Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Boys of Summer 2022

Comments

• Similar to last year for the Giants. Started slowish and just took off. I like Kapler. Never seems to get flustered. 
  • Fiiiiiish said:
    In May I managed to get to see the Red Sox at Fenway Park. After doing the tour 10 years ago (which is excellent) and seeing them play the Yankees back in 2019 at the Olympic Park, it was so satisfying being back in Boston to watch them play at home.

Unfortunately the Red Sox got pumped 13-4 by the Astros but I really didn't mind too much as it was just great to be there and dry (previous night was a downpour). All the runs were scored by the 5th inning, so the game kind of just petered out. So i decided to head to the Sam Adams bar for the 7th innings to join others watching the Celtics who were up against the Bucks and then headed to the bar in the bleachers stand for the final 2 innings, which was thriving.

This was my second baseball game in America (Saw the Mets previously) and it really is such a romantic sport to just sit down and take in.

I was a really special trip for a number of reasons including seeing the Red Sox but mainly because we plucked up the courage to take our 9 month old on a plane for his first trip abroad. 

Few pics from the game.

It’s a great old stadium. So much character.
  • Fenway is a great stadium ... quirky and with a nice atmosphere.  The City is OK too.

Not sure if anyone is trying to 'do the 30'.

I can claim Fenway, Citizens Bank Park (Philadelphia), the Nationals in Washington and Camden Yards in Baltimore.

Oh, and the old Yankee Stadium ... my first live game in about 2000 where I saw El Duque pitch in a 3-0 win over the Red Sox.  This, of course, makes me a Yankee fan by the immoveable Rudd Rule ... your team (in whichever sport and in whichever country) is the one that you see live at home for the first time.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Fenway is a great stadium ... quirky and with a nice atmosphere.  The City is OK too.

I can claim Fenway, Citizens Bank Park (Philadelphia), the Nationals in Washington and Camden Yards in Baltimore.

Oh, and the old Yankee Stadium ... my first live game in about 2000 where I saw El Duque pitch in a 3-0 win over the Red Sox.  This, of course, makes me a Yankee fan by the immoveable Rudd Rule ... your team (in whichever sport and in whichever country) is the one that you see live at home for the first time.
    I would love to do the 30.
    Back in 2004 when I first visited the US I did Fenway Park (Boston), Wrigley Field (Chicago) and the old Shea Stadium (New York Mets). I wouldn’t go to Yankee stadium because I refuse to give those buggers any more money 😎
    While living stateside 2018-2021 I went to games at Nats Park (DC), Fenway (again), PNC (Pittsburgh) and Rogers Center (Toronto). Really wanted to do Camden Yards as it wasn’t far from where I lived (DC) and also planned to travel to the West Coast to see some of the California teams play, but the pandemic put paid to both of those.
    So I’ve ticked off 6 stadia, including one that no longer exists, which doesn’t sound like many does it? 😂
  • edited June 2022
    Dave Rudd said:
    Fenway is a great stadium ... quirky and with a nice atmosphere.  The City is OK too.

Back in 2004 when I first visited the US I did Fenway Park (Boston), Wrigley Field (Chicago) and the old Shea Stadium (New York Mets). I wouldn’t go to Yankee stadium because I refuse to give those buggers any more money 😎
    While living stateside 2018-2021 I went to games at Nats Park (DC), Fenway (again), PNC (Pittsburgh) and Rogers Center (Toronto). Really wanted to do Camden Yards as it wasn’t far from where I lived (DC) and also planned to travel to the West Coast to see some of the California teams play, but the pandemic put paid to both of those.
    So I’ve ticked off 6 stadia, including one that no longer exists, which doesn’t sound like many does it? 😂
    Curse!  You're ahead of me.

Try to get to Camden Yards.  They have a bunch of 'old boys' (legends maybe) who will take you under their wing when they realise that you are a Brit who knows a bit about the game.  I kept in touch with one guy for some years after my visit ... and even got invited into their fantasy league.

What a sport it is, though.  Perfect for everyone.  Families, kids and the sports jocks.
  • Astros pitched two immaculate innings (by different pitchers) in the same game, a 1st in MLB history since this type of data began. Even more unusual was that it was the same three batters involved in both innings.
  • Dave Rudd said:

By the Rudd Rule, I’m a Gooner or a spanner, a little bit of research will be needed to find out which.

Fuuucckkkk!!
  • Dave Rudd said:

Stadia!!! A man after my own heart.
  • Fenway, Wrigley and Camden are my favourites - proper venues with an old school vibe. Enjoyed games at San Fran with the canoeists looking for a home run ball in the bay. Dodger stadium, Angels Stadium off the list as OC is where my wife grew up and our second home.

Trying to do all the states and got to 37 but its getting a bit tricky now...... Need to cover off Montana, Idaho and Wyoming somehow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dave Rudd said:

By the Rudd Rule, I’m a Gooner or a spanner, a little bit of research will be needed to find out which.

Fuuucckkkk!!
    Sorry to inflict it on you.  It works in your favour sometimes, and against on others.

For example, my Spanish team is Real Madrid, whereas I have to root for FC Viikingit in Finland.
  • Tonight The Braves, on a 14 game winning streak played at the Cubs, on a 10 game losing streak.
    Result? Atlanta 0-1 Cubs
    A bit lke Charlton v Swindon in 1999-2000
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:

Fuuucckkkk!!
    Sorry to inflict it on you.  It works in your favour sometimes, and against on others.

For example, my Spanish team is Real Madrid, whereas I have to root for FC Viikingit in Finland.
    I agree in general with the Rudd Rule - as a result, I follow Schalke 04, Atalanta, Barcelona and Vålerenga in Germany, Italy, Spain and Norway respectively.
    However, for baseball I claim an exception. Prior to my first trip to the states, I was already following both the Red Sox and the Cubs because I’d become hooked on baseball thanks to the magnificent ‘Baseball on 5’ (with Jonny Gould And Josh Chetwynd). So I planned to visit both Fenway and Wrigley on my first visit. I just happened to start my US tour in New York, so the Mets game was my first. I don’t mind the Mets, but I have no affinity to them at all, I just wanted to watch another game at another stadium and the opportunity arose!
    So there you have it. Don't judge me! 😉
  • edited June 2022
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:

Fuuucckkkk!!

I agree in general with the Rudd Rule - as a result, I follow Schalke 04, Atalanta, Barcelona and Vålerenga in Germany, Italy, Spain and Norway respectively.
    However, for baseball I claim an exception. Prior to my first trip to the states, I was already following both the Red Sox and the Cubs because I’d become hooked on baseball thanks to the magnificent ‘Baseball on 5’ (with Jonny Gould And Josh Chetwynd). So I planned to visit both Fenway and Wrigley on my first visit. I just happened to start my US tour in New York, so the Mets game was my first. I don’t mind the Mets, but I have no affinity to them at all, I just wanted to watch another game at another stadium and the opportunity arose!
    So there you have it. Don't judge me! 😉
    The Rudd Rule is not for everyone.  We impose it on ourselves ... not others.

But it helps to avoid the obvious 'glory hunter' tag and provides a bit of moral fibre in a world of ever-declining standards.

Stavanger for me in Norway.  Hellas Verona in Italy and AIK in Greece.  Bordeaux in France, Djurgårdens in Sweden and Aarhus in Denmark.  Oh yes ... and Briedeblik in Iceland (JBG's old team).

*sighs*  Inverness CT up North.

One result ... I got taken to see Kärpät in Oulu one time in 2005.  Finnish ice hockey champions that year, and regularly since then. 

As I said, you win some, you lose some.   Kent, for example.  
  • Macronate said:
    Astros pitched two immaculate innings (by different pitchers) in the same game, a 1st in MLB history since this type of data began. Even more unusual was that it was the same three batters involved in both innings.
    And still Maton didn't crack a smile!
  • Tonight The Braves, on a 14 game winning streak played at the Cubs, on a 10 game losing streak.
    Result? Atlanta 0-1 Cubs
    A bit lke Charlton v Swindon in 1999-2000
    I kept thinking I was going to miss something special every innings.....nope.

The Wrigleyville jerseys were pretty nice.
  • Blue Jay's have had a brilliant comeback against the Yankees, great match up. Worth checking in on BT sports if able for the last couple of innings.
  • Fiiiiiish said:
    Blue Jay's have had a brilliant comeback against the Yankees, great match up. Worth checking in on BT sports if able for the last couple of innings.
    Yes, quite a game.  Currently 9-10 to the Blue Jays with one Yankee out in the top of the 8th.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Fiiiiiish said:
    Blue Jay's have had a brilliant comeback against the Yankees, great match up. Worth checking in on BT sports if able for the last couple of innings.
    Yes, quite a game.  Currently 9-10 to the Blue Jays with one Yankee out in the top of the 8th.
    Judge strike out....should be the confidence boost to see them home, unless they Charlton it.
  • Sponsored links:

• We move in to the 9th ... NYY 9 - 10 TOR.
  • 9 - 10 final score.  What a game ... and 'fair play' to the Blue Jays for coming back from 3 - 8 down.
  • Brilliant game, had everything really.

Was waiting for Rizzo to hit a home run there and really make a spicy 9th innings 

Shout out for Lourdes Gurriel Junior with essentially the game winning hit and having a 2010 Neymar hairstyle.
  • I read somewhere that the yankees blue jays 3 game series returned around $18 million in gate receipts. Incredible 
  • Red Sox took the series against the Cards - continuing their bounce back from a horrendous April that still hangs like a lead weight on their season.

AL East is crazy strong this year.
  • Does anyone else subscribe to MLB.TV?

It's about $120 for a season ... superb value.  Any game, any time.
  • yes I do. I watch and listen to a game a day it’s fantastic. I also love the red zone type show on Sunday evenings. 
  • And now, going down in the next level under the MLB, it's the boys and the girl of summer, 2022.

Good luck to her. 

One clarification on this, this isn’t the next level under MLB. This is an independent league, outside the MLB/Minor League structure. At best it would be below Double A, so level 4. 
  • Astros had a combined no hitter in beating the Yankees earlier