Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dennis Waterman RIP

Comments

• Options
    Great in Minder & they should have finished the series when he left. Gary Webster....really ??? 

Lest said about the domestic violence the  better.

RIP.
  • Options
    One of my boy hood hero’s. Loved him in Minder . 74 was no age . Think he was not a bad footballer either. R.I. P Dennis 
  • Options
    RIP Dennis
    Loved Minder and The Sweeney
  • Options
    Sad news. Formed two great partnerships with Thaw and Cole and great tv shows as a result. Thoroughly enjoyed both growing up. RIP
  • Options
    He'd be up there with my top ten TV characters.
    Sleep well Dennis.
  • Options
    that's sad ... always enjoyed watching him

RIP
  • Options
    RIP. As others haves said brought extra chemistry to his roles
  • Options
    Very sad - Dennis Waterman in Minder is one of those programmes that reminds me of my childhood…

“Write the theme tune, sing the theme tune”…
  • Options
    So sad, loved most of his series. RIP.
  • Options
    Sleep tight, Dennis.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP

Iirc he was a Chelsea fan but his Minder character favoured Fulham.

He played Doolittle in the last revival of My Fair Lady 20 years ago.
  • Options
    Gutted. RIP.
  • Options
    RIP. I loved a lot of his work.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    RIP Dennis

The Sweeney, Minder and New Tricks amongst my favourite shows.
  • Options
    Terrific actor in Minder and the Sweeney. RIP
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Ah man this is sad. I was a bit too young to appreciate him as Terry in Minder but was all over the re-runs on UK gold in both minder and the sweeney. Which brings me to my Dennis Waterman story, me and a good mate had one of those 'is that him' moments at a bar in Gerrard Street, he was drinking with a similar aged male. When his mate left to go to the toilet I seized my chance and went over to do what I'm sure all recognisable people love. "Scuse me mate, are you Dennis Waterman" 

To which he asked me outright and not without a glint in his eye.  "If I say yes, will you and your mate stop staring at us and fuck off" I told him of course we would and he shook my hand and slapped me manly on the clavicle and I slid away 
    Good story that Carter
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    another part of my childhood gone, loved Minder and the Sweeney

RIP Dennis
  • Options
    Very sad news RIP Dennis. Ironically I've recently started watching all the Minders again - all those channels available yet for me still one of the best and most enjoyable things on TV. I also like seeing 80's London which was an exciting time growing up. There's an excellent then and now filming locations section on the Minder.org website.

Waterman had some tough times. After conquering UK television he had an opportunity in America and ended up losing a lot of his own money. This was tough for him to take after working almost continuously since he was a child. He didn't deserve that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Been watching the Minder re-runs on ITV4 recently, which are still some of the best shows on TV. They’ve only just got onto the ones where Gary Webster took over, which were never as good. Had to wait for the repeats of The Sweeney to be allowed to watch that, but two of the most iconic British TV series and always watching again.

As a younger man when the show was at its peak and a long time after, whenever I had to give my name, the immediate response was always “What? Like Minder??” I only had to get as far as Terry McCa… 

Rest in Peace Dennis.
  • Options
    Loved Minder and the Sweeney. Up the Junction also. 

Bought this single a few years back. B side had the song "Nothing at all" on it. Not a bad song either.

I could be so good for you. Not sure what market this was filmed at? video is so bad its good.. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRR-x9JZ_Oo

• Options
    RIP Dennis - I’m sure I saw him play in the Three Rabbits Romford Rd with the group Sprinkler way back in the 70’s.
  • Options
    Sad sad...
    RIP Dennis
    brings back Streatham flat sharing memories of me flashing my bus pass card at my mate Bob calling out: 'Sweeney'...
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    Very sad news RIP Dennis. Ironically I've recently started watching all the Minders again - all those channels available yet for me still one of the best and most enjoyable things on TV. I also like seeing 80's London which was an exciting time growing up. There's an excellent then and now filming locations section on the Minder.org website.

Waterman had some tough times. After conquering UK television he had an opportunity in America and ended up losing a lot of his own money. This was tough for him to take after working almost continuously since he was a child. He didn't deserve that.
    Didn’t know about the American venture - what was it, and what went wrong ?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Richard J said:
    RIP

Iirc he was a Chelsea fan but his Minder character favoured Fulham.

He played Doolittle in the last revival of My Fair Lady 20 years ago.
    Character was a Fulham fan yes but do recall an episode he went to a Chelsea game with his mates as Fulham were away that day.

Absolutely brilliant in Minder, often enjoy watching re-runs how life was in the 70's and 80's. RIP
  • Options
    Loved Minder and the Sweeney. Up the Junction also. 

Bought this single a few years back. B side had the song "Nothing at all" on it. Not a bad song either.

I could be so good for you. Not sure what market this was filmed at? video is so bad its good.. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRR-x9JZ_Oo

Church street market, Lisson Grove apparently 
  • Options
    RIP George Carter, Terry McCann and Gerry Standing. All similar charaters but so well played.
  • Options
    Ferryman said:

Didn’t know about the American venture - what was it, and what went wrong ?
    A film, either flopped or not finished.
  • Options
    loved each & every character he played,but my fav is defo Terry
    RIP Dennis