Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Golf Day 2022

2»

Comments

• Options
    Ronnie Biggs by the sound of the robbery that’s gone on here 
  • Options
    This was a CACT day and not a CAFC day I believe
  • Options
    Random question that's unrelated to the main topic. Just about golf via something I have to work on.

Does anyone know much about SLS manufacturing of a golf clubs head?

Will it be more cost effective? Improve environmental sustainability?

Would it be a positive significant long term investment that may help to reduce the costs of golf clubs that are available to purchase? May help to generate increase revenue?

Google is also my friend on this but interesting for something that may be rather direct and straight to the point
  • Options
    I don't think SLS would give you a quality golf club head. Top irons are forged steel and woods are titanium and carbon fibre. SLS is sintered metal, which is a kind of metal dust which is melted together by lasers. In the old days this was called "monkey metal".  Good for producing a prototype but would not have the strength properties for an actual club head.
  • Options
    StAlf198 said:
    I don't think SLS would give you a quality golf club head. Top irons are forged steel and woods are titanium and carbon fibre. SLS is sintered metal, which is a kind of metal dust which is melted together by lasers. In the old days this was called "monkey metal".  Good for producing a prototype but would not have the strength properties for an actual club head.

Yeh absolutely.

It would probably need quenching and tempering after it has been printed to increase the toughness as it will be brittle.

There must be a way around it. Could just be hollow with loads of foam inside 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    I stand corrected. The trust benefit from the fundraising on the day however this was a Charlton Athletic event.

if I had been able to go I’d have found the winner and shot his horse 😀
  • Options
    Winner was a rather ‘rotund’ bloke from a company called Pacific Cleaning. Apparently well known for producing large stableford scores. There have been some official complaints. My 4 sons played and will probably not play again. 
  • Options
    I played Wildernesse today and a bloke there noticed my Charlton golf towel - said he had been at the CAFC golf day midweek, and the winners score was ridiculous, and should have been rubbed out - apparently Jonathan Fortune played off some nut job handicap and got 54 points, but his score was ignored for the purposes of the comp - he played with Scott Minto and Curbs was in group behind, and Curbs was very vocal about the slow play in front - Minto only uses irons, so his tee shots were much shorter than the rest of his 4 ball !!!
  • Options
    Why would minto use an iron for teeing off?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dave2l said:

He’s crap with woods?
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Worthy causes - are handicap certificates required 😉
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Accuracy.

Tiger Woods did the same at The Open one year. 
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    oooooh. Their next one is being held at StockBrook Manor, where yesterday I mentioned an ex-colleague played under a false name !!
  • Options
    I’ve just clicked that and recognise one of the fella’s at the front of the picture 👀
  • Options
    Talking of bandits my 12 year old grandson became a junior member at Liphook golf club in January and given a starting 25 handicap.  He had been going with his dad to the driving range for a year or so who also got him some pro coaching as he seemed pretty natural. He entered his first junior competition last week and won with 55 points shooting 80 from the mens tees, he hits every shot as straight as an arrow.Think he will get a slight adjustment to his handicap!

Will add the trophy to his football, squash, table tennis and hockey trophies but is now obsessed with golf, spending his whole waking time watching videos and reading books on golf.
  • Options
    Talking of bandits my 12 year old grandson became a junior member at Liphook golf club in January and given a starting 25 handicap.  He had been going with his dad to the driving range for a year or so who also got him some pro coaching as he seemed pretty natural. He entered his first junior competition last week and won with 55 points shooting 80 from the mens tees, he hits every shot as straight as an arrow.Think he will get a slight adjustment to his handicap!

Will add the trophy to his football, squash, table tennis and hockey trophies but is now obsessed with golf, spending his whole waking time watching videos and reading books on golf.
    Played at Liphook on a trip last year. Great course and not easy. Sounds like your grandson will develop into a very good golfer there.