Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scott Twine & The Implications Of Not Striking Early

No doubt others mentioned Twine too but picked this comment from @ElliotCAFC on last year's "Rumours" thread:

MK Dons landing Scott Twine is a great bit of business for them, I didn’t think they’d be the club to get him. He’ll most likely go for a lot more money within the next 18 months. 

It’s a shame as I’d have liked us to sign him. It reminds me of when they signed Scott Fraser, clearly a good player but none of the bigger clubs seemed interested. 

20 goals and 13 assists this season suggests that Elliot got it bang on the mark. Twine is still only 22 and cost MKD £300,000 plus 20% sell on fee. We've been crying out for an attacking midfielder of this nature (Lee has the best stats of ours with 3 goals and 4 assists) so how come MKD took a chance with him and we didn't? We waited for second "dibs" on Fraser instead! Could it just be down to the fact that we don't do our research early enough - look at the date that MKD signed him. On the 8th June. We were still looking three or four weeks into the season.

In SCP's total re-vamp of our squad we had Stephens, Green, Hollands, Wiggins, Morrison and Taylor all signed by 15th July. Yes one or two others did follow later (including Yann) but those half a dozen were instrumental in the the runaway success of our side. The other main reason for getting those signings early is so they can play together for the first time in pre-season and not once the season has begun.

Wigan succeeded in transforming from a side that finished one point off relegation last season to Champions this. However, the likes of Whatmough, Naylor, Power, Cousins, Wyke, Humphrys and Amos (oh the irony) were all signed by the 9th July ( four weeks before the start of the season) with most of them were agreed in June.

The question is - will we learn from that this year? If JJ is going then TS needs to sack him now and get the best available Manager in asap. If he isn't then he needs to tell JJ that so he and those responsible for recruiting (including any family members but not instead of the Manager) as a matter of urgency. 

It's no use thinking that you are one of the biggest clubs in the Division if you act like one of the smallest.

Comments

• Options
    Would love to know why we didn’t sign him?

And who the next ‘Scott Twine’ signing is that we should be going after?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Didn't we go for frazer instead but lost out due to ipswich offering more?

whether we were interested in Twine or not, we acted too slow last summer and hope lessons have been learnt 
  • Options

Because we were chasing Scott Fraser instead.

Milton Keynes signed Twine on 1st July, they sold Fraser to Ipswich 14-days later

Oddly they took the strange approach of actually signing the REPLACEMENT player, before they sold the player they then knew they could afford to lose... Thats my biggest frustration with our transfer policies the last few years.

e.g. Had we signed Twine, I doubt we'd have targeted Fraser as imagine Milton Keynes would have refused to sell, even if it did take us a further six months to finally get his signature
  • Options
    Those stats for Twine are excellent. 
  • Options

could be he preferred to move to MKD .. if MKD don't go up via the play offs, expect him to go to a 'big' Champ club for a lot of money
  • Options
    Not posting for glory, but staying on topic:
    In the post match thread v Cheltenham in Sept, I said

The lad we nearly signed instead of DJ scored twice for Bolton today. 
    He is going to have a jolly time with our defence in a couple of weeks. 
    I said after the first game that we would have only scored six goals in the first eight games and Nads would be on the ropes. 
    It’s looking a fair prediction. 

The “lad” (Afolayan) finished the season with 12 goals and 4 assists. Rated 7.11 (Twine rated 7.41). 
    We agreed a nominal fee/personal terms with WHU for him but switched to DJ at the last minute. 
    He was gutted..
    Bolton now want some dosh and  have had enquiries from Fulham and Bournemouth but it’s possible he may go to a Bunda club for £2m. 

SG has found some decent players in his time with us, for sure, but you’re only as good as your recent record. Dobbo is great, Lavelle is good, but DJ/Gilbey are pants, Kirk was an odd situation and Fraser is yet to show anything. 

We need creativity and have to sign the right guys for next season. 
    Spurs have a 20 year old available for loan next year and I hope he is on our radar. 
    We will have Scarlett faces if he goes to another L1 club. 
    Wonder what the chances will be of Spurs lending us another player after John though?
  • Options
    Not posting for glory, but staying on topic:
    In the post match thread v Cheltenham in Sept, I said

The lad we nearly signed instead of DJ scored twice for Bolton today. 
    He is going to have a jolly time with our defence in a couple of weeks. 
    I said after the first game that we would have only scored six goals in the first eight games and Nads would be on the ropes. 
    It’s looking a fair prediction. 

The “lad” (Afolayan) finished the season with 12 goals and 4 assists. Rated 7.11 (Twine rated 7.41). 
    We agreed a nominal fee/personal terms with WHU for him but switched to DJ at the last minute. 
    He was gutted..
    Bolton now want some dosh and  have had enquiries from Fulham and Bournemouth but it’s possible he may go to a Bunda club for £2m. 

SG has found some decent players in his time with us, for sure, but you’re only as good as your recent record. Dobbo is great, Lavelle is good, but DJ/Gilbey are pants, Kirk was an odd situation and Fraser is yet to show anything. 

We need creativity and have to sign the right guys for next season. 
    Spurs have a 20 year old available for loan next year and I hope he is on our radar. 
    We will have Scarlett faces if he goes to another L1 club. 
    Wonder what the chances will be of Spurs lending us another player after John though?
    Wonder if Chelsea will still lend us anyone after Castillo? Shame if that's the case because we've done well with signings from them with the likes of Dasilva, Gallagher and Maatsen in recent seasons.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:
    The thing is though, Twine and Fraser are different types of players. One is a 10 who can play wide and up front in a two, the other is an 8 who will spot a pass or run earlier as well as carry the ball forward through midfield. They’re actually different players who could have played in the same team.

Hypothetically you could but we wouldn't have done in the system we were trying to recruit for last summer.  
  • Options
    Sage said:
    The thing is though, Twine and Fraser are different types of players. One is a 10 who can play wide and up front in a two, the other is an 8 who will spot a pass or run earlier as well as carry the ball forward through midfield. They’re actually different players who could have played in the same team.
    That assumes we wanted Fraser to play deeper, Adkins may have used him as a 10 despite him playing deeper for MK Dons.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Someone thought Morgan was our 10.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Someone thought Morgan was our 10.
    At there is the problem. 
  • Options
    How many 'Scott Twine' signings were there that didn't do any good?
  • Options
    A few years ago but Nicky Ajose was one, but of course it was us that signed him.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    I think you're missing the main point of my original post which was all about identifying targets as opposed to one player before the end of the season and signing them in June/early July as we did under CP in getting Stephens, Green, Hollands, Wiggins, Morrison and Taylor done and dusted and as Wigan did last year with  Whatmough, Naylor, Power, Cousins, Wyke, Humphrys and Amos.

Twine is the marquee signing that will make the difference but the "difference" is absolutely no good whatsoever without the underpin of solidity which the likes of Stephens, Hollands, Wiggins, Morrison and Taylor gave us. Our signing that made the difference actually came later in the shape of Yann but that was one that was very much under the radar and purely because of the relationship enjoyed between him and CP.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    I can’t think of any young players that did what he did for Swindon and Newport last year. You can’t really compare him to a striker who has a one off 20 goal season. Twine was doing things with a football that I haven’t seen at this level of the pyramid. 

His technical ability is absolutely outrageous and I’d be astounded if he’s not in the Premier League by 25 years old. Properly gutted we didn’t get him. 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    I can’t think of any young players that did what he did for Swindon and Newport last year. You can’t really compare him to a striker who has a one off 20 goal season. Twine was doing things with a football that I haven’t seen at this level of the pyramid. 

His technical ability is absolutely outrageous and I’d be astounded if he’s not in the Premier League by 25 years old. Properly gutted we didn’t get him. 
    What about the lad that went from Exeter to Peterborough last summer that had everyone who had never seen him play pulling their plonker?  Or a guy with a similar name who went to Hull?

What did they achieve last season? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Joel Randall - 2 starts (1 league) 9 sub apps 0 goals for Posh

Randell Williams - 5 starts (4 league) 9 sub apps 0 goals for Hull

Two players who might be available this summer...
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Joel Randall - 2 starts (1 league) 9 sub apps 0 goals for Posh

Randell Williams - 5 starts (4 league) 9 sub apps 0 goals for Hull

Two players who might be available this summer...
    I'd have thought the opposite with Joel Randall. Didn't play much of a part but with Peterborough's relegation you'd expect him to be more involved in L1.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Nah he's "Twine a 9" 

MK DONS FORWARD SCOTT TWINE 9 Editorial Stock Photo - Stock Image   Shutterstock  Shutterstock Editorial
  • Options
    Having said that, if Randell Williams is no longer in the plans at Hull, he would be a very good wing back at this level…
  • Options
    Joel Randell spent a lot of time injured whilst at Exeter, he looks very lightweight.  I was happy we did not sign him and even more so looking at his recent season.
  • Options
    Sorry for turning this into the Randell and Randall show but the point was of 10 players people think we should sign 1, Twine in this case will be a massive hit, but most won't be.