Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jon De Souza appointed as Men's First-Team Development Coach

Comments

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Christ we’re a miserable and negative fan base these days 
    I am not sure what is to be positive about? 
    What is there to be negative about? Is he better qualified and experienced than the last guy to have a similar role at the club.....grant basey 

who would you have appointed?
    We're hiring someone who's last job was at a failing league 2 club who's fans hated him. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    What is there to be negative about? Is he better qualified and experienced than the last guy to have a similar role at the club.....grant basey 

Personally I think that is role of someone that has come through the academy, understands what young players have been through mentally. 

We are employing people on the cheap..
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Personally I think that is role of someone that has come through the academy, understands what young players have been through mentally. 

In fairness he has a lot of experience working in academy football
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

But he hasn't been through the system.. I think that is a key factor of this role, the transition in to the first team, it is mentally challenging! 

Maybe it is to early to judge, but all the appointments so far look to me like they are employed on the cheap
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

But he hasn't been through the system.. I think that is a key factor of this role, the transition in to the first team, it is mentally challenging! 

Maybe it is to early to judge, but all the appointments so far look to me like they are employed on the cheap
    Recent appointments yes but Adkins, Roddy and Mumford not so much.
  • Options
    most of his experience has been with youth squads, his recent short spell as a D O F with a L2 outfit seems not to have gone well  .. what do Sandy or his advisers see in him to justify such a vital role with our senior squad ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:

He was Director of Performance at a club who have underperformed since he took the role, last season finished 20th in league 2 and this season are 19th, and last week they sacked him.

Does that say 'this is a good appointment' to you?
  • Options
    Wasn't Basel's role to integrate youth players into the first team set up. Isn't that what this guys role is?

This isnt an individual dig at you but a comment on the thought process of our larger fan base. I don't get the negativity on this appointment just because he has worked for Colchester, if doesn't automatically make him a poor appointment. Kinsella previously worked for Colchester!!

om keeping an open mind until curbs, minto and guest question this on Charlton tv!

skiverton is a bad appointment because we got him from Yeovil! Skiverton managed and coached Yeovil in league 1 which gives him similar experience to Jackson and euell at this level. 

We are a lower league club making lower league appointments. What and whom do people expect we appoint. Over the last few years, reading names like wilder and Howe are laughable. Some of our supporters Probably believer we should go for dyche.
    Speaking for myself, when someones apparent ambition is Premier League within 5 years (even if that 5 year period started from now) you will not achieve that with cheap cast offs from Yeovil and Colchester. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

You are right, expensive mistakes.. I was more referring to the recent appointments.

Going to cheap worries me a little, that TS is going to be running on a very tight budget next year, or some truth that he is looking to sell.. 

Has been a number of whispers for a few weeks that he is looking to sell or forced to sell.. Time will tell I suppose! 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

You are right, expensive mistakes.. I was more referring to the recent appointments.

Going to cheap worries me a little, that TS is going to be running on a very tight budget next year, or some truth that he is looking to sell.. 

Has been a number of whispers for a few weeks that he is looking to sell or forced to sell.. Time will tell I suppose! 
    Can you expand on that?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Can you expand on that?
    Just heard that he may have to sell, no more detail other than that.. Hence I haven't posted before, and time will tell if it is true or not
  • Options
    this was put up 2 days ago on the other site 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    FAVADDICK said:
    this was put up 2 days ago on the other site 
    Well he's got 1 right so far, so we can't exactly dismiss the other points.

De Souza - correct
    Jackson to go - ?
    Euell to go - ?
    TS trying to sell - ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:

He was Director of Performance at a club who have underperformed since he took the role, last season finished 20th in league 2 and this season are 19th, and last week they sacked him.

Does that say 'this is a good appointment' to you?
    Did he pick the team? Colchester have been poor for a few years now. 

Will sacking him now make Colchester good?

the point I'm trying to make is that we know very little about him. 10 years ago, this forum would have been full of welcome messages, now it's just moan moan moan without justification.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    So coaches now in from Yeovil and Colchester.
    They may be really good coaches but if they are why have they spent years at Yeovil and Colchester?
    Are we really getting Premier League ready, as TS tells us?
    Absolutely not on anything I've seen to date.

Tangible actions over words and soundbites.

Still he likes a pint and a tweet with fans so who gives a monkeys if we don't progress football wise in line with stated objectives.

I expect to be down in this league for the foreseeable and the reality is cutting our cloth accordingly.

That is unless we have a remarkable squad overhaul window and pre season a'la 2011 in the coming weeks which I think is very unlikely if not wholly unrealistic.

Renewed season ticket yesterday but not expecting any different this time next year based on instinct from what I've seen so far and expect.

Hopefully will be wrong but said that last summer too and predicted us to finish 7th...thinking I was being overly pessimistic. Turns out it was wild optimism in retrospect lol
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    Wow people seem to reading way too much in this in my opinion, we've a appointed a player development coach end of
    I get your point, and as a one off appointment you'd probably be right, nothing to worry about. But when you look at the bigger picture, TS's son, Skiverton, now this guy, it doesn't exactly scream 'premier league here we come' does it?

I'm not one to overly panic but it smacks of TS trying to do things on the cheap. Which is of course fair enough, it's his prerogative, and if he goes and spends 1m+ on the team in the summer no one will give a shit about these appointments. But i think if RD had made these appointments people would've been kicking off.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    All the appointments so far, scream to me that they are not willing to pay a decent salary.. Or is it, that we are just simply struggling to attract people!

I guess we are at least working our way up the footballing pyramid. If we continue like this, we might be able to get a tea lady on loan from Accrington. 
  • Options
    Too soon to start another takeover thread??
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    All the appointments so far, scream to me that they are not willing to pay a decent salary.. Or is it, that we are just simply struggling to attract people!

If Gillingham had made those 4 appointments we probably wouldn't bat an eyelid.
    Is this where we are now?
    I admit I am in the cynical negative group, but I have lost faith.
    I wish them well and hope they prove inspired appointments, but it just feels like we are trying to do it all on the cheap
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Oh for the days when we used to shop at Aldi!
  • Options
    when this appointment was first mentioned a month or so ago, in an interview with TS, it sounded as if a person had already been appointed and it said that the person had worked at 'the highest level'. Doesn't sound like De Souza to me as he only sacked last week. And some pretty damning comments on that link from Colchester fans. Not rushing to judgement on this but sounds more like we are shopping at Aldi than Waitrose and I don't think these last four appointments are making us 'Premier League ready' more 'National League ready'.