Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Air Pollution where you live

Read something today that directed me to this site https://www.addresspollution.org/

You can put your postcode in and find out how bad the average air pollution is where you live. I live in Lewisham (and not the most polluted part either) and am in 90th percentile for the UK, which is worse than I'd expected. 
The Valley is at 86%. The Toolbox is at 92%. 
A random address on Tunnel Avenue was at 93%.  I looked for somewhere relatively local that would have lower and even the Downe House has 64%, higher than 3 WHO recommended levels. 

Are we ever going to get pollution levels down? It's been shown to have real health effects. 

Comments

• Options
    It must have been really bad back in the days of coal fires. I'm amazed I'm still here.

With that link my house; 49%, and I should demand action according to WHO. I doubt Locksbottom could do much to reduce this apart from getting rid of cars and turning off gas boilers which isn't going to happen anytime soon. If the twats could stop with this obsession of log burners around my way I think I could live in relative fresh air.
  • Options
    Moving out of a 90 zone in a week! 

(Into a 91 zone) 
  • Options
    That's really interesting.

I moved to a 70 from a 91 at the end of 2020, and although it might be in my head, I feel like I have noticed a difference. I wonder how low you can actually get whilst still being inside the M25...
  • Options
    My area is 87. I only go to The Valley to enjoy 2 hours of fresh air (86)
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    Read something today that directed me to this site https://www.addresspollution.org/

You can put your postcode in and find out how bad the average air pollution is where you live. I live in Lewisham (and not the most polluted part either) and am in 90th percentile for the UK, which is worse than I'd expected. 
    The Valley is at 86%. The Toolbox is at 92%. 
    A random address on Tunnel Avenue was at 93%.  I looked for somewhere relatively local that would have lower and even the Downe House has 64%, higher than 3 WHO recommended levels. 

Are we ever going to get pollution levels down? It's been shown to have real health effects. 
    Is Downe House higher than expected due to being so close to an airport?
  • Options
    53 up here in sunny South Liverpool  ;)
  • Options
    60 in Hoo, 31-35 in the few streets I’ve checked where I’m looking at houses.

Quite concerning just how high some areas are.
    my old job was 92 (Bermondsey)
  • Options
    @rananegra did the thing you read indicate when the readings relate to? The site itself says the data comes from Imperial College but I couldn't see anything about how up to date they are.
    I hold the current Charlton Life record with 97%, which doesn't especially surprise me given I live on a one way system, but given recent local controversies about changes to traffic calming measures, I wonder whether it's changed much over the last couple of years.
  • Options
    Just checked my address in Greater Manchester. 96th percentile! Shows it's not just limited to London.
  • Options
    84 for sunny Belvedere
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    28 where we live - 61 where I work
  • Options
    45 here in Wales
  • Options
    It’s not good, I put in a neighbours address and got 75.
  • Options
    22 here, which surprises me, damn tractors and farming!!
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    55%

The pollution leading to cancer is something I've always pondered. If you had a twin, would it be safe to be a non smoker living in a City like London, or a smoker that lives out in the sticks in Cornwall ?

My old address in Totnes, is 15%....although when I lived there I was smoking crack 😅
  • Options
    98. Surprised I'm still alive.
  • Options
    80 in my road 
  • Options
    58%.
  • Options
  • Options
    78 in Bromley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Isn't that website just trying to get signatures though?
  • Options
    84!
  • Options
    8, the constant rain must clean the air.
  • Options
    Quite happy with that
  • Options
    10 - Truro
  • Options
    78 in Bromley.
    That's why I moved to the countryside.
    Its 65 over here
  • Options
    79 at home - Collier Row
    99 at work - Victoria 
  • Options