Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Well Done Jake Daniels

Comments

• Options
    Hard to say whether this story being splashed all over BBC and Sky is what the player would have wanted?
  • Options
    Hard to say whether this story being splashed all over BBC and Sky is what the player would have wanted?
    Possibly, it really could be interpreted either way - a lot of attention on a teenage boy who really doesn't need that kind of scrutiny, or maybe it's the first step to something new and more will be inspired by his courage. 
  • Options
    Surely would have been advised that this was likely before the club announced it. You'd hope so anyway.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Steve Davies has been getting on with it at Somerset for a good ten years since he came out. Here's to getting on with the game. 
    Davies has but not one other male pro has felt assured enough to follow suit and it is 11 years since he came out. Women have been far more comfortable in doing so but, as Lauren Winfield-Hill, who married her girlfriend, Courtney, says “We’ve been in those countries and had partners come out and we’re on red alert. We wouldn’t hold hands in the street or in the stands. We’re not the most PDA [public displays of affection] group, and we’re careful not to offend. We’re tight as tight with England. It’s our safe place, we’re completely ourselves, we speak at a deeper level." 

"We're careful not to offend" Why should she and her wife have to be in fear of offending? Somerset is accepting of Davies but that county and even England is just a very small part of a cricketer who is an international or who plays for various franchises. What would happen if he was seen to be holding the hand of his partner or husband in say Pakistan? Pakistan is one of the least accepting of homosexuality with 87% of those surveyed saying "Homosexuality should not be accepted by society". I'm not sure how I would feel if I were gay and had publicly announced as much, playing in Pakistan. Or, in terms of football, what about the player in the same position at this year's World Cup? The Qataris are making the right noises but would you run the risk in finding out?

As I've said already, Jake Daniels is incredibly brave to do come out and I really do hope that he has a fantastic career. I also hope that he not only gets the support of everyone here but that the likes of FIFA and Governments stand up and be counted should the Qataris opt to take action against a player or supporter who doesn't happen to fit in with their culture or religion. Because the issue isn't just the random idiot on the terraces or the opposite number whispering in his ear some cheap shot. What we take for granted so far as acceptance is concerned is not, unfortunately, the experience of those on the receiving end of such abuse or even punishment by Law.

So, no we shouldn't be talking about this as a big event in 2022. But to pretend that it's something that doesn't need to be is, perhaps, not looking at the full picture.
    Of course - and this is a big moment - but I was more thinking in the longer term. Hopefully Daniels can have an excellent pro career and be judged on his football.
  • Options
    i’m not doubting that the stat is true , i’m amazed it’s the first time since Justin Fashanu , there was a guy in Australia recently i seem to remember reading and there have been several rumours about players who have stayed in the closet which is if true a crying shame , hopefully the actions this young will prove inspirational🏳️‍🌈
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    i’m not doubting that the stat is true , i’m amazed it’s the first time since Justin Fashanu , there was a guy in Australia recently i seem to remember reading and there have been several rumours about players who have stayed in the closet which is if true a crying shame , hopefully the actions this young will prove inspirational🏳️‍🌈
    The stat that he’s the first openly gay player since Fashanu playing in England, he’s absolutely not the first gay player playing in England since Fashanu.

Huge respect to him, really hope this is a positive story at the start of next season and there’s no homophobia from opposition fans dressed up as “banter”.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    The stat that he’s the first openly gay player since Fashanu playing in England, he’s absolutely not the first gay player playing in England since Fashanu.

Huge respect to him, really hope this is a positive story at the start of next season and there’s no homophobia from opposition fans dressed up as “banter”.
    Well, Thomas Hitzlsperger had a long enough Premiership career that he got his own special nickname
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck to the lad……in this day and age the number of people who are homophobic are relatively few and far between, I never understand why some people are so outraged or offended, live and let live I say.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Well played young man and whatever his career brings and, however unnecessary it may have been to have to make this announcement, he's made his mark on the modern game.

Inevitable they'll be a bit of a fuss but hopefully this is very short lived and the lad can get on with concentrating on his game. 
  • Options
    @cafctom said: Great courage and maturity for a lad aged only 17.

Still can’t get my head around the fact that it took over 30 years tor this to happen. 
    It's because he is only 17, you even listed the kids age!!!!

on a serious note, we'll done, great step forward but hopefully there won't be many (I've said many over any because unfortunately, there will be) drunken idiots on the terraces who dish out abuse 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    bobmunro said:
    I would like to think we've moved on sufficiently for Jake not to receive abuse from the terraces, rather he be cheered and applauded for his courage.

Seems completely alien to have to talk about courage in this scenario - but nevertheless it's a brave thing to do.

Very best wishes, Jake, for a long and successful career.

Sadly i don't think that's the case at all, he's almost certainly going to get abuse. You only have to look at the increase in moronic behaviour since lockdown ended, and even just yesterday 2 Brentford players families were the victim of racist abuse and a Burnley fan was arrested for making a nazi salute at Spurs fans.

Fair play to the kid though, incredibly brave decision at such a young age.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    It'll be the usual idiots hiding behind their 'it's just banter' catchphrases. 

Hope they are chucked out of football and banned for life. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    It'll be the usual idiots hiding behind their 'it's just banter' catchphrases. 

Hope they are chucked out of football and banned for life. 
    Personally I’d rather concentrate on the actual response rather on ‘potential what if’ negativity. 

What I think is very clear is that the reaction so far has been overwhelmingly positive and even more encouragingly, the story hasn’t blown up as crazily as you would have thought. Just seems encouragement and acceptance. 
  • Options
    Well done to the lad for his very mature statement

Personally, while there may be rumours, I genuinely don't believe there are large number of footballers who've hidden their true sexuality, as I don't see why they wouldn't have come out after retiring if they were afraid of doing so while playing. Thomas Hitzlsperger got a great reaction after he came out once retired.
  • Options

Personally, while there may be rumours, I genuinely don't believe there are large number of footballers who've hidden their true sexuality, as I don't see why they wouldn't have come out after retiring if they were afraid of doing so while playing. Thomas Hitzlsperger got a great reaction after he came out once retired.
    Statistically speaking, you would be wrong just based on overall demographics and the sheer lack of LGBT representation over however many years in football. 

I also don't feel they HAVE to come out if they are gay/bi/whatever, it's their private life completely separate from sport. So perhaps hidden is the wrong word for it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He said in his interview that he wants to be a role model. He’ll get loads of attention for a few days, but it will soon die down. 
  • Options

Statistically speaking, you would be wrong just based on overall demographics and the sheer lack of LGBT representation over however many years in football. 

I also don't feel they HAVE to come out if they are gay/bi/whatever, it's their private life completely separate from sport. So perhaps hidden is the wrong word for it. 
    Averages for the population don't mean that one "profession" should have the same percentage

After all I would imagine the the gay percentage in creative fields like music, dance, fashion and acting are much higher than the average for the overall population.
  • Options

Averages for the population don't mean that one "profession" should have the same percentage

After all I would imagine the the gay percentage in creative fields like music, dance, fashion and acting are much higher than the average for the overall population.
    You genuinely believe there isn't many more than 2 footballers in 40+ years that have been gay or bi? 
  • Options
    Hope Jake has a successful career and happy life. Good luck to him.
  • Options
    It's a good question.  But the fact is, it's his decision, rather than as a result of someone leaking a story.  So he's in charge. 

He's done it at his own timing - he may even have already disappeared on holiday and won't give two hoots what's in the paper. 
  • Options
    What a brave young man. He should be proud of himself. All the best Jake. 
  • Options

But there's the rub, if gay players don't come out they are effectively forced to live their life in secret. Imagine how hard it must be to go through life not being able to mention your loved one(s) for fear of giving the game away. Feeling free to publicly express what kind of life you want to lead and who you want to share it with should be everyone's right.

Of course, no one should feel compelled to come out, but it would be fantastic if everyone was so supportive that the practice of coming out became something completely unremarkable. Congratulations to Jake Daniels, let's hope his actions make it easier for those who follow. 
  • Options
    I've shared this thread on the Pool site. This lad is a huge prospect and the support he is getting from the football family is amazing, thankyou. Every credit to BFC for supporting Jake. 
    It shouldn't be a brave decision, but unfortunately I think it is. Not because there's anything wrong with being gay, but the whole novelty aspect of "first out gay footballer in English men's football since Justin Fashanu" aspect means a whole load of attention, not necessarily all positive. Hopefully the timing of the announcement means most people will have got their hot takes out of the way before the season starts, and he can just concentrate on his football without his personal life being used as a stick to beat him with. By the sounds of things he's getting a lot of support, and I hope that will continue regardless of whether he's the next Stanley Matthews or the next Alfie Matthews (currently at Welling).
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    He said in his interview that he wants to be a role model. He’ll get loads of attention for a few days, but it will soon die down. 
    Given that Blackpool and Sky have been working with him for a while, i suspect his announcement was timed for right at the end of the season with that exact hope in mind. Season over and no games for 2-3 months. By July/August most people will have forgotten.
  • Options

You genuinely believe there isn't many more than 2 footballers in 40+ years that have been gay or bi? 
    That is not what he said.