Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Curbs at Bromley Addicks Q & A on 21 April

124»

Comments

• Options
    Dowie getting more money to spend than him.

Did it hurt? "Not half"

Said Dowie and Pardew spent £30m between them while he'd been fighting to get £2m to spend on a midfielder. Murray was reluctant to let him spend that fearing that players wouldn't sign as he only had a year left. Conversation went on for some hours on the Friday evening and ended with Curbs going. Next day was announced at Blackburn game. Curbs went into a lot more detail which I can't do justice but maybe others remember more.
  • Options
    One that got away?

Said we got nearly all the players we wanted as didn't aim to high.

One we did miss was Tim Cahilll.

Was close and he wanted to stay in London but went to Everton.

"Can't tell you why we didn't get him" he said which I heard as "I know but can't reveal the reason"
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    One that got away?

"Can't tell you why we didn't get him" he said which I heard as "I know but can't reveal the reason"
    The reason IIRC was something to do with Cahill's brother being on the run from villains/police and he/they had to get out of London. My recollection, Curbs didn't say this.
  • Options
    One that got away?

The reason IIRC was something to do with Cahill's brother being on the run from villains/police and he/they had to get out of London.
    I heard something like that which is I guess what AC was hinting at.
  • Options
    Curbs also denied the story about us scouting a young Cristiano Ronaldo / getting pipped by UTD for him. Said there was no truth in that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One that got away?

The reason IIRC was something to do with Cahill's brother being on the run from villains/police and he/they had to get out of London.
    I’d heard the reason was he was allegedly having an affair and his wife wanted to get him as far away from the other woman as possible.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
  • Options
    One that got away?

I’d heard the reason was he was allegedly having an affair and his wife wanted to get him as far away from the other woman as possible.
    This.
  • Options
    Chelsea offered us 6mill for Judas, we got 12mill and Carlton Nogoal.
    Chelsea paid Judas 4x we were.
  • Options
    Curbs also showed his good taste in music when chatting with one of the many young trendy fans present.

AC noted the fan was wear a Band t -shirt and said what a good group they were.
  • Options
    One that got away?

The reason IIRC was something to do with Cahill's brother being on the run from villains/police and he/they had to get out of London. My recollection, Curbs didn't say this.
    Is this the brother that got 6 years jail?
    And this prick dedicated a goal to him?
  • Options
    Costa's first game was against Chelsea.
    Costa used an interpreter.
    Curbs was trying to explain to Costa, how to stop Hasselbaink.
    Costa just winked at Curbs and said don't worry boss, then had him in his pocket all game.
    We won 0-1.
    Costa played ten minutes of that game but it was a brilliant day !
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    One that got away?

Is this the brother that got 6 years jail?
    And this prick dedicated a goal to him?
    https://amp-theguardian-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2008/mar/05/newsstory.everton?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw==#amp_tf=From %1$s&aoh=16506554442726&referrer=https://www.google.com&ampshare=https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/mar/05/newsstory.everton
  • Options
    Sounds like a great night, would have loved to have heard his views on who’s management and footballing style he prefers between Klopp and Pep, and where he would rank them against the greats he managed against 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Advice he was given when he started

"Just win some f****** games"

(See, @JamesSeed 😉)
    Reductionist waffle 😉

Did he repeat his scandalous claim that he took Charlton to its highest ever League position?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Advice he gave to young managers starting

"Pick your best team and stick to it. Consistency is important.
    A thousand times this.

There is so much horse shit spoken about "squads" these days, but football is all about having a settled XI as far as possible.

In our glory days under Bowyer we finally had that settled team in place and it showed in our results.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    Well I will be there. How about you?
    I take it you have passed my email, looking forward to the night.
    Only because its free
    We do pass a glass around 
    Bring it over and I'll give you a fiver.
    Get Sir John Humphrey along and I'll throw in a brown one.
    This glass suggests strippers are on the agenda.  Is that the half-time break entertainment?

True to my word.
    Be honest,  you was taking the money out.
    It had crossed my mind, it was my round next.
  • Options
    I'm pleased you all enjoyed it and I would have loved to have been there .. St Llewellyn, the patron saint of football people everywhere
  • Options
    A really enjoyable evening and on my door step. What more could I ask?