plan to deal with our vulnerability to through balls to late runners and height at set pieces. That has to be the priority. In terms of a plan to score goals, well we don't have the means to plan for that. We just have to hope for a lucky break in that respect. The through balls issue needs another midfielder IMO and sacrificing a striker when they have no cutting edge isn't even a sacrifice at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Also has anything on innis been confirmed yet?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    As I mentioned before, we need to be harder to beat. So playing a compact system off the ball with a counter attack in the locker with the wingers we have is needed but that would require a change of system.

Alas, that wont happen so with that this will be another loss after a bright start and then conceding after there first real attack. Lots of a huff and puff following a couple of near misses by us. 

Hope I am proved wrong and we get this reaction Jacko wants but I just cant see it at the moment. Away numbers look fantastic so fair play to all going!

Sheff Wed 1 - Cafc 0
  • Options
    If we go behind its curtains. If we score first we will still probably lose. Another defeat sadly. Can't see Stockley or Fraser starting and I fear that Innis may be out for a while again. ,0-2. Where are the goals coming from. 
  • Options
    So we need to either go for 4-5-1 or let Pearce back in. Who do we start up top in that though? Personally I'd stick with Burstow purely because he can chase down until he tires, then Kanu takes over. 

We really need a clean sheet. 

MacGillivray
    Matthews - Lavelle - Famewo - Purrington
    Dobson
    Jaiyesimi - Morgan - Lee - Castillo
    Burstow?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    So we need to either go for 4-5-1 or let Pearce back in. Who do we start up top in that though? Personally I'd stick with Burstow purely because he can chase down until he tires, then Kanu takes over. 

We really need a clean sheet. 

MacGillivray
    Matthews - Lavelle - Famewo - Purrington
    Dobson
    Jaiyesimi - Morgan - Lee - Castillo
    Burstow?
    I agree that we probably need to revert to a back four, but I think Jackson is stubborn and will stick with three at the back. Whichever formation we play, please leave Matthews in London! I also think Jackson will stick with his mates Gilbey and Leko. Unless Jackson is bluffing about the injury situation and one of our three senior strikers can start, I can see more of the same - a defeat without scoring. Sadly, I can see 3-0 to Chef Wendy.
  • Options
    Big Mac
    Mathews Lavelle Pearce Famewo Purrington 
    Jay. John  Dobson Castillo   
              Burstow

If Inniss is fit drop Mathews and play Lavelle wide.
    Just try and stop the rot.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    We would be better off playing Lee up front than Burstow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We'll get overpowered in this one, 2 or 3 - 0 to Sheff Weds.  Interesting to see Stockley may be back on the bench.  We don't have the steel needed to tough it out 
  • Options
    Sheff Wed will score at least two. We will score at most one. Only chance of getting something is a prayer that their strikers put their boots on the wrong feet.
  • Options
    I can see a 0-0 somehow
  • Options
    We are 4-1 to win, we have lost our last four games.
    We will win.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Their pitch is ruined meaning playing football will be impossible for us as we can’t even play on a good pitch. Without Stockley/Aneke up front we can’t play long/direct which is what will be needed. Expecting a 2 or 3-0 loss. Game plan should be to try and keep it to 1-0 at most until Stockley comes on and then maybe we can nick something 
  • Options
    It's one of those games that I'm thinking we will get stuffed in or somehow sneak an improbable win, so in hope I'll go for a very unlikely 0-1 win.
  • Options
    1-0 Charlton Leko goalscorer. Watch this space.!
  • Options
    So Inniss is fit then - not mentioned in the round up of crocks.
  • Options
    Good to see that they have more injuries than us, although you generally find when the OS puts down opponents names who are missing you normally find a few starting ! 
    We are so nailed on to lose that you'll probably find we'll win. Scrappy goal from a corner or free kick. OG most likely. 

0 -1 and the red's are bob bob bobbin once again

• Options
    Good to see that they have more injuries than us, although you generally find when the OS puts down opponents names who are missing you normally find a few starting ! 
    We are so nailed on to lose that you'll probably find we'll win. Scrappy goal from a corner or free kick. OG most likely. 

0 -1 and the red's are bob bob bobbin once again

Barry Bannan could have 2 broken legs & yet he'd still manage to score against us ! 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!