Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Washington: Judge me on goal return under Jacko

edited April 2022 in General Charlton
https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/conor-washington-judge-me-on-my-goal-return-under-johnnie-jackson-not-nigel-adkins/

Washington scored just one penalty in his opening 10 league apps under Adkins when he played out wide - 10 goals in 23 league outings under Jackson though, not far off a goal every two games. 

Comments

• Scoham said:
    Hope we keep him as a squad player on a 1 or 2 year deal.
    Yes, definitely worth keeping as a squad player. 
  • edited April 2022
    Scoham said:
    I also feel that a Striker is one of the most risky areas of a squad to bring in.

I know I'm loath to take risks on here at times (as per my comments about Bowyer etc.) - But is it wise to release our top scorer (in the League), and then bring in an Ajose or Benson type player? - At least if they fail in the fashion those two names did, we've still got a third choice Striker who we know can be reliable at times.

So far as I'm aware he's comfortable in the area (what with his family etc.), so cant be difficult to convince him to stay if we wanted to.
  • 10 goals in 23 matches is a decent return under JJ BUT the stat that matters is how many chances does he convert; against Lincoln he had 4 chances and took none. It cost Charlton the three points or at least a point if he had taken just one of those chances.
    In another home game we won 2-0 he scored both goals from 3 chances.

It was patently clear( to JJ and me!) that Conor needed to play more central in a two, which would not only help Jayden but would increase his own goal returns. The player who plays alongside Stockley or Aneke in a Two up front should be scoring a goal every 2 games. Chuks was excellent with a goal every 101 minutes even if that was from the bench because of an "issue" before his short time in the Midlands. 

No problem with Washington being offered a new contract as long as he realises he on the bench if he doesn't do what all strikers are paid to do, score. He does get into some really good positions but his finishing goes from the sublime ( chipping the keeper from Mac assist) to the ridiculous (the myriad of missed chances against Lincoln).

Catch 22 for Charlton is if Kanu stepped up and scored a few in August he would be gone before the window shuts as was the case with Mason Burstow, who scored a few early goals and bizarrely was signed by the ex champions of Europe despite being so raw he can't start for a mid table League 1 side. (Correct decision by JJ)

Funny old game.

• Sponsored links:

• Good squad member. Not a centre forward for me. Works hard though.
  • Scoham said:
    No reason not to give him two years to be honest. 
  • We can do much better than him. 

A trier but in a close game would never trust him to finish off a chance to win the game. 
  • edited April 2022
    It certainly sounds like he wants to stay.

A frustrating player, as he brings a lot to the team with his movement and workrate, but isn't a prolific scorer. Stockley on the other hand is good in the air (at both ends of the pitch) but doesn't have the all round game of Washington or indeed a Yann or Lyle Taylor.

Is Washington and Stockley a promotion winning partnership? I'm not sure
  • A league 1 Garry Nelson, unless we're going to go and sign someone better , which i still hope we do as well , i hope we can get him tied down on a 2 year deal , sooner rather than later, but fear that ship may have sailed.
  • Good squad member. Not a centre forward for me. Works hard though.
    What is he then? He’s not a winger and has a respectable goalscoring record - we’ve had a lot worse up front, plenty of non-scoring strikers.
  • We can do much better than him. 

A trier but in a close game would never trust him to finish off a chance to win the game. 
    No one (i think) is saying he should start, but he's certainly good enough to be part of the squad.

Do you think we'd do better than him as a 3rd or 4th choice striker in league one?
  • edited April 2022
    The problem with Washington, and Stockley, isn't really a problem with them. 

Yes they both miss chances and neither of them are the 25 goal striker we possibly need but would it matter as much if we had more other players that could score and let in less?

We keep plenty of clean sheets but also let in 2 too often.  That was a problem last season as well.  Once they get one they get more.

Rightly they get stick for missing chances but conceding 2, or more, at home to Lincoln and Morecambe AND the other 9 players being goal shy is a bigger problem.

In short they aren't good enough to get this team anywhere near the play offs but are they good enough to get a better one there?

Yes IMO but I would still want a "star striker" brining in in the summer. 
  • Sponsored links:

• When we play teams that try to press high, he is particularly useful as he is somebody who can get behind them. He is IMO less effective against teams that play deeper, but he is worth a place in the squad as he is decent for the level and provides options.
  • If Conor was a more ruthless finisher, or at least more confident and efficient in one-on-one situations he would be playing much higher up the football pyramid.
    He earned his big move to QPR on the basis of his all round game and then failed to score enough goals.
    We should be making much more of his movement and intelligent running.
    I'd love to keep him on as one of our pool of strikers because he offers something different.
    But we badly need a clinical finisher imo
  • It certainly sounds like he wants to stay.

A frustrating player, as he brings a lot to the team with his movement and workrate, but isn't a prolific scorer. Stockley on the other hand is good in the air (at both ends of the pitch) but doesn't have the all round game of Washington or indeed a Yann or Lyle Taylor.

Is Washington and Stockley a promotion winning partnership? I'm not sure
    Definitely not. If we're looking seriously at promotion I would hope we bring in 2 quality strikers ( Don't ask me who) with Washington & Stockley decent back up on the bench. Unfortunately I don't see that happening nor expect wholesale changes across our permanent squad. Obviously we'll have 5 loans come in & I just hope they're better than what we've got this year. Of course who chooses the loans is a question I'd like answered as these last two surely can't have been with JJs blessing.  
  • When we play teams that try to press high, he is particularly useful as he is somebody who can get behind them. He is IMO less effective against teams that play deeper, but he is worth a place in the squad as he is decent for the level and provides options.
    That's one of the reasons why him and Stockley are probably better than the sum of the parts as a pair.  If you defend too deep to stop Washington running in behind Stockley is winning headers on the edge of the area, or even worse that gray area where "should the keeper come for it? ". 

You want to play a high line against Stockley and a deeper one against Washington. 
  • sam3110 said:
    We can do much better than him. 

Really?! Name 3 players much better than him that we can sign this summer, realistically
    This is exactly why we need to keep him. In case we fail in recruitment again.

I think he'd improve (particularly his finishing) if he was playing with better players/players with a similar workrate. He offers options that we can't seem to use at the moment. 
  • edited April 2022
    if derby keep hold of  Rooney there will be players willing to take pay cuts to play under him at derby, we are just one of many ex prem clubs in the third division and we should be keeping hold of players like Washington before they are snapped up elsewhere. 
  • Washington scored 18 goals in five years prior to joining us. He has managed 11 in each of the last two seasons. I would keep him as a 3rd/4th choice but the notion of 20+ in a season looks well beyond him - his injury record alone suggests that.
  • A league 1 Garry Nelson, unless we're going to go and sign someone better , which i still hope we do as well , i hope we can get him tied down on a 2 year deal , sooner rather than later, but fear that ship may have sailed.
    I liked Nelson. Better than average journeyman player who stayed mostly fit. Nothing not to like .
    Nelson was a Charlton legend. I never saw him give less than 100%. He was far more than a journeyman player as you quite rightly say.
  • If we don't sign any new strikers then that will tell you everything you need to know about how seriously we're going after promotion.

Can't fault his work rate but he should be kept to come on against tired defenders late on