Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAST survey results - Confidence in Thomas Sandgaard declines

Comments

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    The most obvious result in the survey (but will ignored by many) is the 4% who show a genuine interest in the womans team. We are a 3rd division club and yet we have gone full time with a womans team who get average gates in the low hundreds. The only a game at The Valley with a lot of advertising and get a gate of 700.

We should have a womans team but its bonkers we have a full time one.

Will the trust be talking to the club about this?
    Don't we play in the second tier? (Championship)

Are you OK with them being pro if so? 
    We are 3rd tier
    Ah... I was referring to the Women's team being 2nd tier, which makes it appropriate for them to be pro, as far as I can tell

I now get your point about a men's third tier team supporting the cost of a 2nd tier Women's team...

I see it as a smart investment in a fast growing area of sport which will attract more fans for Charlton Athletic in general...

It seems like an obscure thing to be focusing on in the context of all that is going on to me. Is this something you have been focusing on a lot? Do you get much support with it?

Out of interest, how much does the Women's team cost Sangaard? 

The trust ask a handful of questions and this was the biggest negative they got. How is that obscure in the context of what the thread is about?
    I see very little connection between only 4% of trust members having a keen interest in the women's team and a "declining confidence in Sangaard" 

It's no real surprise that not many supporters of the men's team are interested in the women's and I don't see that lack of interest as a reason for the support to be discontinued or for there to be any negative perception of the owner for providing it. As I say,  it seems like like smart investment to me.

And...yeah... this still feels like an obscure line to take in the context of the subject title...
    There's not a causal link between the lack of interest in the women's team and the decline in confidence in Sandgaard, but there is a link in the sense that they are both issues that have been demonstrated in the results of this CAST survey. I've modified the title to make it clear that this thread is discussing the results of the CAST survey in its entirety, not just the decline in confidence in Sandgaard.
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Well, I guess the alternative is a great thing for some - no Charlton Athletic at all - because ‘shit for brains’ that is what was stampeding over the hill

Over and out 
    Declining confidence isn’t the same as saying we don’t want him and aren’t grateful for what he did, so maybe hold fire with the playground insults. 
    Playground insults !!!

It was reality - we were going down the pan - bust - gone - end of

Ridiculous comment 
    You still don’t get it. Over and out. 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    The most obvious result in the survey (but will ignored by many) is the 4% who show a genuine interest in the womans team. We are a 3rd division club and yet we have gone full time with a womans team who get average gates in the low hundreds. The only a game at The Valley with a lot of advertising and get a gate of 700.

We are 3rd tier
    Ah... I was referring to the Women's team being 2nd tier, which makes it appropriate for them to be pro, as far as I can tell

I now get your point about a men's third tier team supporting the cost of a 2nd tier Women's team...

I see it as a smart investment in a fast growing area of sport which will attract more fans for Charlton Athletic in general...

It seems like an obscure thing to be focusing on in the context of all that is going on to me. Is this something you have been focusing on a lot? Do you get much support with it?

The trust ask a handful of questions and this was the biggest negative they got. How is that obscure in the context of what the thread is about?
    I see very little connection between only 4% of trust members having a keen interest in the women's team and a "declining confidence in Sangaard" 

It's no real surprise that not many supporters of the men's team are interested in the women's and I don't see that lack of interest as a reason for the support to be discontinued or for there to be any negative perception of the owner for providing it. As I say,  it seems like like smart investment to me.

And...yeah... this still feels like an obscure line to take in the context of the subject title...
    There's not a causal link between the lack of interest in the women's team and the decline in confidence in Sandgaard, but there is a link in the sense that they are both issues that have been demonstrated in the results of this CAST survey. I've modified the title to make it clear that this thread is discussing the results of the CAST survey in its entirety, not just the decline in confidence in Sandgaard.
    Ha! Well that certainly changes things and makes the comment no longer obscure in the context of the title
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Croydon said:
    Well, I guess the alternative is a great thing for some - no Charlton Athletic at all - because ‘shit for brains’ that is what was stampeding over the hill

Over and out 
    Less than 5 ccomments in. Fuck 
    Honestly - some of you need to get in a Delorean and go back to to 1980’s when Charlton really nearly did disappear forever ……..
    It didn't this time though did it?  Who knows what might have happened.

You can not say, with 100% certainty, we would not exist without Sandgaard.  Because you don't know its true.  We might not but its not a fact.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't be grateful for the money he is gifting us.  It also doesn't mean he is beyond criticism for somethings.  Not everything but somethings.
    Exactly. Not everything has to be binary these days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jonniesta said:
    Most supporters are only concerned about the standard of football they are watching and are not overly bothered by what's going on off the pitch.
    The standard of football we have witnessed since Sandgaard took over has in the main been very very poor.
    If he gets it right this summer with appointing the right manager and bringing in the right players people's confidence will rise. 
    If he gets it wrong and next season is as bad as the last then fan's will continue to question his ability to deliver what he promised. 
    He promised??? Where did he promise anything? He set a vision and objective. To date the performances on the pitch haven't matched it. He has taken action on that by removing the manager he thought would deliver, but didn't, and the manager he didn't think would deliver, and didn't. He has done this because of the standard of football. We're not entitled to get promoted, it needs the right balance of team and manager clicking. If it takes longer than he intended, so be it. The fact is we're stable, we can give it a crack each season. Some will be good, some will be bad. We have a right to criticise, but can we just act like reasonable adult fans rather than entitled kids, whining because of one bad season? 
    No, let's over analyse every aspect of the club... we need to blame someone. Let's blame Thomas, he plays a guitar. Let's blame Martin, he appears to have got this job because his dad thinks inputting 8m a year into the club means he's allowed a bit of time to run it the way he wants. 
    Here's an idea, if you (not you specifically, Blackpool, your post is measured and it's only your word 'promised' that's set me off) don't like the direction, take the time to write to TS and explain what you think is the right strategic direction for the club. He has always responded to fans, in person and on social media. Explain what you think an independent CEO might add, for example, set out your guaranteed strategy for promotion, but FFS get a grip. Forgetting the 'saving the club' for a bit, the guy has tried to come in, spend his money, contribute his time and support to every single element of the club. He's entitled to a view of the high press, and even whatever the low block is. He's entitled to let average League One strikers leave. He's clearly not happy with the football and he's taken action. Just give the guy a chance ffs. 
    Possibly the most patronising post I've seen in the defence of Sandgaard. 
    Calm down dear 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

We need to live somewhere within our means. How many of the other 3rd tier clubs have a full time womans team?

How many of the other 23 3rd tier clubs lose at least £8m a year have a full time womans team.

How many games have supporters have paid full price  for this season for the Woman?

I watch fair amount of womans football, but there has to be some realism with this.
    Maybe it’s a more viable business? With Tv money going into the top flight and relatively low outgoings, I assume TS sees it as a potentially good investment. I wouldn’t assume that the money he invests in the women’s team would go to the men’s team otherwise. From a financial perspective, maybe he sees them as completely independent.
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    Most supporters are only concerned about the standard of football they are watching and are not overly bothered by what's going on off the pitch.
    The standard of football we have witnessed since Sandgaard took over has in the main been very very poor.
    If he gets it right this summer with appointing the right manager and bringing in the right players people's confidence will rise. 
    If he gets it wrong and next season is as bad as the last then fan's will continue to question his ability to deliver what he promised. 
    He promised??? Where did he promise anything? He set a vision and objective. To date the performances on the pitch haven't matched it. He has taken action on that by removing the manager he thought would deliver, but didn't, and the manager he didn't think would deliver, and didn't. He has done this because of the standard of football. We're not entitled to get promoted, it needs the right balance of team and manager clicking. If it takes longer than he intended, so be it. The fact is we're stable, we can give it a crack each season. Some will be good, some will be bad. We have a right to criticise, but can we just act like reasonable adult fans rather than entitled kids, whining because of one bad season? 
    No, let's over analyse every aspect of the club... we need to blame someone. Let's blame Thomas, he plays a guitar. Let's blame Martin, he appears to have got this job because his dad thinks inputting 8m a year into the club means he's allowed a bit of time to run it the way he wants. 
    Here's an idea, if you (not you specifically, Blackpool, your post is measured and it's only your word 'promised' that's set me off) don't like the direction, take the time to write to TS and explain what you think is the right strategic direction for the club. He has always responded to fans, in person and on social media. Explain what you think an independent CEO might add, for example, set out your guaranteed strategy for promotion, but FFS get a grip. Forgetting the 'saving the club' for a bit, the guy has tried to come in, spend his money, contribute his time and support to every single element of the club. He's entitled to a view of the high press, and even whatever the low block is. He's entitled to let average League One strikers leave. He's clearly not happy with the football and he's taken action. Just give the guy a chance ffs. 
    Calm down dear 
    Patronising is merited when people act like children, darling. 
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Calm down dear 
    Patronising is merited when people act like children, darling. 
    Can't take anyone who calls Jonny Williams 'Jonniesta' seriously 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    I freely admit to being one of those losing confidence in general, but the women's team is certainly not a reason for that. 

Sandgaard has made mistakes for sure but he's also got some things right, it's possible to acknowledge both. My own personal concerns are that from my personal perspective the mistakes are/will cost us more than the good decisions gain. 

Yes, he did save the club when he came in. But saved then is not the same as safe forever. 

This 100 percent 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @addick1956 You can go back and edit your posts if you made a typo, as long as it's less than 24 hours since the original post,  rather than posting again to make a correction.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

We are 3rd tier

Ha! Well that certainly changes things and makes the comment no longer obscure in the context of the title
    That's why I commented to explain why I'd changed the title rather than just going ahead and updating it like I normally do, as otherwise there was a chance you'd get people quibbling about your comment.
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    I agree with all of that but is it correct to say that he has ‘come in and spent his money’ - I thought I read somewhere that what he has spent is actually classified in the club accounts as a ‘loan’ - in other words that he is growing club debt rather than making cash gifts? If so, that represents less of a personal contribution than is being suggested. I’m happy to be corrected on this if I am misunderstanding the financial situation as, in the worst case scenario, TS is simply building debt in the way that Roland did.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Jonniesta said:
    I agree with all of that but is it correct to say that he has ‘come in and spent his money’ - I thought I read somewhere that what he has spent is actually classified in the club accounts as a ‘loan’ - in other words that he is growing club debt rather than making cash gifts? If so, that represents less of a personal contribution than is being suggested. I’m happy to be corrected on this if I am misunderstanding the financial situation as, in the worst case scenario, TS is simply building debt in the way that Roland did.
    Has Roland got his back ?
    How will TS get his back ?
    It’s affectively a gift because they’re not gonna get it all back in reality and the money that has been spent will be losing value over time with inflation and what could be earned anywhere else etc 
  • Options
    Don’t like Jonniesta’s post much. Saving the club from the chancers gives credit, It doesn’t absolve from critique with mistakes about running the club. 

TS can get maximum bang for his buck with getting advice from solid Charlton people like Cubs & Varney & host of proven good characters to avoid rookie football club errors but has not shown any apparent interest in that. increasing club debt with loans is a worry. This is a big next few months for TS with manager choice & transfer window. 
  • Options
    A Twitter poll backing up the thread title, currently 71% have said no to being confident in the Sandgaards running the club. Over 240 responses so far.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Scoham said:
    A Twitter poll backing up the thread title, currently 71% have said no to being confident in the Sandgaards running the club. Over 240 responses so far.
    This Lee Fender fella has it in for TS, though he didn’t mind taking praise from TS when he was buying fans tickets from Australia. 
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    Scoham said:
    This Lee Fender fella has it in for TS, though he didn’t mind taking praise from TS when he was buying fans tickets from Australia. 
    Yeah he might not be the most impartial of voices (this is just a selection of this months insights)…

• Options
    RedRobin said:
    Scoham said:
    Tweeted to the #cafc hastag though, so it's out there for everyone not just his followers who agree with him.