Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RETAINED LIST | Club trigger one-year extension on Forster-Caskey, Innis, Davison, Harness

Comments

• Options
    would have liked to keep Matthews and to have not renewed Inniss' contract .. I hope that someone better than Washington is lined up, surprised that he's gone before the new manager assesses him 
  • Options
    We’ve let enough go to have a promotion season if we make the right signings. Hopefully TS was under promising when he said 2-5 permanents and 5/6 loans, we definitely need closer to 10+ in total rather than a couple of permanents and 5/6 loans.

On the other hand this could be the Sandgaard edition of 2015/16 - an exciting summer with various little known young players brought in on long term contracts which went horribly wrong.

I hope they know what they’re doing and we bring in genuine quality across the team. Players who are ready to fight for promotion rather than ones with longer term potential.

My concern is we focus too much on trying to find undervalued players to develop through coaching that we end up with a team that doesn’t properly compete. Davison is not what we need but hopefully we’re just after a fee.

With Washington I saw Auden O’Brien mentioned as a possible replacement, apparently a similar player - but sometimes you’re better off sticking with the player you know, someone settled at the club, even if they cost slightly more.

An interesting and busy summer ahead. This time next year I hope we don’t need such a big rebuild.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    paulfox said:
    If Swindon get promoted, I’d be surprised if Davison isn’t with them on a permanent next season, with a little cash in our coffers.
    Then he’d be a young striker who just scored 1 in 2 for the season in a promoted side.  That’s something we should be looking at.

Many of our fan base has written him off already, seems trigger happy to me.  
    He had that one absolute stinker, but otherwise he played ok last season.  To me, he looks like he's carrying too much muscle and had lost some mobility, but I think he will have a career in league one.  He impresses me more than Smith or Pigott did in their early careers and they have both done well, relative to their ability. 
    Pretty much my thoughts also.

He’s good at pressing which is quite suited to the modern game, I honestly think there’s room for him, you know full well if we release him he’d turn up in our league at some point and score loads of goals.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    How many do we need?

I think Davison out and Fraser in kept us at the squad cap limit.  Am I right in thinking that that is reduced by 1 for next season?

4 players from last years squad didn't count and ignore the keepers.

6 released, 3 loans add Morgan back in and take the 1 off, that's 7 spaces.  Isn't it?  That doesn't include Kirk.

So unless anyone else leaves, the squad cap is abolished, or we sign under age players we can only bring in 6.

We seriously need to get all of them perfect, not a lot of margin for error.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    How many do we need?

I think Davison out and Fraser in kept us at the squad cap limit.  Am I right in thinking that that is reduced by 1 for next season?

6 released, 3 loans add Morgan back in and take the 1 off, that's 7 spaces.  Isn't it?  That doesn't include Kirk.

So unless anyone else leaves, the squad cap is abolished, or we sign under age players we can only bring in 6.

I thought the Squad Cap remained at 20 going forward now. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    How many do we need?

Looking as things stand,

At least 3 full backs.
    1 centre back
    1 winger 
    1 striker 

And this is without knowing the formation, so numbers I’d say at least 6.  Preferably 8.

First Team

Goalkeepers
    Craig MacGillivray 2023
    Ashley Maynard-Brewer 2023 
    Nathan Harness 2023

Right sided defenders

Left sided defenders

Centre Backs
    Deji Elerewe 2024
    Sam Lavelle 2024
    Ryan Innis 2023

Central Midfielders 
    George Dobson 2023
    Sean Clare 2023
    Scott Fraser 2025
    Alex Gilbey 2023
    Albie Morgan 2023
    Jake Forster-Caskey 2023

Wingers 
    Corey Blackett-Taylor 2023
    Diallang Jaiyesimi 2024
    Charlie Kirk 2025

Strikers
    Chuks Aneke 2025
    Jayden Stockley 2024
    Josh Davison 2023

• Options
    edited May 2022
    There are mixed opinions about Davison.
    I don’t see him as a premiership signing ever, but beyond natural frustration when he misses a chance I think he is alright.
    From seeing him since he joined us late in life you can see genuine improvement at Charlton. This is credit to the club.
    He is a willing outlet, prepared to take the batterings a front man often gets, easily as much a trier as the estimable Washington, can finish as well as miss, and in a way I think greater nous and experience might make him better still.
    If Davison does go, it would be with my best wishes, but I am not unhappy he is retained.
    Who knows if he had been here when Stockley and Washington were out we might have got some more points, and Jacko might still be in situ. Looking back it would’ve been better with Davison than Burstow during that injury ravaged spell.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    How many do we need?

It was 22 last season, was ment to be 20 going forward.  Won't be confirmed until the EFL AGM in June!

What ever it is we don't have much wiggle room as it stands, do we?
  • Options
    Can't wait for the meltdown on here come July 30th when we've signed diddly squat & relying on youth & loanees.....AGAIN. 

Really can't see Sandgaard spending the money needed to replace 12 or so players......especially when he said we would only be signing 2 or 3 key ones.  

If that proves to be the case, he will lose twice what he should have spent over the next 12 months and that much again in the reduced value of his investment in the club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And keeping Pearce would have been prudent. He is super fit for his age and still quick and in quite a few games last season he was arguably man of the match.

Strange choice that one..Inniss and Pearce could get into any team in this division and even a good few Championship sides.
    Genuinely one of the funniest things I have read on here.
  • Options
    If these decisions have been taken without any input from the new manager (whoever that may be), we are in BIG trouble for next year. 
  • Options
    If these decisions have been taken without any input from the new manager (whoever that may be), we are in BIG trouble for next year. 
    Why would that be? The only real debate here is on 2 players where some believe we let the wrong one go. Its universally agreed that the others let go are the right decisions. Agree that who we bring in needs the incoming managers agreement but not really on those released.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    How many do we need?

It was 22 last season, was ment to be 20 going forward.  Won't be confirmed until the EFL AGM in June!

Including Kirk, Davison and Purrington we'd have 15 players. I was under the impression it was going to be 21 for season 22/23 and then 20 from 23/24 onwards but could be wrong. 
  • Options
    Why would that be? The only real debate here is on 2 players where some believe we let the wrong one go. Its universally agreed that the others let go are the right decisions. Agree that who we bring in needs the incoming managers agreement but not really on those released.
    Because this suggests the decisions are being made by TS and his team for non-footballing reasons, or suggests he will interfere with footballing decisions next season. A new manager will have his own ideas about what sort of players and how we play, so why make these decisions without the new manager deciding who he thinks he needs for his style of play. A new manager may well want to get rid of them all (I probably would - apart from Washington), but surely they should have waited and let the new guy have some input? 
  • Options
    Just for fair balance I know Fleetwood are trying to sign someone I know and they don’t have a manager in place at the moment. We aren’t the only team doing this. 

• Options
    Just for fair balance I know Fleetwood are trying to sign someone I know and they don’t have a manager in place at the moment. We aren’t the only team doing this. 

I agree that clubs do this, but it still seems odd to me signing players who a new manager may not like. Surely that's a waste of money that would be better used recruiting players that a new manager wants and who fit with his style of play?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    How many do we need?

Including Kirk, Davison and Purrington we'd have 15 players. I was under the impression it was going to be 21 for season 22/23 and then 20 from 23/24 onwards but could be wrong. 
    So it's 5 or 6 as it stands. 

We need 5 or 6, at least, to have a decent team, let alone squad.  
  • Options

I agree that clubs do this, but it still seems odd to me signing players who a new manager may not like. Surely that's a waste of money that would be better used recruiting players that a new manager wants and who fit with his style of play?
    Unless the plan is to establish a style of play and then sign players and hire a manager that suits it. That's what Southampton do, they make sure that the manager that comes in wants to work in a style that is consistent with the club's playing philosophy, so although they may find their signings aren't as good as they hoped they're never the wrong fit in terms of shape and strategy. If we're focusing on a high pressing team, maybe in a certain formation, then we get in a high pressing manager and a load of very fit, quick, pressing footballers then unless the manager doesn't like a player's haircut there's unlikely to be a huge number of complaints.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    How many do we need?

So it's 5 or 6 as it stands. 

We need 5 or 6, at least, to have a decent team, let alone squad.  
    Definitely. 5/6 can sort out the defence and strikeforce, but would then leave the midfield short. 

I have to admit, I'm expecting at least two to depart (probably Kirk and Davison). We'll probably need 1/2 U21 loans too. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    felix_31 said:
    Surprised about Washington,  but did not score enough goals for a striker 
    Yes he did 

2 seasons here, 11 league goals in each 

36 (11) 

35 (11) 

Equates to roughly 1 in 3.  I'd have at least offered him a one-year deal, ideally two.  Why not? 

Wont get you promoted & are stats for your 3rd or even 4th choice striker. 
    Which is exactly what he would've been.

Remember we will now be able to make 5 subs, so if we assume that Stockley and a new striker would be expected to start, then i don't think many league one sides would have better than Aneke and Washington coming off the bench after 55-60 minutes.

It's one i think we might regret, but we can't say for sure until we see who we bring in. 
    He probably wouldn't want to stay to be 3d or 4th choice though.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I'm still confused by all this uproar. Literally everyone wanted a Summer clear out now we have one hysteria breaks out 😳😳
    Uproar is probably stretching the truth a bit as from i can't tell there is only a debate over 2 players.

Inniss we've kept and a lot think we shouldn't. Washington we got rid and a lot think we should've kept him as backup.
    TBF there are plenty of wildly OTT comments on the Washington thread, this thread, and on twitter.
  • Options
    We are just a weird club. You couldn't make it up at times, unless it is.....

- Innis's red card was a sign of a player that's just been told he's not here next season many said. 
    - Washington ends up being the guy spreading a bad vibe around the place. But when he plays, is one of few who gives 100% to the cause. 

• Options
    In an ideal world we'll try and find some decent U21 players that have been doing well in League Two, or have finished in the very few places below us in League One this season - Need to look at players who in the future can be sold on for a lot more than what we sign them for.

Its a shame that we're so prepared to give up on Kirk (Be shocked if he's here when the window closes) for that reason.

I mean Blackpool are clearly showing their hand, that clubs higher than League One are impressed with Kirk's potential - Why dont we get Charlie back for pre-season, look at his videos for Crewe, find out what worked (the overlapping Full-Back perhaps), and then try bloody harder with him, rather than give up six months down the line every time.

Then again the Squad cap equally doesnt help, as clubs cant afford to have passengers anymore.
  • Options

Unless the plan is to establish a style of play and then sign players and hire a manager that suits it. That's what Southampton do, they make sure that the manager that comes in wants to work in a style that is consistent with the club's playing philosophy, so although they may find their signings aren't as good as they hoped they're never the wrong fit in terms of shape and strategy. If we're focusing on a high pressing team, maybe in a certain formation, then we get in a high pressing manager and a load of very fit, quick, pressing footballers then unless the manager doesn't like a player's haircut there's unlikely to be a huge number of complaints.
    Washington was the best (only?) player in our squad who was capable of playing a high press!
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    AndyG said:
    I'm still confused by all this uproar. Literally everyone wanted a Summer clear out now we have one hysteria breaks out 😳😳
    Uproar is probably stretching the truth a bit as from i can't tell there is only a debate over 2 players.

Inniss we've kept and a lot think we shouldn't. Washington we got rid and a lot think we should've kept him as backup.
    TBF there are plenty of wildly OTT comments on the Washington thread, this thread, and on twitter.
    I'm not devastated to see Washington go, but neither do I have any faith in the recruitment team that we will sign anyone any better.  Much like my thoughts on Jacko going.  
  • Options
    To be fair... Washington could have played like Messi at times, and I was a big fan of his.

But if he was a big reason behind unrest in the dressing room then he had to go - We need chemistry amongst a squad.

I've heard of one Manager (Might have been Wagner @ Huddersfield) who went into a club, and told the players to write down the names of those who they thought were disruptive in the dressing room - Was all kept confidential so the players didnt feel uncomfortable, but the handful that were listed, quietly got moved on to other clubs.

Feel we need to do similar.
  • Options
    If we put down what we have now, our 11 in a 433 looks like:

MacG (AMB)

Clare, Inniss (Elewere), Lavelle, Purrington (assuming he stays- he's unlikely to have better offers)

Fraser (Gilbey), Dobson, Forster Caskey (Morgan)

DJ, Stockley (Aneke/Davison), CBT (Kirk).

We need 2 central defenders, given Inniss' injury record, Elewere's lack of experience, 2 full backs that can attack, another central midfielder and I would say at least two more forward/wide options.

I don't think we can play this system with Stockley up front either; I would rather we modified the 352 or played a diamond.  

• Options
    In an ideal world we'll try and find some decent U21 players that have been doing well in League Two, or have finished in the very few places below us in League One this season - Need to look at players who in the future can be sold on for a lot more than what we sign them for.

Its a shame that we're so prepared to give up on Kirk (Be shocked if he's here when the window closes) for that reason.

I mean Blackpool are clearly showing their hand, that clubs higher than League One are impressed with Kirk's potential - Why dont we get Charlie back for pre-season, look at his videos for Crewe, find out what worked (the overlapping Full-Back perhaps), and then try bloody harder with him, rather than give up six months down the line every time.

Then again the Squad cap equally doesnt help, as clubs cant afford to have passengers anymore.
    I think Sandgaard might well be a fan of the 352 but could be wrong. I don't think we can play 433/4231, in fact with Stockley I think we have to play 2 up top. It leaves the 352 or the diamond. Neither of which will suit Kirk. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    If we put down what we have now, our 11 in a 433 looks like:

MacG (AMB)

Clare, Inniss (Elewere), Lavelle, Purrington (assuming he stays- he's unlikely to have better offers)

Fraser (Gilbey), Dobson, Forster Caskey (Morgan)

DJ, Stockley (Aneke/Davison), CBT (Kirk).

We need 2 central defenders, given Inniss' injury record, Elewere's lack of experience, 2 full backs that can attack, another central midfielder and I would say at least two more forward/wide options.

I don't think we can play this system with Stockley up front either; I would rather we modified the 352 or played a diamond.  

Diamond means we can't play any of our 3 wingers though. It's basically a question of whether Stockley is good enough to build pretty much a whole new team around.