Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lap of Honour this year

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2022
    I wont be attending this afternoon so will give my appreciation below...... 

Booooo

Rubbish 

Sort yourselves out

Disgrace 

That is more aimed towards the management - all of them. From the team manager & coaches, through to Gallen & Sandgaard. My only hope is that lessons have been learnt from this appalling season & that recruitment is better & quicker than it was 12 months ago. 

The players should get a gentle clap to thank (some) for their efforts. 
  • Options
    Immediately.
    We shall see.
    Maybe it’s the 5.36 from Charlton station today as opposed to the usual 5.06.
    Depends on the performance and result.
  • Options
    I'm off out as soon as the final whistle goes, don't deserve any appreciation from me.
  • Options
    If I was there, I'd stay and clap. No lack of effort, just basically not up to it. But the 'thick and thin' is true. My dream is that we recruit like mad and clear up next season, but I won't bank on it. But I'm not going to boo the players - you can't ask anyone to do more than their best.
    Anyway, I'll stream it, and I won't applaud the telly.
  • Options
    A wave goodbye to Jacko, maybe.
  • Options
    Sensible to do a low key lap of honour, which in practice won't be much longer than the usual "clapping the crowd" anyway
  • Options
    Nope
  • Options
    Maybe so
  • Options
    Maybe so
    Care to expand?
  • Options
    So, did any of the Charlie Big Potatoes on here stay behind to boo the team/manager?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    So, did any of the Charlie Big Potatoes on here stay behind to boo the team/manager?
    Would've done if their keeper hadn't bertied me up for chucking a clipper at him
  • Options
    Maybe so
    Care to expand?
    Rumour he’s leaving. The person on the other forum who said Jon De Souza was coming in two days before it was announced said Jackson and Euell were leaving, and that TS is looking to sell the club.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Maybe so
    Care to expand?
    Rumour he’s leaving. The person on the other forum who said Jon De Souza was coming in two days before it was announced said Jackson and Euell were leaving, and that TS is looking to sell the club.
    No idea on the credibility of the other stuff, but the De Souza stuff was pretty widely known earlier in the week as he was actually in the club (and at Cambridge). I never hear anything Charlton related but had had two friends mention this earlier in the week.  
  • Options
    I applauded them as well. Most are limited players and not as good as many on here continue to maintain they are. But they do at least put their heart into when on the pitch. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    They saved their booing for the opposition keeper who having had abuse bad enough he has to report it to the ref elements of our supporters thought he deserved this
  • Options
    How ridiculous that they’ve had to change the wording from “honour” to “appreciation” to avoid triggering the easily agitated on Twitter.
  • Options
    I gave them unenthusiastic applause
  • Options
    The players showing appreciation to the fans who stick by them; Jack shit to do with a lap of honour. 

Well done guys for getting to 12th from 22nd. We just weren't good enough or injury free to get anywhere near the top six and Thomas Sandgaard hopefully has learnt that words are cheap, and " blow this division out of the water" I believe that was verbatim what he said. Made us look a bit daft when we sat on our hands when Wigan and Ipswich went in early. Not sure why fans/critics thought he didn't mean it ?

No more excuses from fans or management saying most business is done at the end of the window when other than Yann we did the business early with Phil Chappel and Chris Powell in our League 1 winning season.

I still believe that Johnnie Jackson will be a successful manager; not certain it will be at Charlton as so many of our fans similar to Portsmouth, Sheff Wed and Sunderland believe we just have a right to be in the Championship and we don't. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Maybe so
    Care to expand?
    Spoke to someone today in the club and they said TS is not looking to sell. Someone I'd tend to believe as well.

Re the lap of "appreciation" I think the fans voted with their feet on that one with the stadium pretty much empty. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Keep an eye open for what this man says. He’s ITK #JustSaying 😉
  • Options
    They did the kids thing I see.  I didn’t stay.  Wouldn’t boo them but not really interested in their ‘lap of appreciation’ either 

• Options
    Left on 65 minutes,  did I miss anything?
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    cafctom said:
    How ridiculous that they’ve had to change the wording from “honour” to “appreciation” to avoid triggering the easily agitated on Twitter.
    A lap of "honour" is usually reserved for when you actually win something.....or get very close to it. Finishing 12th is not something to be mightily proud of I would say. 

At least a lap of "appreciation" means those who want to can "thank" the players for their efforts. Jackson did an ok job to get the team out of the relegation places & into mid table mediocrity. No more, no less. I think any manager (or even a fan) could have got that squad into mid table from October onwards. 

I will be interested to see what Jackson can do next season when he has ALL the players he wants come Aug 30th. If he is not supported on this by the club then he should say so & not talk bollox for 3 months like Adkins. However, I dont think he is a good enough manager to get promotion. He loves the club but that is not enough imo. 

Jury's out for me regarding this season. Next season is the big one. Fuck that up & we really could be in trouble 
  • Options
    I thought the appreciation lap was always for the players to thank the fans for their support? 
  • Options
    End of season laps of honour are always convenient for the away fans, as it enables them to get away from the ground quickly and catch empty trains  :)
  • Options
    Outside the ground, there was a Shrewsbury supporting dinosaur masquerading as a dragon getting on a coach with St George. 
    Glad I didn’t miss that. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    A lap of "honour" is usually reserved for when you actually win something.....or get very close to it. Finishing 12th is not something to be mightily proud of I would say. 

At least a lap of "appreciation" means those who want to can "thank" the players for their efforts. Jackson did an ok job to get the team out of the relegation places & into mid table mediocrity. No more, no less. I think any manager (or even a fan) could have got that squad into mid table from October onwards. 

I will be interested to see what Jackson can do next season when he has ALL the players he wants come Aug 30th. If he is not supported on this by the club then he should say so & not talk bollox for 3 months like Adkins. However, I dont think he is a good enough manager to get promotion. He loves the club but that is not enough imo. 

Jury's out for me regarding this season. Next season is the big one. Fuck that up & we really could be in trouble 
    I don’t think there are rules around what is considered a lap of honour or lap of appreciation. It’s never been a discussion before from what I recall - but has only been brought up now because we’ve had a bad season.

They are both the same thing, but I stand by my prediction that the name was only changed just to please those who want to negatively pile in on the club for every single little detail these days. 
  • Options
    I usually stay for this, but caught the earlier train instead this time. There aren't many players I will be sad to see go. Pearce, Purrington and Washington I will miss if they leave, but the rest? I won't be going to Ipswich, so pleased to put this season behind me. Roll on 2022/23! Surely it won't be more disappointing than this year?