Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

P&O sack/make redundant 800 staff on the spot

Comments

• clive said:

A second P&O ferry has failed a safety inspection and been detained, the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) has said.

The Pride of Kent is one of eight ships to need inspections before re-entering service, after 800 staff were sacked.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60908750

Basically, the cheap staff don't know what they are doing. What a surprise!
  • clive said:

A second P&O ferry has failed a safety inspection and been detained, the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) has said.

The Pride of Kent is one of eight ships to need inspections before re-entering service, after 800 staff were sacked.

Basically, the cheap staff don't know what they are doing. What a surprise!
    Plus I think the regulators are making double sure everything is now being done by the book.
  • rina said:
    Dansk_Red said:
    I understand the agency workers are hired on the following terms. 12hour shift aboard ship, then 12hours off in a french hotel, on an 8week on and 8weeks off basis.
    Wonder what their living arrangements are during the 8 weeks off?
    A doorway in Calais, perhaps?
    Would these hours break UK employment laws?
    I thought there was a requirement to have at least one day off in 14?
    Eight weeks of continual shift work seeks excessive and probably not very safe...
    Sea transport is specifically excluded from the rules on rest breaks
    Sea transport is not specifically excluded from hours at work, there are clear regulations on hours at work and rest. 
  • Joesdad said:Merchant shipping notice 1877
    rina said:
    Dansk_Red said:
    I understand the agency workers are hired on the following terms. 12hour shift aboard ship, then 12hours off in a french hotel, on an 8week on and 8weeks off basis.
    Eight weeks of continual shift work seeks excessive and probably not very safe...
    Sea transport is not specifically excluded from hours at work, there are clear regulations on hours at work and rest. 

• Saga Lout said:
    This is capitalism in all it's raw glory, but this is what the British public consistently vote for. 
    Yes I imagine communism would be much better for all. :neutral:
  • Surprised at Shapps' response to the redundancies, I would have anticipated the government to claim it was a matter for P&O to manage as a private company, perhaps with a few weasel words noting the impact on the staff affected. Job done.
    Tory governments have rarely shown concern where employment conditions have been downgraded and much of the privatisation 'benefit' is based on savings from reduced employment costs.
    I wonder how much of the rest of UK shipping will be impacted by requiring the UK minimum wage to be applied?
    Perhaps the government is sensitive to the movement of cross Channel freight post Brexit, particularly on the Dover crossings, and sees a big risk with the proposed changes to the P&O operation?
  • Surprised at Shapps' response to the redundancies, I would have anticipated the government to claim it was a matter for P&O to manage as a private company, perhaps with a few weasel words noting the impact on the staff affected. Job done.
    Tory governments have rarely shown concern where employment conditions have been downgraded and much of the privatisation 'benefit' is based on savings from reduced employment costs.
    I wonder how much of the rest of UK shipping will be impacted by requiring the UK minimum wage to be applied?
    Perhaps the government is sensitive to the movement of cross Channel freight post Brexit, particularly on the Dover crossings, and sees a big risk with the proposed changes to the P&O operation?
    I doubt its anything quite so moral, just a government/minister seeing an opportunity for a quick and easy PR win. 
  • edited March 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    Saga Lout said:
    This is capitalism in all it's raw glory, but this is what the British public consistently vote for. 
    ???? 
  • DA9DA9
    edited March 2022
    thenewbie said:
    Surprised at Shapps' response to the redundancies, I would have anticipated the government to claim it was a matter for P&O to manage as a private company, perhaps with a few weasel words noting the impact on the staff affected. Job done.
    I doubt its anything quite so moral, just a government/minister seeing an opportunity for a quick and easy PR win. 
    Damned if they do, damned if they don’t 
  • Sponsored links:

• DA9 said:
    thenewbie said:
    Surprised at Shapps' response to the redundancies, I would have anticipated the government to claim it was a matter for P&O to manage as a private company, perhaps with a few weasel words noting the impact on the staff affected. Job done.
    Damned if they, damned if they don’t 
    It seems a little unlikely that the current Government has now become a champion of workers rights. Maybe they've suddenly changed...
  • Joesdad said:
    rina said:
    Dansk_Red said:
    the government may disagree with you https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work/exceptions

there are rules, they are just not the same as nearly everyone else's
  • Serious question. Why has P&O not fired any of its French staff?
    Probably because the French unions are more together than ours,if French workers had been sacked,the whole of Calais etc.would have been bought to a standstill,other ferry companies staff would have come out and really had an effect on the cross channel business.It appears the PO workers have not been supported by their brothers.
  • clive said:

So the Pride of Kent isn’t Gillingham FC ?
    Unless I am mistaken, the Conservative's fantastic strategy to resolve this issue and get everyone their jobs back is to make P and O pay minimum wage?

It must be a tories wet dream to have people patting them on the back for actually agreeing to pay people the actual minimum wage, as if that is some sort of accomplishment or heroic gesture.

Just imagine for a minute as an employee of P and O:

- You are sacked from your job immediately with no notice via a pre recorded video
    - You are marched off the ship by private security hired by your employers and who are carrying handcuffs
    - As you walk off the ship there are bus loads of agency staff ready to take your job at less than half the pay 

Two weeks later the government  says P and O have to pay minimum wage and they think all those laid off are going to be sat eagerly waiting the opportunity to return to said employer who has treated them so shabbily?

Oh and the extra incentive is they get to return on what for most will be less than  half of what they earnt before.

No doubt when those staff think that's a bit of a raw deal and turn it down there'll be labelled as work shy by the government who will wash their hands of them.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Saga Lout said:
    Quite hard to argue that actual communism wouldn’t be better for the vast majority. Sadly it’s never been tried. 
    Go back to China commie🤪
  • Serious question. Why has P&O not fired any of its French staff?
    Probably because the French unions are more together than ours,if French workers had been sacked,the whole of Calais etc.would have been bought to a standstill,other ferry companies staff would have come out and really had an effect on the cross channel business.It appears the PO workers have not been supported by their brothers.
    To be fair, a lot of them are in the RMT which is probably * the only union that will fight for its members. They are however, hamstrung by any solidarity action being illegal in this country. So, dockers or port workers refusing to work with a ship full of scabs is legal in France, but not in England. And the government are itching for a reason to further clamp down on the RMT. The UK has some of the most restrictive anti-union laws in the world, it's not just down the the incompetence of the union hierarchies.

* I realise there are individual branches of other unions that will, as well as the small unions like IWGB, UVW, CAIWU. 
  • https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/mar/30/p-and-o-ferries-not-first-uk-waters-hire-low-cost-workers?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

More on pay and conditions for seafarers working in British waters.
    Apparently P&O are not the only operators competing in a race to the bottom. 
    Who would have thought?
  • Sponsored links:

• P&O Ferries faces a probe into the controversial no-notice sackings of nearly 800 members of staff.

The Insolvency Service has launched criminal and civil investigations into the circumstances around the redundancies.

In a letter, it said it would consider "prompt and appropriate action" if the law was broken.

Grant Shapps has also asked the service to consider disqualifying its boss from acting as a company director.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60953832

• clive said:

P&O Ferries faces a probe into the controversial no-notice sackings of nearly 800 members of staff.

The Insolvency Service has launched criminal and civil investigations into the circumstances around the redundancies.

In a letter, it said it would consider "prompt and appropriate action" if the law was broken.

Grant Shapps has also asked the service to consider disqualifying its boss from acting as a company director.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60953832

If Shapps has really asked that it's a bit odd (and a bit dumb) to say the least. The Companies Investigation team of The Insolvency Service (I worked there on secondment for a year - many years ago), is an agency of the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy. It can indeed investigate company wrongdoings. But it has no power to disqualify a company director!  Only the courts can do that. By making a disqualification order upon the request of the Secretary of State (that would be a delegated power). 
    So Shapps is going to have to wait upon the investigation, the report into that investigation and some judge making the order. It may take a while longer than the IS is indicating when it says there will be "prompt action".
  • So yesterday P&O announce they'll be starting the Dover/Calais and (Hull/Rotterdam) routes back up today. Today they announce that all services are cancelled until at least Monday.

If you can then avoid most of Kent's roads, going to be absolute carnage this weekend.
  • Another P&O Ferries vessel has been detained after inspectors found a "number of deficiencies", the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) confirmed.

The Spirit of Britain ship cannot set sail until the issues have been addressed, and surveyors said they did not know when this would happen.

The detention casts doubt on the ability of P&O Ferries to resume its Dover operations before Easter weekend.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61086897

• clive said:

Another P&O Ferries vessel has been detained after inspectors found a "number of deficiencies", the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) confirmed.

The Spirit of Britain ship cannot set sail until the issues have been addressed, and surveyors said they did not know when this would happen.

The detention casts doubt on the ability of P&O Ferries to resume its Dover operations before Easter weekend.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61086897

The Spirit of Britain does indeed have a number of deficiencies at the moment! 
  • These safety checks seem to be taking a long time and I wonder whether P&O properly considered the need and time required to get their fleet recertificated prior to sacking the 800. Initially we were told sailings would be cancelled for a few days. The time line suggested it was intended to sack the 800 and have the fleet back in service for the Easter rush.
    Are the delays in recertification due to cutbacks in staffing levels in the MCA?
    I wonder if there has been any ministerial pressure to 'get ships sailing', noting that daily pictures of the Brock lorry queues on the M20 and resultant pressure on industry isn't a good look for the government?
    Where has the government's legal challenge on P&O got to?

• These safety checks seem to be taking a long time and I wonder whether P&O properly considered the need and time required to get their fleet recertificated prior to sacking the 800. Initially we were told sailings would be cancelled for a few days. The time line suggested it was intended to sack the 800 and have the fleet back in service for the Easter rush.
    Are the delays in recertification due to cutbacks in staffing levels in the MCA?
    I wonder if there has been any ministerial pressure to 'get ships sailing', noting that daily pictures of the Brock lorry queues on the M20 and resultant pressure on industry isn't a good look for the government?

I feel the opposite, I wonder if they’re getting additional scrutiny from the authorities due to the disgraceful actions taken a few weeks ago. My concern is whether these ships would have sailed without these “deficiencies” being identified had it not been for what went on. 
  • clive said:

The Pride of Kent…a flagon of Diamond White, a McKenzie tracksuit and a pitbull. 
  • se9addick said:
    These safety checks seem to be taking a long time and I wonder whether P&O properly considered the need and time required to get their fleet recertificated prior to sacking the 800. Initially we were told sailings would be cancelled for a few days. The time line suggested it was intended to sack the 800 and have the fleet back in service for the Easter rush.

I feel the opposite, I wonder if they’re getting additional scrutiny from the authorities due to the disgraceful actions taken a few weeks ago. My concern is whether these ships would have sailed without these “deficiencies” being identified had it not been for what went on. 
    I can understand the MCA wanting to be very certain the new arrangements are sound before signing off the certificate and credit to them if they are being ultra cautious. 
    But I wouldn't be surprised if the responsible minister is expecting very frequent updates on progress and tempted to tell the MCA to hurry up. He won't be the one carrying the responsibility if there are any safety related incidents following recertification, but the continuing delay isn't making his Operation Brock plan look any better either. 
  • https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/lorry-driver-allegedly-rammed-po-26835585

RMT try direct action.
    Frustrates Lorry Driver.
    Lorry driver seemingly arrested.
    In the current circumstances I would say a lot more direct action by organised (yet rather hamstrung) groups of workers will increase.