Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scott Twine & The Implications Of Not Striking Early

2»

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Joel Randall - 2 starts (1 league) 9 sub apps 0 goals for Posh

Randell Williams - 5 starts (4 league) 9 sub apps 0 goals for Hull

Two players who might be available this summer...
    I'd have thought the opposite with Joel Randall. Didn't play much of a part but with Peterborough's relegation you'd expect him to be more involved in L1.
    Yeah good point
  • Options
    I mentioned how much I'd have liked us to sign him but felt he was destined for bigger things and has proven it. Class, class player 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I mentioned how much I'd have liked us to sign him but felt he was destined for bigger things and has proven it. Class, class player 
    And the same age as Albie Morgan...
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Carter said:
    And the same age as Albie Morgan...
    You mean we can't say one way or the other and best give it another 2 or 3 years? 
  • Options
    Would love to know why we didn’t sign him?

And who the next ‘Scott Twine’ signing is that we should be going after?
    could be he preferred to move to MKD .. if MKD don't go up via the play offs, expect him to go to a 'big' Champ club for a lot of money
    Judging by his performance at Plymouth I think your right there, £3-4 million?
  • Options
    Yeah but we've got Albie & Gilbs so who needs Twine? (A massive F*** up by our recruitment team) 
  • Options
    Not posting for glory, but staying on topic:
    In the post match thread v Cheltenham in Sept, I said

The lad we nearly signed instead of DJ scored twice for Bolton today. 
    He is going to have a jolly time with our defence in a couple of weeks. 
    I said after the first game that we would have only scored six goals in the first eight games and Nads would be on the ropes. 
    It’s looking a fair prediction. 

The “lad” (Afolayan) finished the season with 12 goals and 4 assists. Rated 7.11 (Twine rated 7.41). 
    We agreed a nominal fee/personal terms with WHU for him but switched to DJ at the last minute. 
    He was gutted..
    Bolton now want some dosh and  have had enquiries from Fulham and Bournemouth but it’s possible he may go to a Bunda club for £2m. 

SG has found some decent players in his time with us, for sure, but you’re only as good as your recent record. Dobbo is great, Lavelle is good, but DJ/Gilbey are pants, Kirk was an odd situation and Fraser is yet to show anything. 

We need creativity and have to sign the right guys for next season. 
    Spurs have a 20 year old available for loan next year and I hope he is on our radar. 
    We will have Scarlett faces if he goes to another L1 club. 
    Wonder what the chances will be of Spurs lending us another player after John though?
    Wonder if Chelsea will still lend us anyone after Castillo? Shame if that's the case because we've done well with signings from them with the likes of Dasilva, Gallagher and Maatsen in recent seasons.
    Chelsea knew we didn’t want Castillo. It was a fix to get him out of Birmingham.
  • Options

I said after the first game that we would have only scored six goals in the first eight games and Nads would be on the ropes. 

The “lad” (Afolayan) finished the season with 12 goals and 4 assists. Rated 7.11 (Twine rated 7.41). 
    We agreed a nominal fee/personal terms with WHU for him but switched to DJ at the last minute. 
    He was gutted..
    Bolton now want some dosh and  have had enquiries from Fulham and Bournemouth but it’s possible he may go to a Bunda club for £2m. 

SG has found some decent players in his time with us, for sure, but you’re only as good as your recent record. Dobbo is great, Lavelle is good, but DJ/Gilbey are pants, Kirk was an odd situation and Fraser is yet to show anything. 

Spurs have a 20 year old available for loan next year and I hope he is on our radar. 
    Wonder what the chances will be of Spurs lending us another player after John though?
    Wonder if Chelsea will still lend us anyone after Castillo? Shame if that's the case because we've done well with signings from them with the likes of Dasilva, Gallagher and Maatsen in recent seasons.
    Chelsea knew we didn’t want Castillo. It was a fix to get him out of Birmingham.
    Castillo must have been thrilled with football at the moment - he's not wanted by his parent club, wasn't wanted by Birmingham and we don't want him either. That must be very difficult for the lad. 
  • Options
    No doubt others mentioned Twine too but picked this comment from @ElliotCAFC on last year's "Rumours" thread:

MK Dons landing Scott Twine is a great bit of business for them, I didn’t think they’d be the club to get him. He’ll most likely go for a lot more money within the next 18 months. 

It’s a shame as I’d have liked us to sign him. It reminds me of when they signed Scott Fraser, clearly a good player but none of the bigger clubs seemed interested. 

20 goals and 13 assists this season suggests that Elliot got it bang on the mark. Twine is still only 22 and cost MKD £300,000 plus 20% sell on fee. We've been crying out for an attacking midfielder of this nature (Lee has the best stats of ours with 3 goals and 4 assists) so how come MKD took a chance with him and we didn't? We waited for second "dibs" on Fraser instead! Could it just be down to the fact that we don't do our research early enough - look at the date that MKD signed him. On the 8th June. We were still looking three or four weeks into the season.

In SCP's total re-vamp of our squad we had Stephens, Green, Hollands, Wiggins, Morrison and Taylor all signed by 15th July. Yes one or two others did follow later (including Yann) but those half a dozen were instrumental in the the runaway success of our side. The other main reason for getting those signings early is so they can play together for the first time in pre-season and not once the season has begun.

Wigan succeeded in transforming from a side that finished one point off relegation last season to Champions this. However, the likes of Whatmough, Naylor, Power, Cousins, Wyke, Humphrys and Amos (oh the irony) were all signed by the 9th July ( four weeks before the start of the season) with most of them were agreed in June.

The question is - will we learn from that this year? If JJ is going then TS needs to sack him now and get the best available Manager in asap. If he isn't then he needs to tell JJ that so he and those responsible for recruiting (including any family members but not instead of the Manager) as a matter of urgency. 

It's no use thinking that you are one of the biggest clubs in the Division if you act like one of the smallest.
    I didn't think TS was going to react that quickly to this thread! Sorry to see JJ go but the second and third parts of the equation (Manager recruitment and identification and signings of players) have to be completed as a matter of urgency.  
  • Options
    edited May 2022

He was gutted..

Castillo must have been thrilled with football at the moment - he's not wanted by his parent club, wasn't wanted by Birmingham and we don't want him either. That must be very difficult for the lad. 
    None of those mentioned want me either...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redhenry said:

He was gutted..

None of those mentioned want me either...
    We share your pain.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    NabySarr said:
    Twine was a player I wanted last summer but not sure we would have been able to get him anyway. Read this interesting piece from his agents (Momentum Sports Management) and they basically used data to hand-pick MK Dons as the ideal team for him with their style
    Watching Twine tonight and felt this needed to be requoted.

Player power is the name of the game. If we want to be signing players like Twine, we are going to require a forward-thinking coach to be able to attract them.

Let’s imagine Twine mk 2 was available this summer. Even if we were to speak to his agency about signing him, I’m not sure we would be able to convince them of our intent. They’d look at what we’ve done over the past two seasons and say thanks but no thanks.

It might well take Charlton a couple of years to build the reputation we would want & need to attract this type of talent to the club.

Having said all of the above, it makes me think twice about my wish for a young and upcoming coach from League 2 or youth football. There is a massive task to turn this around and it’s going to need some strong leadership and experience to get it done right.

I am hoping we are talking with Warburton and I lean heavily towards him being the best candidate. I believe he’s the man that can start us on our journey. Whether he is here in 2-3 years to see it through is a different question. But I don’t think there’d be a more experienced option to set the platform, bringing our team into this new chapter.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Twine was a player I wanted last summer but not sure we would have been able to get him anyway. Read this interesting piece from his agents (Momentum Sports Management) and they basically used data to hand-pick MK Dons as the ideal team for him with their style

Player power is the name of the game. If we want to be signing players like Twine, we are going to require a forward-thinking coach to be able to attract them.

Let’s imagine Twine mk 2 was available this summer. Even if we were to speak to his agency about signing him, I’m not sure we would be able to convince them of our intent. They’d look at what we’ve done over the past two seasons and say thanks but no thanks.

It might well take Charlton a couple of years to build the reputation we would want & need to attract this type of talent to the club.

Having said all of the above, it makes me think twice about my wish for a young and upcoming coach from League 2 or youth football. There is a massive task to turn this around and it’s going to need some strong leadership and experience to get it done right.

I am hoping we are talking with Warburton and I lean heavily towards him being the best candidate. I believe he’s the man that can start us on our journey. Whether he is here in 2-3 years to see it through is a different question. But I don’t think there’d be a more experienced option to set the platform, bringing our team into this new chapter.
    Yep I agree with that, Warburton would be great but I can’t see it happening unless the Sandgaards are willing to let him have a say on recruitment. Think this will put off any good experienced manager like Warburton, meaning it will either be a young coach or a desperate for a job experienced manager like Adkins was. 

I think TS seems to be taking an approach that is reasonable for a team building for the long term with a set style of play and a recruitment team that won’t change whoever the manager is. But I think we should have been (and should be now) thinking a lot more short term. Get out of league 1 and stay up in the championship for a year, once that is done is when we can start a long term build towards the premier league 
  • Options
    Pretty sure that if we'd signed him he'd have been Charltonised and we'd now be looking to loan him to a league 2 side this summer.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

Yep I agree with that, Warburton would be great but I can’t see it happening unless the Sandgaards are willing to let him have a say on recruitment. Think this will put off any good experienced manager like Warburton, meaning it will either be a young coach or a desperate for a job experienced manager like Adkins was. 

I think TS seems to be taking an approach that is reasonable for a team building for the long term with a set style of play and a recruitment team that won’t change whoever the manager is. But I think we should have been (and should be now) thinking a lot more short term. Get out of league 1 and stay up in the championship for a year, once that is done is when we can start a long term build towards the premier league 
    If we really want to copy Brentford, we should get Warburton in for a couple of seasons and gradually reduce his say on recruitment as the set-up fully transitions. :-)

His playing style aligns with the way we want to play, supposedly. Let's focus on that first and foremost. IMO trying to rip and replace everything over a single summer is probably a recipe for another season of failure.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

MK Dons are a good example of this approach going well at the moment. But there is also Barnsley who did well but had managers poached and a lot of their best players and have now been relegated. Wouldn’t be surprised if MK lose Manning and a few of their players this summer if they don’t go up
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

If we really want to copy Brentford, we should get Warburton in for a couple of seasons and gradually reduce his say on recruitment as the set-up fully transitions. :-)

His playing style aligns with the way we want to play, supposedly. Let's focus on that first and foremost. IMO trying to rip and replace everything over a single summer is probably a recipe for another season of failure.
    Yep I think a young coach trying to implement a new playing style on a squad with 10+ new players is unlikely to satisfy Sandgaards stated target of challenging the top 2. Might work long term for the season after, but does Sandgaard have the patience for that or will he sack the new guy before we see the rewards 
  • Options
    Pretty sure that if we'd signed him he'd have been Charltonised and we'd now be looking to loan him to a league 2 side this summer.
    Or loaned to the league above in January 
  • Options
    He would’ve tore a groin, dislocated a shoulder or snapped a hamstring if we signed him.  
  • Options
    He would’ve tore a groin, dislocated a shoulder or snapped a hamstring if we signed him.  
    Its Charlton, he would have achieved all three
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Its Charlton, he would have achieved all three
    Almost forgot also, caught long covid when infection rates were at a nationwide low. 
  • Options
    Great goal tonight
  • Options
    I feel a bit strung along by this thread
  • Options
    Apologies. I started the thread and if I could unravel it I would.

Who needs to strike early anyway, sign a player for £300K and then sell him exactly a year later for more than 12 times that? TS for one!
  • Options

Who needs to strike early anyway, sign a player for £300K and then sell him exactly a year later for more than 12 times that? TS for one!
    no worries I was only unwinding on here 
  • Options

Our transfer record in recent years has been terrible financially. So many cash signings where the player is worth less than what we paid for, Dobson must one of the rare exceptions.

It's really giving me the needle.