Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fatigue with all things CAFC

2»

Comments

• Options
    I get what people are saying, but Charlton having disappointing owners is hardly new. When I was young, the older supporters used to tell stories about the Glikstens, and were unfailingly rude about them. It was ever thus. After the last couple of ownerships, I'll settle for someone who isn't actively malicious. It's a low bar to clear, but for me I'm prepared to forgive TS quite a lot just because we still exist and aren't actively collapsing, plus he's invested in the women's team in a way that the club hasn't done since the relegation from the Premier League. Yes, the football hasn't enticed me back to the Valley yet, but it's a long trip and I've never been a particularly regular attender. I'm willing to give him time, rather than call for change having seen quite how bad some of the other ownership options might be.
  • Options
    This is a repeat of what everyone was saying a number of years ago.

If you are losing interest in supporting the club and the sparks gone, then you might aswell just accept that.

Don't feel obliged to attend games and renew a season ticket - if you have had enough and or you want a break from it.

I recommend just enjoying the positive historic moments of supporting Charlton.

You won't get anywhere if you often compare the good times with what's going on at the moment.

We are a mid table league one club. Its dull, boring, repetitive.

Just the way it is.

• Options
    I’ve been going to the games since 63, I love this club and have so many memories of my family and friends, it’s part of my life as much as my body parts are. I’m used to the ups and downs ( more downs than ups) of the club but at the moment I feel so disconnected it saddens me . I feel nothing for the players at all and didn’t attend a match since Plymouth away in December. I’m hoping the summer break rekindles my love and interest. I’ve no doubt il be renewing my season ticket and my grandsons and will be there in August. 
  • Options
    Last season was shite and although I had a season ticket, there were a couple of the later games I didn't bother with and went to Hendon instead. 

But...I still went to 20 odd games, watched a couple more on Charlton TV and I have bought my season ticket for next season. I hope for some good new players and a new manager, who won't be afraid of playing the youngsters and who can get some interest going. 
  • Options
    Interestingly, I was feeling this before TS as I couldn’t see light at the end of the tunnel and thought that Charlton was slowly slipping into non existence with a continual procession of crooks and a**eholes running our club. 

I have always enjoyed looking at the evolution of teams and clubs and looking at which are on the rise and which are going backwards. I am always more excited as a Charlton fan when I feel we are on the right side of that trend. As a team, I think we’re on the turn, but as a club I feel we’ve only been going in one direction over the last couple of years and that’s in a positive way. 

TS hasn’t got everything right since he’s been here, but I do believe his intentions are correct and he wants to run the club right and in a forward thinking way. 

I was surprised by his decision to not retain JJ but I believe it is a move that shows his intent. We are not where anyone wants us to be, but I am motivated by the positive direction I think the club is going.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I recommend instead of traveling away to sing "we're effing shite" try watching a local team in steps 3 downwards where you can have a drink, chat to folk, and be home for tea when it still light and not be stuck in some northern out post train station while a group of under 5's give wanker signs before a 300 hundred mile trip home by rail, coach or car. If you are a ex pat from London then keep going because that is your fate !

So even when we win at Sunderland and Rotherham you feel nothing or when we had those 2-0 wins against Ipswich, Plymouth, Cambridge at home ? I would call that depression and I should know !

I stopped going to away games because of the travelling and the negativity but I was at the three home games above and the mood was vibrant.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    I think this latest episode is one in what feels like a long list of events that is starting to wear me down when it comes to Charlton.

These last few years, apart from that promotion season and time in the run up to Covid in the championship, it’s been pretty bleak.  

It feels like death from 1000 cuts.  

After the whole ESI episode and TS coming into save us, I know we should be grateful to still have a club, and I am, but I’ve just got very little appetite for it all.

I don’t really like any of the players, I’m not quite sure what to make of TS and the direction we’re headed, wasn’t particularly fussed with Jackson leaving and there were times last season when I didn’t even react when we scored.  

I’ve no doubt it’s just a phase, and I am sure if we get a good group of players together again under a decent manager and put a decent season together, I’ll have my passion reignited, but it feels like I am engaging with the club by going to games as well as posting on here for example, very much in body but not in spirit.  

I just wondered how many others have been worn down with what feels like the last 8–10 years now? 
    You’ve perfectly summed up how I feel @cabbles
  • Options
    We haven't had a ST since covid and haven't been to the Valley this past season nor have any inclination to do so next season. We will do a few of the closer away matches like Exeter and Plymouth but will watch the rest on Charlton TV. 

I feel sad with regard to the club, I don't trust TS and am weary of his pronouncements  but still enjoy us winning or not loosing. I have no wish to support of watch any other club but this is properly the lowest I have felt re Charlton but come the 1st game of next season I expect I'll be brushing off my spreadsheet and getting ready for some high marks.
  • Options
    Some very good, considered responses.  Despite my feeling of fatigue I’ve renewed, I’ll always be there.  

I am just suprised at how little affinity I feel toward the players.  I am sure I’ve had similar feelings at some point, maybe around 08 to 11.

I was very fortunate to grow up watching us work toward the goal of returning to the Valley and then the subsequent era Curbs built and establishing us as a Premier league team, so slightly spoilt in that respect, but those seasons under Powell and Bowyer aside, it’s been a real slog.

As others have said, this changes as soon as we have a decent team and get some good wins on a consistent basis.  Here’s hoping for a great summer of recruitment 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I wonder how season ticket renewal numbers are doing?
  • Options
    I only come on CL to look at the Air Fryer thread 
    I must admit, after the last few months and the rise in energy prices and cost of living, I’ve lost interest in all things alternative energy for cooking. I just can’t get myself excited about air fryers.  Perhaps that will change 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    I only come on CL to look at the Air Fryer thread 
    I must admit, after the last few months and the rise in energy prices and cost of living, I’ve lost interest in all things alternative energy for cooking. I just can’t get myself excited about air fryers.  Perhaps that will change 

Line up some images of a dirty Tefal, Phillips and Ninja air fryer and you will then know excitement.
  • Options
    I think it’s perfectly natural to feel that way. We’ve had only 1 decent, enjoyable season in the last 10 years, the bulk of that in the 3rd tier. That’s enough to grind anyone down without all the off field bollocks. Plus there have been a number of false hope events that have got you thinking more positively only to lead to nothing, or in some cases worse.

Plus the widespread usage and behaviour changes on social media has made the day to day backdrop away from the actual football much more fractured.

All in, its draining and demoralising. But for most of us it’s ingrained and just hopeful it turns around soon. I’m sure it will, football generally is pretty cyclical. 

The summer break is there for a reset. A decent start to the season, the Covered End singing ole, ole, ole again and everyone will start enjoying it again. 
    Didn’t we have a verse or two towards the end of JJ’s caretaker period? Always a sign that things are looking up. 

It’s supposed to be allez allez allez though isn’t it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Imagine there was no Charlton.

Imagine that the part of you which you have invested in the Club for many, many years was worthless.

Imagine that, when someone says to you "Who do you support?", you shrug and look blank.

Imagine that you had no dreams ... no hopes ... no wishes.

Still fatigued?
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

Imagine that the part of you which you have invested in the Club for many, many years was worthless.

Imagine that, when someone says to you "Who do you support?", you shrug and look blank.

Still fatigued?
    And no religion too
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

Still fatigued?
    And no religion too
    Burn the blasphemer.

The Valley is our church.
  • Options
    I have been going to The Valley since 1963, which for me is 61 years and it's fair to say that I have seen my share of poor Football but also my share of great times as a fan of CAFC. I have always liked having a season ticket, The Lower North isn't the best part of the ground by any means but I sit amongst a great bunch of people, we have a laugh and enjoy the banter during the game.
    But here's the thing. When you sit through mediocrity the only thing that gets you coming in back is the thought that it will get better and yet somehow I don't see how this is going to happen. Like success, failure becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Good managers don't want to be associated with a poison chalice, one where the standard of the players recruited means that at best you just tread water. Good players don't want to be there either and so you are left with the left overs and the players at the fag end of their career looking for a pension top up. What we have missed for two seasons now is a Talisman, that player you look forward to seeing as you walk to the ground, the player who raises the pulse. It was Yann's appearance at the last game that reminded me how much I have missed that sort of player.

I too think TS is genuine but also terribly misguided and seems to be lurching from one direction to another without any real plan of how he is going to achieve his (somewhat lofty) ambitions for the club. I find myself sitting in the stand, distracted, lacking real interest and not bothering to attend if the weather is slightly iffy or I fear another loss. 

This season has been a watershed for me and it would appear quite a few others. Life is getting more expensive and I wonder if the cost of a season ticket (Not that mine, as a senior is that much) is really justifiable. Not so much economically but emotionally. If you can't get excited about the match then what's the point? Personally I think a year off may be what's needed to see if I miss it as much as Mrs. Dave is predicting. If I don't miss it week in week out, then I will attend occasionally but right now I don't see myself renewing. It has become a tedious soap opera of a club and for now enough is enough. Typed with a heavy heart
  • Options
    Being fatigued with Charlton is perfectly natural for this time of year. Our performances have left me feeling drained to the point where I tell myself I’m giving this up. No more season ticket, no more Charlton. But in a few weeks, I’ll be refreshed, would have had a holiday and my optimism of 57 years of supporting Charlton will be back. 
  • Options
    Similar to others I've been fed up towards the end of the season, even with the wins. But during our peak, early JJ time, I was fully enthused. Problem is, the football since has just been so bad. We couldn't defend against anyone decent, scoring felt mostly due to one good ball than any sort of system, half the team felt like they weren't going to be here next season, attacking players seemed wasted too far back, wins didn't mean much as we were in such a bad position. It was hard to know who and what it was that we were supposed to be identifying with. And, what was worse, it shouldn't have been like that this season. This season was supposed to be the one where we turned it on again! But... we have 2 months to turn that around. Whilst I'm still reeling from Jacko's ties with the club being so instantly and completely cut, I can't help thinking that a fresh start is required. Smaller, leaner, fitter squad, playing to a clearly defined offensive style, working hard front and back, built around some flair players like CBT and full on effort players like Dobson and Lavelle... I can easily see the fatigue giving way to hope, maybe even excitement. 
  • Options
    I have been going to The Valley since 1963, which for me is 61 years
    But for everyone else is 59 years  ;)