Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pitch Invader

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2022
    paulfox said:
    We don't want to go back to the bad old days, when fan behaviour was so bad that fences had to be erected around the pitch. That all stopped after the dreadful Hillsborough disaster and fans didn't run onto the pitch any more. It does need strong action to be taken against bad behaviour and to show that it won't be tolerated.
    If this type of thing was happening multiple times with bad consequences then act accordingly, but let’s not turn it into anything like the fan behaviour of the 80’s. The game and fans have evolved in the most part and when things need to be acted upon for example the acceptance of racism, they generally are. The guy was obviously having fun after a few sherberts and mad a wrong choice, no need to make more of it.
    It’s happened three times in 2022 and it has all involved people on free or cheap tickets. Just a fact. There is concern about that internally.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    We don't want to go back to the bad old days, when fan behaviour was so bad that fences had to be erected around the pitch. That all stopped after the dreadful Hillsborough disaster and fans didn't run onto the pitch any more. It does need strong action to be taken against bad behaviour and to show that it won't be tolerated.
    If this type of thing was happening multiple times with bad consequences then act accordingly, but let’s not turn it into anything like the fan behaviour of the 80’s. The game and fans have evolved in the most part and when things need to be acted upon for example the acceptance of racism, they generally are. The guy was obviously having fun after a few sherberts and mad a wrong choice, no need to make more of it.
    It’s happened three times in 2022 and it has all involved people on free or cheap tickets. Just a fact. There is concern about that internally.
    It’s an inconvenience, not the major problem people are making it out to be. I’m a season ticket holder and if chose to do the same I could. I don’t see it matters what has been paid. Basically 3 people won’t be coming back for the rest of the season.🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    But there is bad behaviour being seen and if the throwing of objects and running on the pitch is seen as someone having fun, then it will happen more frequently. It needs clamping down on and if someone who is drunk and thinks such behaviour is a laugh, they should be banned.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Are these fans on free /cheap tickets doing the away games aswell then?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    clb74 said:
    paulfox said:
    Are these fans on free /cheap tickets doing the away games aswell then?
    Completely different cohort and issue, as you well know. It’s unlikely you’d find those same people acting up in the AC or west stands.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    It’s an inconvenience, not the major problem people are making it out to be. I’m a season ticket holder and if chose to do the same I could. I don’t see it matters what has been paid. Basically 3 people won’t be coming back for the rest of the season.🤷🏻‍♂️
    I think the assumption is that people who have a commitment to Charlton are less likely to risk being banned. It’s pretty obvious that among the groups attending there are people with little interest in the event - see numerous complaints on here. It’s an inconvenience but it will result in fines and extra costs for the club. Fine if it doesn’t affect you so you don’t care, but it’s not cost-free for the club. That’s why the safety officer is tweeting about it. Is he wrong to do so?
    No he’s not, I’m by no means condoning or trying to justify the behaviour, but theses things happen the club knows it will happen so will have to deal with it accordingly, but people getting on there high horse, when like me it doesn’t really affect , I find a bit over the top in trying to take the moral high ground. We were all young once and did silly things, and that is in the main who are doing these things.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Will you be offering to pay the club's fine then?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    I think the assumption is that people who have a commitment to Charlton are less likely to risk being banned. It’s pretty obvious that among the groups attending there are people with little interest in the event - see numerous complaints on here. It’s an inconvenience but it will result in fines and extra costs for the club. Fine if it doesn’t affect you so you don’t care, but it’s not cost-free for the club. That’s why the safety officer is tweeting about it. Is he wrong to do so?
    No he’s not, I’m by no means condoning or trying to justify the behaviour, but theses things happen the club knows it will happen so will have to deal with it accordingly, but people getting on there high horse, when like me it doesn’t really affect , I find a bit over the top in trying to take the moral high ground. We were all young once and did silly things, and that is in the main who are doing these things.
    There’s a general and escalating problem up and down the country, no doubt in part because it is amplified by social media. I think we have had a particular problem at The Valley because the club has lost control of the ticket situation, demonstrated by the sheer number of incidents generated from freebies, etc, but there is widespread discussion in the game about deteriorating spectator behaviour. I don’t think the “isolated incident, high spirits” explanation is correct or useful.
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    I assume none of those taking the moral high ground were on The Valley pitch after Burnley or Doncaster? The Valley would be empty if we'd all been banned for 5yrs! It's was a bit stupid and probably a pissed up dare, but he didn't hit anyone, just made a bit of a tit of himself. A ban to the end of the season should be enough.
    Those were after the game had finished though?
    Maybe slightly different for Donny, but at least a couple of people got on the pitch during the Burnley game with Roland Out signs. I know the circumstances are different, but I don't think this fella needs to be treated so harshly. He was being stupid, but no harm done. But that's like, just my opinion, man. COYA
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2022
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    That’s got absolutely fuck all to do with it, why would I when I haven’t been the silly boy. Maybe jump down from your very high horse?. It’s for the club to deal with, maybe get yourself down there with the other morally high thinking people and help out the stewards if your so disgusted by the behaviour. 
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    There’s a general and escalating problem up and down the country, no doubt in part because it is amplified by social media. I think we have had a particular problem at The Valley because the club has lost control of the ticket situation, demonstrated by the sheer number of incidents generated from freebies, etc, but there is widespread discussion in the game about deteriorating spectator behaviour. I don’t think the “isolated incident, high spirits” explanation is correct or useful.
    don’t think the “isolated incident, high spirits” explanation is correct or useful

So what is your explanation for yesterday? 
    I know for a fact you’ve seen a lot worse over the years, so I think some perspective is required.I think what you describe above is exactly what yesterday was about. 

It’s not something I’m saying is right as I said. I didn’t even go on the pitch after the Donnie game, part of me wishes I had it looked great fun!!. 
     Let’s not tar everyone with the same brush, there are a lot of freebies that have not chosen to run on the pitch and be good well behaved people. So that’s 3 in how many?, and I know 1 is too many.🤷🏻‍♂️ I get your point Airman and as usual have respect for that. Which is why I discuss/ not argue.👍
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    don’t think the “isolated incident, high spirits” explanation is correct or useful

So what is your explanation for yesterday? 
    I know for a fact you’ve seen a lot worse over the years, so I think some perspective is required.I think what you describe above is exactly what yesterday was about. 

It’s not something I’m saying is right as I said. I didn’t even go on the pitch after the Donnie game, part of me wishes I had it looked great fun!!. 
     Let’s not tar everyone with the same brush, there are a lot of freebies that have not chosen to run on the pitch and be good well behaved people. So that’s 3 in how many?, and I know 1 is too many.🤷🏻‍♂️ I get your point Airman and as usual have respect for that. Which is why I discuss/ not argue.👍
    It’s not just three in how many; there has been a more general problem related to these tickets. It’s just less visible to you if it’s not on the pitch. But it’s not a reason not to do them, just that they need to be managed, and if you put them all over the ground in very large numbers that becomes more difficult. Put them all in west R and Q, for example, and it is much more manageable.

I’ve seen worse, but it IS clear that there Is a rising level of nuisance behaviour. Matt Wright has raised in VOTV174 the question of what the club is actually doing about it, beyond the part-time safety officer who is about to retire. It’s something that would be for the chief executive to lead on at a normal club - as Steve Kavanagh does at Millwall. I doubt that TS is really aware of it.

Of course if they are not Charlton fans involved they are unlikely to heed better messaging.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    A person I have never met getting murdered in Islington doesnt affect me, would I be on my high horse if I condemned it?

I managed to get through my young life without doing anything stupid enough to land me a criminal record.

If you consider anybody condeming illegal acts taking the moral high ground, maybe you should be looking at your morals rather than other peoples?    
    We can all Give hypothetical situations as examples, please don’t question my morals when you don’t know me, as I wouldn’t you. The punishment should suit the crime. Nobody has been murdered and I haven’t said what was done was ok. But the way people are reacting on here the lad would get strung up. For the record your not the only one to be a good boy all your life, I’m in that same boat. Are our morals the same?.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    A person I have never met getting murdered in Islington doesnt affect me, would I be on my high horse if I condemned it?

I managed to get through my young life without doing anything stupid enough to land me a criminal record.

If you consider anybody condeming illegal acts taking the moral high ground, maybe you should be looking at your morals rather than other peoples?    
    We can all Give hypothetical situations as examples, please don’t question my morals when you don’t know me, as I wouldn’t you. The punishment should suit the crime. Nobody has been murdered and I haven’t said what was done was ok. But the way people are reacting on here the lad would get strung up. For the record your not the only one to be a good boy all your life, I’m in that same boat. Are our morals the same?.
    I was responding to this statement Paul. "I find a bit over the top in trying to take the moral high ground." You are also the one who used the expression high horse.  
  • Options
    I've not read anyone suggesting the lad should get strung up.
    You're just making stuff up. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:

I was responding to this statement Paul. "I find a bit over the top in trying to take the moral high ground." You are also the one who used the expression high horse.  
    Absolutely, and there a quite a few on here that have high horses. The guy ran on the pitch,(not acceptable ) didn’t murder anyone and yet you’d have thought he did by some of the reaction.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:

That’s for the courts to decide, although the club can issue there own ban alongside and on top of any court ban if they so desire.
    I personally don’t care how harsh his court punishment is, he made a choice, he gets the consequences. 
  • Options
    Don't think anyone said they were disgusted or that he should be strung up. That's hyperbole.

Most said he was stupid or an idiot.

Should he end up with a criminal record for that? IMHO no, but I'm not the police who are incentivised to issue banning orders and whether we like it not it is a criminal offence which he committed in front of 1000s of witnesses and on video.

Is it insignificant? No, it's an expensive and time consuming pain in the backside for the club.

Was the guy there on a football for a fiver ticket? No.
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:

That’s for the courts to decide, although the club can issue there own ban alongside and on top of any court ban if they so desire.
    I personally don’t care how harsh his court punishment is, he made a choice, he gets the consequences. 
    Yes totally agree, it was his choice and has to take the consequences.
  • Options
    Don't think anyone said they were disgusted or that he should be strung up. That's hyperbole.

Should he end up with a criminal record for that? IMHO no, but I'm not the police who are incentivised to issue banning orders and whether we like it not it is a criminal offence which he committed in front of 1000s of witnesses and on video.

Is it insignificant? No, it's an expensive and time consuming pain in the backside for the club.

So he was there on a comp? 
  • Options

No, they didn’t say that Henry, I was just trying to get a point across as how bad an offence it was being made out to be. The rest I completely agree with you. He was what appeared to be a drunken idiot and did something the majority of us would choose not to do.
  • Options
    I've not read anyone suggesting the lad should get strung up.
    You're just making stuff up. 
    Yes I do that a lot👍, calm down dear!!!🤣
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    I think the club might consider hiring what at the Oval they call the green team,  Used during testmatches to bring down streakers and pitch invaders, they our good at the ruby tackle.
    Many years ago I had just that job at Lord's. 
    I was seated pitchside with the job of keeping people from getting on to the hallowed turf.
    Most matches there was very little incident and I was basically getting paid to watch the cricket. 
    On day however some bloke dressed as Superman leapt out in front of me and proceeded to run on the pitch. 
    A copper sitting near me said ain't you going after him.
    Superman was now giving several stewards the run around and this was live on TV.
    I told the copper now way was I going to chase Superman around Lords in front of a live TV audience. 
    He just laughed and said I don't blame you. 
    Not sure what would have been more amusing, Superman or you chasing him :D
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    No need.
    Elfsborg has volunteered to pay.
    Like f*** I have.