Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Doncaster Rovers vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 26th March 2022 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Doncaster Rovers vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 26th March 2022 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Sam Allison

Introduction
Its amazing what a couple of wins can do for confidence - The 2-0 victory over Burton Albion meant that the Addicks recorded back to back wins for the first time since the end of January / start of February - Of course it helps that key figures are returning to the fold, yet like this time last season, we need to look into ensuring that we dont become a mess on the field whenever it happens, after all you could state a case for this being the third consecutive season that its happened.

Lets keep this run going though, as we travel North to Doncaster Rovers with a Spring in our step.

The Opposition
Name: Doncaster Rovers (23rd) | Manager: Gary McSheffrey
Ground: Keepmoat Stadium
Previous Meeting: Charlton Athletic 4-0 Doncaster Rovers

Wait... What - We've actually scored four past a team this season? - Given the season as a whole, its hard to believe that we've despatched a team so brutally, but yup its there in the history books - Goals from Elliot Lee, Conor Washington, Jayden Stockley and Ben Purrington ensured a second win on the trot as Johnnie Jackson took the helm back in October.

Now of course I'm going to mention THAT Play-Off Semi-Final, yet for Doncaster, it really does appear to have been a sliding doors moment - Their fans will probably scoff with an: "Well obviously" - A team of their stature, knew they'd be missing out on a rare opportunity to return to the Championship, and their last two seasons at this level have failed to live up to that 2018/19 season.

This season most of all has been a downward slide for Donny - They've spent all but the first week of the season in the relegation zone, and at the turn of the year I posted on a thread saying that they may as well prepare for life in League Two - Gary McSheffrey came in as Manager in December though, and has painstakingly turned things around, our opponents have gone from being stranded at the bottom (losing 4-3 at Morecambe after a 3-0 lead) to now just four points off safety.

Doncaster come into this game, having picked up just two points from in the last four.

The Lady isn't quite warming up her vocal cords in South Yorkshire... Not just yet.

Charlton Team News
Okay lets start with the negative; Chuks Aneke and Ryan Inniss remain absent going into our trip North, both are expected to be seen again this season, and hopefully it wont just be for the Player of the Season dinner - Nile John should equally get some game time in the next seven fixtures, although you'd expect that to happen once we're mathematically certain of a place in League One next term... What a time to be alive.

The good news is that Jake Forster-Caskey has survived his two appearances for the U23s.

The midfielder has been a huge loss this season, and having played for 65mins (?) against Peterborough in midweek, should now be back in first-team contention, the question is... Who drops out of the team, allowing him to return on the bench at the very least? - Its not like everyone has covered themselves in glory.

MacGillivray
Clare - Lavelle - Purrington
Matthews - Dobson - Gilbey - Blackett-Taylor
Fraser
Stockley - Washington

Substitutes Bench: Harness - Famewo - Jaiyesimi - Forster-Caskey - Leko - Lee - Burstow

Prediction
Difficult to predict this one in all honesty.

There are three things that Charlton need to fixture going into the summer: Recruitment |Injuries | Away Form... Get those three right and we could compete for promotion - Results on the road certainly havent been good enough, which is why we could struggle tomorrow. If we can replicate our home form on the road next term, we could be unstoppable.

Comments

• 1-1. they need the points more than we do, feels like we are in no mans land a bit unless we win every game from here which is not going to happen. 
  • A meaningless game for us in some respects but maybe important in another. We have ground out two wins and have our two main strikers back. This is probably last chance saloon for some of ours to stake a claim for next season and we need to start seeing something viable. Our away form has been disapointing and it is a game where we need to see that change.
  • An annoyingly meaningless 7-0 romp by the Addicks 
  • Sadly, I'm not sure CBT will be fit, so that might mean Famewo coming in and Purrington moving to wing back. Can't see JFC being ready yet, so Morgan and even John will still be ahead of him.

Fingers crossed for a better away performance...
  • Expect to win.
    Accept a draw 
    V disappointed if we lose
  • 2-0 win. Expecting us to win. Got to try and build momentum for next season and that’s starts by beating the relegation battlers.

Should be 3 wins from 3 by 5PM on Saturday 
  • Predict this will be a lot like the 6 nil win against Plymouth last season. We’ll be wondering where has this team gone all season
  • Sponsored links:

• I am expecting the same starting 11 unless there are injury issues. With Washington and Stockley, and with Fraser getting better each game, I think we should win this. If JFC is on the bench, that will be a massive positive. I would love to see him get some game time under his belt before the end of the season.
  • Excellent preview as usual FA. 

I expect 3 points tomorrow in a bit of a nothing game for us now.
    Message to JJ and Sandgaard don't be fooled into thinking about giving most of the rubbish players a new contract just because we now start winning. 
    Bin them and rebuild in the summer. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    Having Fraser, CBT, Stockley and Washinghton in the team, i think we will win. Those 4 and Dobson should be the core to build around for next season. 
    I am still not convinced about CBT. He is a threat going forward, but not great at tracking back. He is not a wing back. If we continue to play the same system next season I think we need proper wing backs. He would be great as an out and out winger though.
  • I would say if they don’t get a result here, then that’s a real let down.  That’s no disrespect to Doncaster, more a sign that some may think it’s okay to take their foot off the gas 

Some of these players should be thinking that they need to do all they can to secure a place in Jackson’s thoughts next season
  • Yep it makes sense, same 11 if possible and an away win, 0-2.
  • Beat two poor teams, playing another so Charlton win, mediocre performance probs...
  • We SHOULD win, so expect the worst and be happily surprised if we pull it off. No doubt it'll be an unchanged team if CBT is fit but otherwise expect Famewo to be back with Purrington moving out to LWB, although it's not inconceivable that Jacko will give Castillo a game there instead. Would love to see JFC get a good 20 minutes - just hope that's when the game is nicely put to bed rather than us needing to chase a point.
  • Sponsored links:

• 18 comments, shows most peoples apathy towards the remainder of this season, mine included.
    Agreed mate. The season has already drawn to a close for me. I will be watching this as usual from one of my luxury penthouses in wherever I fancy in the world but apathy is the word to describe it. Apart from part of me really doesnt want us to put a run together now as that will just paper over this season and TS might start to think that this squad and coaches can do something next season and give them a chance to remain in place. Imo they cant and need to be gone way before any planning for next season starts
  • Listen to the moans when we go down 2-0 in the first 15 minutes :s , but do not worry, as we will win 2-4  :)
  • Donny should be right up for this as they scrap to avoid the drop .. thing is, will we be up for it with our everchanging line up ?

Doncaster Rovers 2 v CAFC 2
  • 18 comments, shows most peoples apathy towards the remainder of this season, mine included.
    Spot on.
    57 years supporting the club and this is in the worst 6 or 7.
    Mindnumbingly boring at times
  • Doncaster Rovers vs Charlton Athletic
    Saturday 26th March 2022 - 3pm Kick-Off
    Referee: Sam Allison

Introduction
    Its amazing what a couple of wins can do for confidence - The 2-0 victory over Burton Albion meant that the Addicks recorded back to back wins for the first time since the end of January / start of February - Of course it helps that key figures are returning to the fold, yet like this time last season, we need to look into ensuring that we dont become a mess on the field whenever it happens, after all you could state a case for this being the third consecutive season that its happened.

Lets keep this run going though, as we travel North to Doncaster Rovers with a Spring in our step.

The Opposition
    Name: Doncaster Rovers (23rd) | Manager: Gary McSheffrey
    Ground: Keepmoat Stadium
    Previous Meeting: Charlton Athletic 4-0 Doncaster Rovers

Wait... What - We've actually scored four past a team this season? - Given the season as a whole, its hard to believe that we've despatched a team so brutally, but yup its there in the history books - Goals from Elliot Lee, Conor Washington, Jayden Stockley and Ben Purrington ensured a second win on the trot as Johnnie Jackson took the helm back in October.

Now of course I'm going to mention THAT Play-Off Semi-Final, yet for Doncaster, it really does appear to have been a sliding doors moment - Their fans will probably scoff with an: "Well obviously" - A team of their stature, knew they'd be missing out on a rare opportunity to return to the Championship, and their last two seasons at this level have failed to live up to that 2018/19 season.

This season most of all has been a downward slide for Donny - They've spent all but the first week of the season in the relegation zone, and at the turn of the year I posted on a thread saying that they may as well prepare for life in League Two - Gary McSheffrey came in as Manager in December though, and has painstakingly turned things around, our opponents have gone from being stranded at the bottom (losing 4-3 at Morecambe after a 3-0 lead) to now just four points off safety.

Doncaster come into this game, having picked up just two points from in the last four.

The Lady isn't quite warming up her vocal cords in South Yorkshire... Not just yet.

Charlton Team News
    Okay lets start with the negative; Chuks Aneke and Ryan Inniss remain absent going into our trip North, both are expected to be seen again this season, and hopefully it wont just be for the Player of the Season dinner - Nile John should equally get some game time in the next seven fixtures, although you'd expect that to happen once we're mathematically certain of a place in League One next term... What a time to be alive.

The good news is that Jake Forster-Caskey has survived his two appearances for the U23s.

The midfielder has been a huge loss this season, and having played for 65mins (?) against Peterborough in midweek, should now be back in first-team contention, the question is... Who drops out of the team, allowing him to return on the bench at the very least? - Its not like everyone has covered themselves in glory.

MacGillivray
    Clare - Lavelle - Purrington
    Matthews - Dobson - Gilbey - Blackett-Taylor
    Fraser
    Stockley - Washington

Substitutes Bench: Harness - Famewo - Jaiyesimi - Forster-Caskey - Leko - Lee - Burstow

Prediction
    Difficult to predict this one in all honesty.

There are three things that Charlton need to fixture going into the summer: Recruitment |Injuries | Away Form... Get those three right and we could compete for promotion - Results on the road certainly havent been good enough, which is why we could struggle tomorrow. If we can replicate our home form on the road next term, we could be unstoppable.
    Not Purrington at centre half, thanks 
  • lets grab a good win and build for next season. I have a feeling TS has woken up and we will have a good summer build. 3-1 charlton
  • Donny have beaten play off hopefuls Sunderland and MK Dons, as well as Accrington, in the fairly recent past. 
    We should be ok then. 
  • The season is still very much alive and kicking and in anticipation of next year we need to give our future team game time . Play those who are going to be here next year; not the ones who have let us down. So not Burstow, Gunter, Famewo, Morgan, Leko. Don’t let Gilbey anywhere near the captains armband nor Stockley. Neither have I ever seen motivate or shout at any fellow player. Each game remaining could be used as a building block for the future and each player who is part of that future needs to be involved. So no the season isn’t over and tomorrow matters.
  • I watched Cheltenham put 4 past them and thought we could easily do the same. They looked shambolic and disinterested. If that team turns up - 4-0 Charlton.
  • Doncaster have looked doomed all season which is a shame and I am sure they will bounce back. Three in a row? Why not? 1-0 to the Addicks.