Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fatigue with all things CAFC

I think this latest episode is one in what feels like a long list of events that is starting to wear me down when it comes to Charlton.

These last few years, apart from that promotion season and time in the run up to Covid in the championship, it’s been pretty bleak.  

It feels like death from 1000 cuts.  

After the whole ESI episode and TS coming into save us, I know we should be grateful to still have a club, and I am, but I’ve just got very little appetite for it all.

I don’t really like any of the players, I’m not quite sure what to make of TS and the direction we’re headed, wasn’t particularly fussed with Jackson leaving and there were times last season when I didn’t even react when we scored.  

I’ve no doubt it’s just a phase, and I am sure if we get a good group of players together again under a decent manager and put a decent season together, I’ll have my passion reignited, but it feels like I am engaging with the club by going to games as well as posting on here for example, very much in body but not in spirit.  

I just wondered how many others have been worn down with what feels like the last 8–10 years now? 

Comments

• Options
    The division within the fanbase is what gets to me more than anything. Those who snipe at others who like Sandgaard and vice versa.

The rebound from COVID definitely gave me an extra gear to go to more games than usual, which on reflection was probably a blessing. God knows how miserable I’d have been if it had just been a regular season.
  • Options
    Was hoping for a bit of recruitment and perhaps some success next year. Instead more drama, exhausting really.
  • Options
    I really haven't enjoyed this season, mainly as I just couldn't bring myself to care about any of the players, even JJ appointment went downhill quickly.

We're miles behind other clubs on and off the field. Good news, on the pitch in L1 we can turn that round quickly. Bad news I'm not sure under TS ownership that will happen, I'll probably still renew but I've got more important things to spend an afternoon on than watching a guy 500 miles away and his son thinking they know better 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I miss the vibe around the place when we've got a side to really get behind who give it all for the shirt and play other teams off the park.
    Haven't had that in so long and don't think we'll see it any time soon.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I definitely think the “not feeling a connection to the players” is a big thing. Charlton have had rubbish teams in the past, but this is something new for me.
  • Options
    I agree with you. I couldn't tell you our next fixture at any given time this year. Which for me Is odd I used to know them all etc. I think it's my love for football overall is on the decline, but I just don't know why... 
  • Options
    I am coming up to 60 years supporting the club. God knows, I appreciate Charlton isn’t about the glory but the fact we are simply just not very good is starting to wear thin.
  • Options
    Yeh I'm disillusioned and fed up with Charlton, not for the first time.
    I don't think publicly wallowing in self-pity is a good look though.
    I trust we will bounce back at some point (hopefully in my lifetime  ;) )
  • Options
    I've renewed mine and my daughter's S/Ts. And she now counts as an adult :(

I'll settle for a team that at least tries to be competitive. Ideally a manager who leaves Gilbey on the bench (or sells him if managers are allowed to do that in our new era).  And aiming for top 6 minimum. 
    It's not impossible. I still see mates and sometimes go to the pub. Outside of the 1st team, things are fairly positive. But there's a lot of division - we're in Lower North and there have been fights, things thrown onto the pitch, I really didn't like the abuse of Burstow ... but then I guess things like this have always happened, it just feels a bit worse because we had all that lost time for Covid. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can’t wait for the hundred!
  • Options
    I can completely understand the fatigue.

There's plenty of things to not be happy with right now:
    • The disconnect and general apathy towards the vast majority of the squad.
    • A very poor finish in the league against our expectations at the start.
    • The sacking of two managers in a season, the latter of the two being one many of whom could connect with because of his time at the club.
    • An owner who talks of playoffs being a minimum, but doesn't currently have a manager nor squad in place to support that.
    Supporting your football club is an escape, a way to forget the stresses of (for most of us) working life. When it feels similar to the challenges of modern life that many of experience on a daily basis, it just feels like another thing to add to the list. Another thing to worry about. Another stress to consider.

For many, there's not a huge amount to be happy about. However, I try to look it from the perspective that there will be work going on right now to resolve all those things. I didn't want JJ to be sacked, but here we are. I wanted focus to be purely on players, but, again, here we are. You can tweet at TS with all your ire, but tbh, we're going to line up next season with new players and a new manager, with even a smallest amount of hope it might all come together.

I've got my season ticket and I'll be there. Things may still be a bit of a mess at the minute, but I am just pleased the club is still here and I can keep going during a global pandemic. Take a break from it all for a few days. Come back when we have our new gaffer in charge. Watch the various playoff games or the PL.

We'll get there :)
  • Options
    Have never been less interested in Charlton since I started going in '78. The Shrewsbury game was my first in over 2 years and I only really went as I'd done the upbeats walk in the morning. Only lasted until half time and pissed off to The Oak. Normally when I go after a break I really enjoy being back and realise how much I've missed it.
  • Options
    Great OP and certainly one I can relate to. I’ve been falling out of love with football year on year for a very long time. As far as Charlton are concerned it’s been a hard slog but I will say that no matter what mistakes Thomas has made in his short ownership, I still have no doubts that he’s the first owner we’ve had since Murray that actually gave a toss about the club and the fans. He’s not a crook or a chancer. I’m hoping that the last two years have opened Thomas’s eyes and he gets that the next appointment must be the right one. I’m more positive about next season than I was a week ago. 
  • Options
    How  you see football is how you will see life. You can always put a positive meaning to any experience.  Wembley was never seen as fantastic as it was without such a shit few years beforehand. The highs and the lows supporting Charlton are no different from any other clubs in league one. Be positive and look for the optimistic take on what has just happened this last season. Yes it could get worse but it’s more likely to get better.
  • Options
    There's a thread like this every few months. It isn't Charlton, it's you. Enjoy the cricket season and see you in July ;) 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Yeah , of course i'm ground down , just been watching 'Feel the Fear' or whatever its called with Wim Hoff, would love to stick a few of our players in a barrel of ice to wake em up!
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I moved to Wales four and a half years ago. I do miss going to virtually every home game with all that entails, meeting up and having some beers with friends before the game etc. However, in many ways, I am pleased that I no longer have the self imposed obligation of seeing nearly every home game. I can choose the occasional home game to attend and throw in those away games that are in comparatively each reach of the land of my wife’s fathers. Cardiff and Swansea disappointed me by not being relegated and Newport’s failure to get promoted robbed me of adding another new ground to see. However,  Forest Green Rovers and Exeter await and hopefully Bristol Rovers or Swindon will join them.