Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Curbs at Bromley Addicks Q & A on 21 April

Comments

• Options
    Another good evening at Bromley Addicks, Curbs had lots of interesting stories. Happy Birthday Covered End and yes Elfsborg bought me a drink. 
  • Options
    I was a bit late, but what I saw of it was very good, bloke’s a legend. Curbs and Covered End! Happy Birthday!
  • Options
    Great night, one of the best, if not the best. 
  • Options
    He looks very well and is clearly enjoying life. Would love to think that behind the scenes he's giving Jacko some advice and is a sounding board
  • Options
    He looks very well and is clearly enjoying life. Would love to think that behind the scenes he's giving Jacko some advice and is a sounding board
    He does look well, very at ease with himself and enjoying life.

He doesn't know Jacko and isn't advising him at present although he'd be happy to.

He made a wider point in his role at the League Managers Association (LMA) that he felt younger managers would benefit from having an older, wiser head to speak to (he cited Lennie at Newport etc) but realised that the older man might be seen as a threat (after his job) or as a sign of weakness in the younger manager in the eyes of the owner.

He quoted a LMA stat that 60% of first time managers don't get another management role.

Got to go to the museum but will post more later if anyone is interested but a lot of stories are a bit edgy and won't sound as good as when Curbs tells them eg Tarricco's broken nose, di canino and the ice bath.
    I would have preferred Jacko to have a Lennie style older manager in his team also, someone who's been there and done it, and isn't after the main job

Pardew brought Keith Peacock to West Ham in 2006 after he left Charlton to have that sort of role also.

Indeed didn't Curbs briefly work at Fulham, long after he left West Ham?
  • Options
    Great evening, thank you to all who organised it.
    So many great stories, was like over 2 hours of Charlton TV chat without the football to put a dampener on things.
    I too was shocked at the 60% of football managers not getting another job after their first appointment, Curbs linked that to Bowyer having done well to get a second job and the likelihood of Jackson not getting another job if he loses this one. I think Curbs was erring on the side of Jackson remaining in post.
    He seemed a big fan of Bowyer and would have happily come in to help him if asked.
    Thanks again to all the organisers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He doesn't know Jacko and isn't advising him at present although he'd be happy to.

He made a wider point in his role at the League Managers Association (LMA) that he felt younger managers would benefit from having an older, wiser head to speak to (he cited Lennie at Newport etc) but realised that the older man might be seen as a threat (after his job) or as a sign of weakness in the younger manager in the eyes of the owner.

He quoted a LMA stat that 60% of first time managers don't get another management role.

Got to go to the museum but will post more later if anyone is interested but a lot of stories are a bit edgy and won't sound as good as when Curbs tells them eg Tarricco's broken nose, di canino and the ice bath.

Yes, please post more.
    Thanks for this.
  • Options
    What a brilliant night with an absolute club legend, thank you guys for organising.

Even had a disco going on downstairs , what more could you ask for!

Alan talks so much sense and you can see why he was successful , could really do with his input into the club in some form , rather than increasing his heart rate commenting on us on Charlton Tv!
  • Options
    A superb evening with Curbs at his best. Well done for organising chaps. Really wish he had more of an input within the club. He was ready to assist Bow if he had been asked, but as he doesn't really know JJ sensed a little reticence.
    I asked he he thought the club would have given him extra money if we had gotten into Europe (the season we finished seventh and Parker left), but he doubted he would have been given additional funds.
  • Options
    It's good to read about people enjoying this and that it was a decent night.

I like how curbs didn't repetitively dive back into football management at every possible opportunity.

He put himself and his family 1st. He knew it was an unnecessary car crash life style and decided he'd had enough.

Another reason why he is and was a loyal Charlton ledgend 
  • Options

True to my word.

after closer inspection of the £5

• Options
    Sounds a great night, gutted I was already out. Glad it went well 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was surprised how much of a cheery, fun guy Curbs is.
    He generally comes across as a serious person (understandably), but he was a good laugh and told some great stories.

I could sit there and listen to him talk all day long and not get bored.
    Such a knowledgeable, engaging, down to earth, lovely bloke.
    I couldn't speak more highly of him, based on last night and I'm confident if he was manager he would have us promoted next season.
    He was so engaging I've still got a smile on my face this morning.

Does anyone have contact with JJ?
    He really should spend some time talking to Curbs. 

All JJ has to do is look at the east stand and think.... perhaps that bloke may know a thing or 2 about football management!
  • Options
    If only we went 5-3-2 in a pre season game just for the sake of it so we could get what we wanted 

Right to left

Alright mate....
    that young fish Costa fortune pal' I want my money back 
  • Options
    I never realised how instrumental he was in the signing of players.

He told us about how he "intercepted" Claus Jensen on his way to Ipswich to sign him.
    How he snapped up Di Canio, going round to his house unannounced and Jorge Costa.

By God we owe him for our "great" days.
    Tell us more please  :D
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Dave2l said:
    I was surprised how much of a cheery, fun guy Curbs is.
    He generally comes across as a serious person (understandably), but he was a good laugh and told some great stories.

I could sit there and listen to him talk all day long and not get bored.
    Such a knowledgeable, engaging, down to earth, lovely bloke.
    I couldn't speak more highly of him, based on last night and I'm confident if he was manager he would have us promoted next season.
    He was so engaging I've still got a smile on my face this morning.

Does anyone have contact with JJ?
    He really should spend some time talking to Curbs. 

All JJ has to do is look at the east stand and think.... perhaps that bloke may know a thing or 2 about football management!
    I know times have changed, but the guys a legend, Jacko would be nuts not to pick his brains whilst Curbs still loves and shows an interest in Charlton, I think Curbs is waiting to be asked.
  • Options

Yes would love to hear more please
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    It's good to read about people enjoying this and that it was a decent night.

I like how curbs didn't repetitively dive back into football management at every possible opportunity.

He put himself and his family 1st. He knew it was an unnecessary car crash life style and decided he'd had enough.

Another reason why he is and was a loyal Charlton ledgend 
    Not so.

As he said he tried to get back but the West Ham case took a year, he was offered Championship roles he didn't want and then turned down a "far away" prem job expecting to get a closer one which then didn't materialise.

By the he had been out too long in the eyes of some owners/CEOs.

Personally I think suing his employers didn't help.

He mentioned that WHUs Icelandic owners were being chased by Icelandic banks as the financial crash hit, something I'd not realised.

He wasn't that bothered about them selling Anton Ferdinad but was with George McCarthy.
  • Options
    Great man. Great info!