Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scores of SUVs have tyres deflated by activists

12346»

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Advertising isn’t about outright lying, after all there are even rules to rein that kind of thing in.
    I don’t believe that 95% of advertising is about being informative either.
    The question remains for me what is it for, and the conclusion I come back to is attempting to wrest control from your capacity to think for yourself.
    Why use the word ‘only’ in something like ‘only £99.99’, or ‘just’ for that matter. Adjectives generally can be scattered around that are unprovable. Charlton do it for example when they assert there will be a ‘delicious’ three course lunch on match days. My response is ‘delicious who says, according to what?’
    I mean a scantily clad person striding purposefully through an oak panelled room scattering diamonds to advertise scent, what’s that all about? Attached to a slogan like ‘ascend to freedom’ accompanied by a dramatic chord or whatever.
    Really?
    Lies…no.
    Informative…no.
    Manipulative (therefore very suspect)…yes.
    There is some credence in advertising introducing something that hasn’t been around before…but how many actual blades does a razor really fecking need…then described as some kind of breakthrough!
    Some say there is artistic merit in adverts, or humour. Of course there is, but ask yourself why, a free gift for the common cultural good?
    Where MacDonalds even describe their unadulterated shyte as a ‘meal’?
    I believe advertisers want to do your thinking for you, and therefore must be analysed to the nth degree in order to resist.
    One classic example is car manufacturers stating a vehicle has been voted “car of the year” etc…….well by whom exactly?
    Bonafide motoring organisations, customers who have purchased one, the sales team that sell them or the ladies in the assembly plant cafeteria who just liked the lovely new colour range?

By whomever they have to state in the advert....
    Well I can categorically state that I have many a time seen these claims on vehicle window stickers saying Van of the year for example, with no reference whatsoever as to whose Van of the year.🤔
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Isn't the car pictured a Citroen Ami which is electric?
    Yeah, just saying that 14 year olds can drive them under the same rule as the .5l cars
    There are some 14 year olds I wouldn't trust alone in a house let alone driving on the road.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Yeah, just saying that 14 year olds can drive them under the same rule as the .5l cars
    There are some 14 year olds I wouldn't trust alone in a house let alone driving on the road.
    To be honest, people that I've actually noticed driving them are elderly blokes . There's also a lad with learning difficulties from our local village who has one (Aixam), and he's done it up with spoeilers, cherry popped exhaust, the works. Still only goes about 30kmh though lol
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    MrWalker said:
    Wow - advertising is lying shyte? Who knew?
    Bit disappointed to see @AddicksAddict liking this trite jibe, since he at least knows how the Valley Party was successful. The VP campaign came from the same agency, at the same time, as the VW campaign, and nobody called that lying shite. 

Again for those interested; Well crafted campaigns involve first listening carefully to what target audiences currently believe, and basically seek to either reinforce positive beliefs or change negative ones. One of my favourite ever ads is the 1979 Golf one which affectionately takes the piss out of the Japanese. It was built on a perception British people already had about German stuff generally (and which still holds true today, look around the average middle-class household and spot the German brands). The situation was, the Japanese were getting their act together in the factories, but not in their marketing departments. VAG UK (including Audi) had a legendary marketing guy called John Mezcaros who was brave enough to sign off on campaigns like this and "Vorsprung durch technik" and the Japanese had gofers. So of course VW pressed home the advantage as long as they could of the *perception* that German stuff is built better. 

"Velly tough as old boot. Velly reriable"
    @PragueAddick - corrected.

I meant to give it a LoL, even though I don't usually use that, because it was so naff, but obviously hit the wrong button.  On reflection, it doesn't even deserve a sarcastic lol.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    _MrDick said:
    I have a Nissan X-trail so it’s an SUV. The engine size is 1.3 so hardly a gas guzzler. I just hope they know what’s what and don’t just target SUV’s that they think are gas guzzlers 
    Just out of interest, I'm not attacking you, but why do you have an SUV?  Do you do off-road driving?
    Most SUV's aren't built for off roading. 

EDIT: I think people are getting hung up on the term SUV. A large proportion of SUV's are no more than a taller car. Back to what I said earlier, a lot of them aren't any wider and are often shorter than an estate car, they're just taller.
    Exactly. I bought a Land Rover Freelander to make driving in the snow a bit less exciting. When I parked it at our little condo development, the woman who parked next to me complained about my big SUV taking up so much space. I did my bit of research and point out her can was longer, they were about the same width, the only real difference was height. 

But I live in a land where compact cars are rarer than Charlton goals. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    _MrDick said:
    I have a Nissan X-trail so it’s an SUV. The engine size is 1.3 so hardly a gas guzzler. I just hope they know what’s what and don’t just target SUV’s that they think are gas guzzlers 
    Just out of interest, I'm not attacking you, but why do you have an SUV?  Do you do off-road driving?

EDIT: I think people are getting hung up on the term SUV. A large proportion of SUV's are no more than a taller car. Back to what I said earlier, a lot of them aren't any wider and are often shorter than an estate car, they're just taller.
    Exactly. I bought a Land Rover Freelander to make driving in the snow a bit less exciting. When I parked it at our little condo development, the woman who parked next to me complained about my big SUV taking up so much space. I did my bit of research and point out her can was longer, they were about the same width, the only real difference was height. 

And where the roads and car parks are, and always have been, designed with that knowledge. That’s part of the issue which is kind of being glossed over by the SUV defenders here. Cars in all sectors have grown bigger. Nothing illustrates it better than when you see a modern Mini alongside an original. Look at what used to be a big car 30 years ago. I came across a Rover 3 litre in the summer. No bigger than my DS5. The bigger the cars at the top get, the bigger all the others get. Ask any British urban planner, struggling to create a bike lane that is more than just a lick of paint.
  • Options

Yes - and due in the UK this year. Top speed 28mph and a range of 48 miles. Charges fully in 3 hours using a standard three-pin plug.

They will not be able to build enough of them and they will develop a cult status, irrespective of their practicability. That said, living in a city with just short journeys means that they will be practical for some.

List price of around £6k, I expect they will appreciate in value in the short-term as supply will nowhere near meet demand. Do I want one - errr no! Have I paid the refundable deposit of £250 - too bloody right I have!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    _MrDick said:

Personally, what I don't like about SUVs is their height. I wouldn't want my children, my wife or myself to have an accident with one as a pedestrian or cyclist. My wife was hit by an ordinary car at a roundabout last year.

Back in 2003 I was coming down a hill on my bike, a car pulled out in front of me and I flew over the bonnet. Had that been an SUV then I would have been thrown into a solid surface. 

As a car driver I once made the same mistake myself (only I was hit by a truck not a bike). These accidents happen.

For 'small' accidents involving pedestrians and cyclists I'm sure that SUVs are far more dangerous.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    _MrDick said:

Personally, what I don't like about SUVs is their height. I wouldn't want my children, my wife or myself to have an accident with one as a pedestrian or cyclist. My wife was hit by an ordinary car at a roundabout last year.

Back in 2003 I was coming down a hill on my bike, a car pulled out in front of me and I flew over the bonnet. Had that been an SUV then I would have been thrown into a solid surface. 

As a car driver I once made the same mistake myself (only I was hit by a truck not a bike). These accidents happen.

For 'small' accidents involving pedestrians and cyclists I'm sure that SUVs are far more dangerous.
    Common sense suggests you are right. And yet while more and more SUVs are on the road we have a situation where there has been an average of 430 pedestrian deaths every year between 2012 and 2020. The worst year was 2017 with 470 deaths and 2020 was the best with "only" 346 deaths (lockdown keeping people at home?). While every death is a tragedy that relatively small figure needs to be seen in context, rather than treating it as a reason to demonise drivers and SUV drivers in particular.  

The 430 figure is similar to the average 400 people that drown every year in the UK - four times more than the number of cyclists killed by the way and yet we hear remarkably little about drowning or that the parents of 45% of children aged 7-11 can't be arsed to get their kids to learn how to swim 25 meters unaided.

Meanwhile, again in the UK, there were in excess of 6,000 deaths and 2.700,000 individuals requiring a hospital visit.  Where did this carnage take place?  Why, in the home of course.  And - that 400 figure again - the number of poisonings involving laundry tablets.

In other words, if you want to stay safe go outside and play with the traffic because the home is truly a very dangerous place indeed.

So to summarise, and thinking about specks and planks, I wonder how many of the members of the charity Brake, who just love having a dig at drivers, have got fire alarms, CO2 detectors, fire blankets and fire extinguishers fitted in their homes.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    _MrDick said:

Common sense suggests you are right. And yet while more and more SUVs are on the road we have a situation where there has been an average of 430 pedestrian deaths every year between 2012 and 2020. The worst year was 2017 with 470 deaths and 2020 was the best with "only" 346 deaths (lockdown keeping people at home?). While every death is a tragedy that relatively small figure needs to be seen in context, rather than treating it as a reason to demonise drivers and SUV drivers in particular.  

The 430 figure is similar to the average 400 people that drown every year in the UK - four times more than the number of cyclists killed by the way and yet we hear remarkably little about drowning or that the parents of 45% of children aged 7-11 can't be arsed to get their kids to learn how to swim 25 meters unaided.

Meanwhile, again in the UK, there were in excess of 6,000 deaths and 2.700,000 individuals requiring a hospital visit.  Where did this carnage take place?  Why, in the home of course.  And - that 400 figure again - the number of poisonings involving laundry tablets.

In other words, if you want to stay safe go outside and play with the traffic because the home is truly a very dangerous place indeed.

So to summarise, and thinking about specks and planks, I wonder how many of the members of the charity Brake, who just love having a dig at drivers, have got fire alarms, CO2 detectors, fire blankets and fire extinguishers fitted in their homes.
    It might be worth pointing out that people spend far more time in their home than they do as "pedestrians". 

I would guess most people spend an average of16 hours per day in their home while they spend on average less than 5 minutes per day walking along the street.   (I am assuming that at least 50% of the population almost NEVER walk along a street!). Those 5 minutes are very dangerous!

I would not advise that best way to keep a child safe is for him or her to spend the night repeatedly negotiating a crowded traffic junction - at home in bed would be a much better option!

Not really bothered about SUVs - but I don't like pointless statistics that prove nothing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2022
    There are reasons why SUV drivers deserve a bad reputation.

• Options
    Crusty54 said:

Not sure what’s wrong there - parking half on half off would have reduced traffic flow and caused a jam and, therefore, pollution. The owner is clearly an environmentalist.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

Herbert Road?
  • Options
    Salt from Salt & Pepper looks like she's got the hump
  • Options
    Personally i don't consider a Q3 an SUV. Just a slightly larger hatchback. Inconsiderate driver yes. There are lots of videos of cycling  twats but that doesn't make all cyclists  idiots and to be despised. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Crusty54 said:

Herbert Road?
    Good spot. You can just about make out my old flat on the left past the shop.  I’d also like to point out people would park on the pavement then (1987-93). They didn’t need an SUV. Any car would do. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Crusty54 said:

Herbert Road?
    Good spot. You can just about make out my old flat on the left past the shop.  I’d also like to point out people would park on the pavement then (1987-93). They didn’t need an SUV. Any car would do. 
    Used to go Eaglesfield and we'd get our snap out of that corner shop, and my 1st girlfriend lived down Llanover Road 👍
  • Options
    Would say that Q3 crossover is parked directly outside the church. It ain't the vicars is it?
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

Not sure what’s wrong there - parking half on half off would have reduced traffic flow and caused a jam and, therefore, pollution. The owner is clearly an environmentalist.
    You do know it's illegal to park on the pavement, in Lindon at least. It doesn't seem to be particularly enforced
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    Crusty54 said:

You do know it's illegal to park on the pavement, in Lindon at least. It doesn't seem to be particularly enforced
    On the day I took the picture there were 8 cars parked half on the kerb between here and Red Lion Lane. The driver is the lady in the photo. Her excuse was "I'm only dropping off some shopping". She obviously needs the car for it's off road capabilities.

Lots of mums with pushchairs use this stretch of the pavement. No consideration on her part.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yea that gets right on my tits when cars park on the pavement like that. I have a smart car down my road that does the same every now and then which forces me to walk in the road with our pram. Will force a wheelchair user to do exactly the same. Proper pisstake. 
  • Options
    How utterly pathetic. Deflating the tyres of a fleet of 747's or inventing something to mop up the enormous CO2 output of a volcano may be something worth pursuing. I hope they all get community service penalties where they have to reinflate all the tyres of SUV's they let down. In fact they should have to wash the cars too! 
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    _MrDick said:

It might be worth pointing out that people spend far more time in their home than they do as "pedestrians". 

I would guess most people spend an average of16 hours per day in their home while they spend on average less than 5 minutes per day walking along the street.   (I am assuming that at least 50% of the population almost NEVER walk along a street!). Those 5 minutes are very dangerous!

I would not advise that best way to keep a child safe is for him or her to spend the night repeatedly negotiating a crowded traffic junction - at home in bed would be a much better option!

Not really bothered about SUVs - but I don't like pointless statistics that prove nothing.
    I’d love to live your life if you think being at home for 16 hours a day and on the road for 5 minutes is ‘normal’ 
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

Should be charged for the damage to the paving slabs, this could be a trip hazard for people using the pavement.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    _MrDick said:

I’d love to live your life if you think being at home for 16 hours a day and on the road for 5 minutes is ‘normal’ 
    Not normal but average!

Think about the percentage of the population that hardly ever leave their home for more than a few minutes. Elderly people (some in care homes) - young children - and now WFH!  Plus all those who do work but may leave their home for a few hours most days.

I reckon these people would balance out those who go to work (but still spend 10 hours per day at home - mostly sleeping). 16 hours average at home seems about right to me!

As I suggested the majority of people in the UK virtually never WALK along a street. Mainly the elderly, children and car drivers. I don't drive much and get the train to work but I still don't really spend more than half and hour per day as a pedestrian on the roadside. My guess for the average would  be around 5 minutes!