Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RETAINED LIST | Club trigger one-year extension on Forster-Caskey, Innis, Davison, Harness

Comments

• Options
    Hope we do re-sign Purrington, gives us a good option when we need to play a flat back 4. Should also save us money considering how many other positions we need to strengthen. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Good to see Matthews gone.

Don’t agree with keeping Inniss. The fact that his community work gets mentioned so often shows his availability doesn’t justify a new contract.

I can still see Davison going, as with Fosu we might be hoping to get a small compensation fee for him.

Great to know Dobson as well as CBT and AMBA has an optional year which we can activate.

Commented on Washington on his thread - signs that we’ll move back to 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1?
    I’m staggered we are losing Washington and keeping Purrington 
  • Options
    razil said:
    Interesting timing the day after early bird deadline.

was Washington the one who spread the new manager ‘rumour’?
    Sorry, what have I missed?
  • Options
    Fair enough. The big clear out most people wanted.

All I would say is I hope TS and Gallen have got a large number of quality replacements lined up because this squad is now paper thin.
    Hoping they've got a few strikers lined up because Aneke can't do 46 games (the number Stewart did for Sunderland & I think Stockton only missed 1 all season) and I'm expecting Davison to leave - otherwise we really are in deep do-do. 

Happy Innis is staying as he is always a threat at set pieces AND is a decent CH too.  

Not so happy about JFC. Living off past glories & I expect we only signed him because we spent ££££ on him whilst he was recovering all last season. 
  • Options
    felix_31 said:
    Surprised about Washington,  but did not score enough goals for a striker 
    Yes he did 

2 seasons here, 11 league goals in each 

36 (11) 

35 (11) 

Equates to roughly 1 in 3.  I'd have at least offered him a one-year deal, ideally two.  Why not? 

Wont get you promoted & are stats for your 3rd or even 4th choice striker. 
  • Options
    I'm sorry to see Washington go.

22 goals in 71 appearances isn't bad - especially whilst playing in front of a very average mid field in a struggling team.  He at least kept the opposition defences occupied with his speed and runs into space.
    Remember he played a good number at left wing in a 4-3-3 too.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Washington is a mistake.  Now we need a very, very good window, otherwise we are only fit for sutcliffe park 5 a sides.

Powder dry until I see the who, the what and the when of who comes in.  Hopefully a bunch of them have their pens ready to sign already
  • Options
    Fair enough. The big clear out most people wanted.

All I would say is I hope TS and Gallen have got a large number of quality replacements lined up because this squad is now paper thin.
    Hoping they've got a few strikers lined up because Aneke can't do 46 games (the number Stewart did for Sunderland & I think Stockton only missed 1 all season) and I'm expecting Davison to leave - otherwise we really are in deep do-do. 

Happy Innis is staying as he is always a threat at set pieces AND is a decent CH too.  

Not so happy about JFC. Living off past glories & I expect we only signed him because we spent ££££ on him whilst he was recovering all last season. 
    Fun fact... Did you know that Jake has played more minutes and games (League) for us in the last two seasons combined, than Ryan...

Jake Forster-Caskey: 38-games | 2,806-minutes
    Ryan Inniss: 28-games | 2,084-minutes
  • Options
    So we need to sign at least two forwards and possibly even three as Aneke can't start and Davison is unlikely to either unless Stockley is injured. Or have I got that wrong?
    We will need another striker when Stockley goes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Scoham said:
    Good to see Matthews gone.

Don’t agree with keeping Inniss. The fact that his community work gets mentioned so often shows his availability doesn’t justify a new contract.

I can still see Davison going, as with Fosu we might be hoping to get a small compensation fee for him.

Great to know Dobson as well as CBT and AMBA has an optional year which we can activate.

Commented on Washington on his thread - signs that we’ll move back to 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1?
    I’m staggered we are losing Washington and keeping Purrington 
     Could be we offered both a contract and one turned it down. Conor was OK last season, but I'd hate to think we'd pay over the odds to keep him. Purrington hasn't agreed yet, which suggests pay cut, or at least no increase.
  • Options
    So we need to sign at least two forwards and possibly even three as Aneke can't start and Davison is unlikely to either unless Stockley is injured. Or have I got that wrong?
    Depends on the formation we’re planning on playing 
    It does but we can't start games with one goalscorer - as I say Aneke doesn't start so that leaves just Stockley. In fact, apart from those two, I do not believe that we have anyone left on our books who scored more than twice for us last season!
    Ah I completely agree. But if we are looking at a 433 or 4231 then we won't sign more than one more striker. 
  • Options
    It does but we can't start games with one goalscorer - as I say Aneke doesn't start so that leaves just Stockley. In fact, apart from those two, I do not believe that we have anyone left on our books who scored more than twice for us last season!
    That is such a sad stat. I can now see why they are trying to get Purrington to re-sign as he scored 3. 
  • Options
    No talk or mention on Morgan?

I’ve never felt that he will eventually come good, inconsistent like the rest, feel he’s been given a fair few opportunities and for me, hasn’t taken them.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Ah I completely agree. But if we are looking at a 433 or 4231 then we won't sign more than one more striker. 
    Then we will get relegated unless that player can get 20+ next season. 
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    When? Do we know he’s definitely going?
  • Options
    felix_31 said:
    Surprised about Washington,  but did not score enough goals for a striker 
    Yes he did 

2 seasons here, 11 league goals in each 

36 (11) 

35 (11) 

Equates to roughly 1 in 3.  I'd have at least offered him a one-year deal, ideally two.  Why not? 

11 goals a year as a penalty taker is not good enough for a team with promotion ambitions.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    redbuttle said:
    When? Do we know he’s definitely going?
    Rumours at the moment...
  • Options
    Can’t really judge until we see the incomings as well. No massive surprises given our overall performance last season. 

But it has to be remembered the players themselves  will have preferences on staying or going. Not all these outcomes will be decided by the club alone / without knowing what the player also thinks. 

Washington moving on may also partially reflect how he handled / his role in the JJ rumour (but may not). 
  • Options

I’ve never felt that he will eventually come good, inconsistent like the rest, feel he’s been given a fair few opportunities and for me, hasn’t taken them.
    Still contracted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Happy with who has been let go, just disappointed that Innis and Purrington (potentially) have been retained, we should have got rid of both of them IMO. 

I’m sure Davison has been kept on so we can sell for a fee.

Pleased for JFC, in his brief appearances this year, he looked a better player than most. 

Now to sign a few players on…
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Still contracted.
    Ah, ok. Thanks, wonder if the club would listen to offers?
  • Options
    Aneke, Forster Caskey and Innis, if that is the spine of the team then we are in trouble, they probably won't make 46 games between them. 
  • Options
    Happy with JFC, I wonder how happy he is with it!
    He can't really be expecting a contract extension after a year out. He has another season to prove he is completely over his injury and get back to his best - he didn't get close in the few games he did play at the end.
  • Options
    Would have kept Washington, would have released Inniss
  • Options
    Interesting, that Matthews and Washington were regulars at the end of the season, but not retained, whereas we've offered Innis a contract and are negotiating with Purrington, who hardly played in the last month.

I still find it confusing that someone can be making such decisions, when we have no manager.
  • Options

22 goals in 71 appearances isn't bad - especially whilst playing in front of a very average mid field in a struggling team.  He at least kept the opposition defences occupied with his speed and runs into space.
    Just over 3.20 per game. As you say in an average team. Our management are mad as
    that isnot the sum total of Washington’s contributions either.  
    I actually liked Washington's workmate and he made decent runs off the ball however he isn't a natural finisher and 3.20 per game ratio isn't good enough for a 2nd striker in a team with promotion ambitions.
    Not sure we will see Davison he will either be sold for a small fee or if he doesn't have a decent pre season will go back out on loan. So two strikers needed.
  • Options
    Clarky said:

Just over 3.20 per game. As you say in an average team. Our management are mad as
    that isnot the sum total of Washington’s contributions either.  
    I actually liked Washington's workmate and he made decent runs off the ball however he isn't a natural finisher and 3.20 per game ratio isn't good enough for a 2nd striker in a team with promotion ambitions.
    Not sure we will see Davison he will either be sold for a small fee or if he doesn't have a decent pre season will go back out on loan. So two strikers needed.
    You mean as opposed to Ladapo, Eisa, Parrot, Jephcott or Hanlan? Will Keane has never scored as many goals as Washington but finally got some decent service and was prolific. 
  • Options
    Interesting, that Matthews and Washington were regulars at the end of the season, but not retained, whereas we've offered Innis a contract and are negotiating with Purrington, who hardly played in the last month.

I still find it confusing that someone can be making such decisions, when we have no manager.
    I think the change in formation (if we go back to 433) is a factor. Purrington had no place under Jackson, he wasn't a LCB or a LWB, but as one of two left-backs he is fine.