Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Women’s Cricket World Cup in New Zealand

Comments

• Options
    Bangladesh don't bowl and field like genuine minnows! They absolutely should have beaten WI comfortably. Alas, they can't bat so well
  • Options
    Satterthwaite is a good player as well as Devine, I am being reminded......as I type, oh good she's out 
  • Options
    Good lord what a catch from Knight!
  • Options
    Glad I stayed up for that. Shrubsole redeemed after that WI defeat! What an almighty near-choke mind
  • Options
    England beat NZ by one wicket but blimey what a finish.  I thought England were going to coast towards the White Ferns 203.  They needed 28 from 57 balls with 6 wickets in hand but had to rely on the last pair at the wicket to score I think it was 10 runs.  Anyway, an England win and I think NZ are probably out of contention.
  • Options
    WI have to play Pakistan and SA.
    India have to play Bangladesh and SA.
    We face the bottom 2 sides so should get to 8 points but will likely be left relying on SA winning their games for us to qualify.
  • Options
    If England beat both Bangladesh and Pakistan, and South Africa lose to both WI and India, net run rate means we'll qualify ahead of them unless they beat Australia or Aus-SA gets rained off. It's certainly possible for us to miss out that way, but it's probably less likely than the more obvious route of us tripping up against Bangladesh. 
  • Options
    Rain has restricted the WI v Pak game to 20 overs. Pakistan have bowled really well. WI scoring just 89/7 off their 20 overs.

A Pakistan win will obviously be great for England.
  • Options
    Rain has restricted the WI v Pak game to 20 overs. Pakistan have bowled really well. WI scoring just 89/7 off their 20 overs.

Not if it means Pakistan have suddenly hit some good form!
  • Options

Not if it means Pakistan have suddenly hit some good form!
    I wouldn't say they've hit good form, more that the shorter format gives them more of a chance than 50 overs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A good win for Pakistan in the 20 over rain shortened game.  West Indies made 89/7 and Pakistan knocked off the runs with 7 balls left after losing just 2 wickets.
  • Options
    Currently everyone can technically still qualify, although NZ need an unlikely combination of results and Pakistan need a miracle. Australia are through, South Africa are favourites to also qualify, and the most likely is that two of WI, India & England get the other two slots.

The four teams that can still get to eight points are:
    - WI need to beat SA
    - India need to beat Bangladesh and SA
    - England need to beat Bangladesh and Pakistan
    - Bangladesh need to beat England, India and Australia

If two of those succeed, they go through with Australia and SA. If three do, it goes to net run rate with West Indies most likely to miss out. But if WI hammer SA then it could be SA that miss out unless they can beat Australia or India. If only one of the four reaches 8 points, then someone could go through with 6 points which opens things up for NZ.

Although Bangladesh are extremely unlikely to qualify, they do have the opportunity to put one of India or England out of contention. And if they don't manage that but SA beat WI, then Pakistan will have effectively knocked WI out. So a blow has been struck for the minnows either way.

England need to focus on winning their two games. Manage that and we're probably third rather than fourth, which means a better chance of reaching the final. It's the chances of reaching third place which have really benefited from WI losing to Pakistan.
  • Options
    Will we have what it takes to drop Brunt in a knockout fixture is what I want to know. Yeah Shrubsole hasn't been great either but she's had at least a couple of decent games

(the answer: they will maybe rest Brunt against Ban/Pak but against SA/Aus they will play her no matter what and she'll bowl like a drain again) 
  • Options
    I quite like Shrubsole - after Blackpools excellent description and her heroics against NZ she’s a star (in my book).  She’s not going into Celebrity Crushes though.
  • Options
    I quite like Shrubsole - after Blackpools excellent description and her heroics against NZ she’s a star (in my book).  She’s not going into Celebrity Crushes though.

• Options
    😄😏
  • Options
    Australia beat South Africa today by 5 wickets with 28 balls left.  In the other game India hammered Bangladesh by 110 runs in the 41st over.

There aren’t any games tomorrow (Wednesday) but on Thursday England play Pakistan starting at 1am GMT and the West Indies take on South Africa.

• Options
    Ideally we'd have liked India-Bangladesh to be closer, as India's improved net run rate now makes it harder to reach third in the table, but I reckon both those results are favourable for us to qualify. South Africa need to beat at least one of India or WI to make sure of qualification, and Bangladesh will already be out before they face us unless they can beat Australia.

Next up is SA-WI. WI aren't officially out if they lose, but due to NRR in practice they'd need a miraculous combination of results. Even a win may not be enough, unless it's by a big enough margin to go ahead of SA on NRR or alternatively SA then beat India.
  • Options
    Tha NZ PM has just announced changes to mandates etc surrounding our response to COVID, among them the lifting of restriction on crowd attendances at outdoor events, effective from this Saturday.  Until now the restriction for the current World Cup was 10% of crowd capacity.  Hopefully this will lead to decent crowds for the final matches. Expect the Aussies to come pouring across the border for the final (assuming they make it).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I apologise if my comment regarding Shrubsole came across as being rude.
    (It did)
    The point I was trying to make was that some of the England players look nowhere fit enough compared to some of the other sides.
    Earlier on in the competition a West Indian woman , sorry I can't remember her name  took an absolutely brilliant diving catch.i have also seen plenty of other excellent catches and fielding from other sides.
    So to reiterate some of the England players do not seem to be as fit or agile as other sides do.
    I apologise for singling out Shrubsole though.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Definitely no apology required Blackpool.  There used to be a rural description of a ladies ample hindquarters as being “one and a half axe handles across the beam”. Your description of Anya (I think that’s her name) came nowhere near that.
  • Options
    England reward Dean for being their best bowler of the tournament by dropping her. It really is an old girls' club
  • Options
    Not as insane a selection call as Pakistan dropping someone who fired them to victory with the bat in their last game. The replacement was of course out to the first ball of the match 
  • Options
    Managed to find womens cricket on the tv after what seemed like we’d exhausted all the channels. 

Only found West Indies v SA. Which I think has been halved in length and started 4 hours late due to weather. Only 26 overs each. Windies started well and SA are 46-4
  • Options
    Ooooohhhh rain in Wellington. Coverage may swap over! 
  • Options
    American football. 😏
  • Options
    SA v WI declared a no result, 1 point each which means that SA qualify for the semis. WI end on 7 points, which means that if England win both their last 2 games they'll be in the semi finals.

WI need India or England to lose a game or they're out.
  • Options
    England cruise to victory inside 20 overs, giving a big boost to our NRR.
  • Options
    A point for the Windies today should see them into the semi-finals along with Australia and South Africa.  The fourth place is between England and India.  The final group game for both is on Sunday, India v South Africa in Christchurch and England v Bangladesh in Wellington.

It was a dismal day in Wellington today - I can testify to that - and the game was eventually reduced to 26 overs.  West Indies sent South Africa in and they made 61/4 in 11 overs before they packed it in.

Pakistan we’re all out for 105 in the 42nd over after being sent in by England.  Brunt and Ecclestone took 3 each.  It took En gland just 20 overs to knock off the runs, great for our run rate.