Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

P&O sack/make redundant 800 staff on the spot

Comments

• seth plum said:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60849957

Seems Prime Minister Johnson was making it up as he went along today, again.
    Chris Grayling mucked things up and Johnson was ignorant of that.
    Yet today in Parliament he strengthened his ignorance.
    You sound suprised?
  • Not surprised.
    But I felt the need to comment specifically as it is related to this particular P&O topic, and I am unable to comment in this way on the House of Commoners section because for some reason or other I am banned from there.
    I hasten to add no reason need be given according to the terms and conditions of Charlton Life, so I accept the decision of course.
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Huskaris said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Amazing how people’s loyalties are so entrenched that they can’t even call this out as a bad thing. Sad really. 
    I think the people with entrenched loyalties might be the same dozen or so who manage to turn literally any issue happening in the UK into a Brexit/Tory issue. It's boring.

Haven't seen anyone saying this isn't a bad thing by the way, but feel free to quote the posts that do :-)
    Well said, they have their own section to bore the pants of each other and come out with a load of old crap, but hey ho self indulgence must be spread elsewhere.
    It’s a shame you guys don’t read others’ posts before posting. A reasonable debate, with reasonable people, and you come up with something like that. 
    Or are you just on the wind up? 
    No wind up  nearly every post gets turned into Brexit or Tory bashing  by the same people. Like little JOBs who just talk shite as their sore losers who make up stories to pretend their angry. Makes them get through the day i guess.

And I do read other posts, but only those that talk sense and dont have a political angle. I skip through the usual suspects and ignore them unless it's their comical rantings on the Brexit thread.

But the sensible ones are getting few and far between as I know they get bored of it also.
    So you don’t read the posts of people who don’t share your politics. In other words your mind is firmly closed to all arguments. That’s a shame, and it makes it hard to take your posts seriously. 

JamesSeed said:
    Huskaris said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Amazing how people’s loyalties are so entrenched that they can’t even call this out as a bad thing. Sad really. 
    I think the people with entrenched loyalties might be the same dozen or so who manage to turn literally any issue happening in the UK into a Brexit/Tory issue. It's boring.

Haven't seen anyone saying this isn't a bad thing by the way, but feel free to quote the posts that do :-)
    Well said, they have their own section to bore the pants of each other and come out with a load of old crap, but hey ho self indulgence must be spread elsewhere.
    It’s a shame you guys don’t read others’ posts before posting. A reasonable debate, with reasonable people, and you come up with something like that. 
    No wind up  nearly every post gets turned into Brexit or Tory bashing  by the same people. Like little JOBs who just talk shite as their sore losers who make up stories to pretend their angry. Makes them get through the day i guess.

And I do read other posts, but only those that talk sense and dont have a political angle. I skip through the usual suspects and ignore them unless it's their comical rantings on the Brexit thread.

But the sensible ones are getting few and far between as I know they get bored of it also.
    So you don’t read the posts of people who don’t share your politics. In other words your mind is firmly closed to all arguments. That’s a shame, and it makes it hard to take your posts seriously. 

I clearly stated i do read other people's posts but only the sensible ones. Would you like me to repeat it for the third time. I assume the above has been said of you and you are just repeating it, happens a lot here.
    So you don’t read all the posts, which is what I meant. You’re selective. How can you decide if a post is sensible or not if you won’t read the ones you think you might not agree with?
    I bet you won’t listen to ‘little JoB’ because you don’t enjoy reasoned argument. 
    From past history i look whose writing and scroll down as others i am sure do to me. For the first time in over 3 years i had the misfortune to listen to JOBs ranting this week as i was building a new shed and couldn't be arsed to switch over after Nick Ferrari had finished. 

He must have mentioned Brexit 30 times in the two hours i was listening, and this was on the subject matter of Zaghari Ratcliffe, he doesn't have reasoned argument he is a one eyed jack that plays to his followers who lap it up, anyone who rings up against his view just gets talked over and put down. Your little ditty above certainly fits the bill where he is concerned, and his followers.
    Most popular show on LBC, as he's overtaken NF. And plenty of people who don't agree with him don't get talked over, and sometimes change his mind. He's someone who's voted Tory and Labour, and condemned Jeremy Corbyn before the last election, so he's not  as dogmatic as you are. That's one of the reasons he's so popular. And he certainly does have reasoned arguments. It's literally what he's well known for.
    All we ask is that you read people's posts when they disagree with you. It's not a lot to ask, and I, and I'm sure the vast majority, always read yours.
  • I listen to him from time to time and find it hard to disagree with him on most things.
  • If you want to know why Nick Ferrari is so obsessed about people going back to the office to work, it's because he's behind James O'Brien on the listening figures, and the usual morning listening patterns have been ruined. 
  • edited March 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Huskaris said:
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:
    Huskaris said:
    JamesSeed said:

I clearly stated i do read other people's posts but only the sensible ones. Would you like me to repeat it for the third time. I assume the above has been said of you and you are just repeating it, happens a lot here.
    So you don’t read all the posts, which is what I meant. You’re selective. How can you decide if a post is sensible or not if you won’t read the ones you think you might not agree with?
    I bet you won’t listen to ‘little JoB’ because you don’t enjoy reasoned argument. 
    From past history i look whose writing and scroll down as others i am sure do to me. For the first time in over 3 years i had the misfortune to listen to JOBs ranting this week as i was building a new shed and couldn't be arsed to switch over after Nick Ferrari had finished. 

He must have mentioned Brexit 30 times in the two hours i was listening, and this was on the subject matter of Zaghari Ratcliffe, he doesn't have reasoned argument he is a one eyed jack that plays to his followers who lap it up, anyone who rings up against his view just gets talked over and put down. Your little ditty above certainly fits the bill where he is concerned, and his followers.
    Most popular show on LBC, as he's overtaken NF. And plenty of people who don't agree with him don't get talked over, and sometimes change his mind. He's someone who's voted Tory and Labour, and condemned Jeremy Corbyn before the last election, so he's not  as dogmatic as you are. That's one of the reasons he's so popular. And he certainly does have reasoned arguments. It's literally what he's well known for.
    All we ask is that you read people's posts when they disagree with you. It's not a lot to ask, and I, and I'm sure the vast majority, always read yours.
    I disagree, i turn over at 10.00am and listen to Mike Graham who has people on his show from all sides and listens to their views, 'O' boredom only has people on his show who agree with his view. The amount of people i know and have said outside and on NF show that they turn over from that hypocritical bore. I lost count the other day listening to him how he over indulgences himself in his own little worlds greatness, something that only his lemming like supporters want to hear. 

I particularly don't like him as he doesn't like people who own more than one home for example (like i  do), but forgets to tell the listener he was a reluctant landlord for 5 and a 1/2 years, yet people lap that up. 

I think you may find that Ferrari is the most popular commercial jock.
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Huskaris said:
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:
    Huskaris said:
    JamesSeed said:

I disagree, i turn over at 10.00am and listen to Mike Graham who has people on his show from all sides and listens to their views, 'O' boredom only has people on his show who agree with his view. The amount of people i know and have said outside and on NF show that they turn over from that hypocritical bore. I lost count the other day listening to him how he over indulgences himself in his own little worlds greatness, something that only his lemming like supporters want to hear. 

I particularly don't like him as he doesn't like people who own more than one home for example (like i  do), but forgets to tell the listener he was a reluctant landlord for 5 and a 1/2 years, yet people lap that up. 

Do you have any other reviews of programmes you don't listen to?  
  • Sponsored links:

• P&O Ferries boss Peter Hebblethwaite has admitted to MPs that a decision to sack 800 workers last week without consulting the unions broke the law.

He said there was "absolutely no doubt" that under UK employment law the firm was required to consult unions before making the mass cuts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60862933

• So still not Brexit related - they simply chose to ignore the law for commercial reasons and suffer the reputational consequences.

Also £1.80 not correct after all (albeit the £5.50 is an 'average' so will mask variations). At least £5.50 for those from overseas who do take it makes more sense if you are from a nation with much lower living costs.

Still, in no way does it help those now unemployed.

• JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Huskaris said:
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:
    Huskaris said:
    JamesSeed said:

He isn't even the top presenter on LBC, and the most popular commercial radio show is the breakfast show on Classic FM 
  • edited March 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Huskaris said:
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:
    Huskaris said:
    JamesSeed said:

“James O’Brien overtakes Nick Ferrari to nab most LBC listeners”
  • Just watched the whole stream of the P&O guys being questioned this morning- absolutely extraordinary - the P&O boss was completely without shame throughout, wouldn't even answer the question of whether he would/could morally accept a performance bonus - admitted he hadn't even looked at a risk assessment for the new crews on board - and the worst part  - "there is absolutely no doubt that we were required to consult.... We chose not to do that"

The whole thing was absolutely jaw dropping. 
    These people rely on the fact that the media will have lost interest in the story within a few days, and the government in an even shorter time. 
  • edited March 2022
    Disgraceful behaviour, and a piss-poor performance by the CEO, it looks like the book will be thrown at the Company next week and deservedly so, some of the MPs on the committee shocked by the blatant abuse of the law and the callousness of the companies behaviour. What really ground my gears was his constant use of the term new employment  "model" and that the concerns of the crew was uppermost in their thoughts. The fact that they haven't carried out a safety assessment could be what is used to clobber them. I thought the DP World exec was trying to shift the blame directly to the P&O board, distancing DP world in the vain hope that big government contracts aren't torn up. 
  • Sponsored links:

• A P&O Ferries ship is being held in Northern Ireland because it is "unfit to sail", the transport secretary says.

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) confirmed the European Causeway had been held in Larne.

The MCA said there were "failures on crew familiarisation, vessel documentation and crew training".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60881550

• edited March 2022
    I hope their CEO managed to negotiate himself a cast iron guarantee from DP World in terms of his remuneration for this absolute mess because I only see this going one way and that's him being struck off as a Director.

The government has no power to get people their jobs back and the owners have clearly marked their line in the sand that they aren't going to reverse the decision either. 

I think the government can see public opinion is not shifting on this and they need to take some action to make it look like they have done something about it, besides hefty fines everything seems to point towards them looking at striking off orders for directors and no doubt the CEO will be first in the frame.

I thought it was very telling that he didn't answer the question about his bonus, wouldn't surprise me if he saw this mess coming a mile off and the bonus is his pension pot knowing he will probably never find comparable work again. No reputable company is likely to employ him in a role even remotely comparable to the one he has now knowing how toxic the appointment would be.

I hope it was all worth it is all I can say.

• Saga Lout said:
    This is capitalism in all it's raw glory, but this is what the British public consistently vote for. I can see this sorry episode being used as an example in A Level Economics in future.

Regarding the CEO, assuming he isn't barred from holding a directorship, I can see him being very popular - he must now be the go-to man if you need to either turn around or close your failing business.
    Add the Ford Pinto affair to the study of free market capitalism too.
  • The FT is reporting that the pension scheme that P&O uses is owed £146mn by P&O with the debt being secured against 3 of the company's ships.  The FT is also claiming that the company may have been somewhat optimistic about the value of the ships. 
    In addition the scheme is £96mn in deficit and P&O has not made any voluntary contributions since being taken over by DP World*.
    The Pensions Regulator is on the case. 

* I assume that Dubai Ports has no idea what DP means in the world of porn. Whatever it seems to have screwed its workers doesn't it?

• I have to say as a fairly disillusioned  former civil servant and a staunch critic of what our Government has become, Grant Shapps’s letter today to the cretinous CEO of P&O is one of the finest pieces of drafting I have ever seen.  Up yours with knobs on is the general gist of it. Good on him and whichever Civil Servant drafted  it  
  • I understand the agency workers are hired on the following terms. 12hour shift aboard ship, then 12hours off in a french hotel, on an 8week on and 8weeks off basis.
  • Dansk_Red said:
    I understand the agency workers are hired on the following terms. 12hour shift aboard ship, then 12hours off in a french hotel, on an 8week on and 8weeks off basis.
    Wonder what their living arrangements are during the 8 weeks off?
    A doorway in Calais, perhaps?
    Would these hours break UK employment laws?
    I thought there was a requirement to have at least one day off in 14?
    Eight weeks of continual shift work seeks excessive and probably not very safe...
  • Dansk_Red said:
    I understand the agency workers are hired on the following terms. 12hour shift aboard ship, then 12hours off in a french hotel, on an 8week on and 8weeks off basis.
    Wonder what their living arrangements are during the 8 weeks off?
    A doorway in Calais, perhaps?
    Would these hours break UK employment laws?
    I thought there was a requirement to have at least one day off in 14?
    Eight weeks of continual shift work seeks excessive and probably not very safe...
    Sea transport is specifically excluded from the rules on rest breaks
  • A second P&O ferry has failed a safety inspection and been detained, the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) has said.

The Pride of Kent is one of eight ships to need inspections before re-entering service, after 800 staff were sacked.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60908750