Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Well Done Jake Daniels

13»

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Hard to say whether this story being splashed all over BBC and Sky is what the player would have wanted?
    He said in his interview that he wants to be a role model. He’ll get loads of attention for a few days, but it will soon die down. 
    Given that Blackpool and Sky have been working with him for a while, i suspect his announcement was timed for right at the end of the season with that exact hope in mind. Season over and no games for 2-3 months. By July/August most people will have forgotten.
    This also shows the support he’s had from both his team mates and the people at Sky that it hasn’t leaked earlier. It’s been done on his terms. The people around him have clearly respected that.
  • Options
    I don't think he will be receiving abuse from opposition fans next season.

Times have changed and he will likely mostly just be shown the respect that he deserves.

There might be the odd supporter who's had a few beers and wants to shout something derogatory but it probably won't be anything more than that.

I hope he can get on with his career and just carries on as normal. Good luck to him.
  • Options
    I hope this soon becomes commonplace enough to not warrant comment from any quarter.
    Maybe in his case the ‘banter’ will be #He’s got a name like a whiskey, oh Jake Daniels is wonderful#
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Hard to say whether this story being splashed all over BBC and Sky is what the player would have wanted?
    He said in his interview that he wants to be a role model. He’ll get loads of attention for a few days, but it will soon die down. 
    Given that Blackpool and Sky have been working with him for a while, i suspect his announcement was timed for right at the end of the season with that exact hope in mind. Season over and no games for 2-3 months. By July/August most people will have forgotten.
    He mentioned in the interview that he told his family the day before he scored 4-goals against Accrington

Looking at their U18 fixture list, that happened on 15th January
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    In the woman's game it isn't a problem:

Vivianne Miedema the Dutch super star at Arsenal, Casey Stoney ex England captain and excellent coach, Danish international Harder etc. No one's counting but whether it safety in numbers and I probably know more about the top 3 team in the WSL and there are a number of woman that are gay.
    No need to hide just be true to yourself and get on with your career and your sexual orientation.

When GB won the gold medal in the woman's Hockey the Captain and another team member were partners.

Men's football is very tribal and is still watched and played in a feral way. Middle age men and teenage kids still saying the same crass comments of 40 years ago.
    It's boring and passe.

2022 and a male player at the start of his career is coming out. The cowards on social media will hide and say their poison but gradually even in the banter world of the male homo sapiens it will become accepted. Unlikely in the middle East but miracles do take longer.

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    I don't think he will be receiving abuse from opposition fans next season.

Times have changed and he will likely mostly just be shown the respect that he deserves.

There might be the odd supporter who's had a few beers and wants to shout something derogatory but it probably won't be anything more than that.

I hope he can get on with his career and just carries on as normal. Good luck to him.
    Lets hope so! You're always gonna get absolute cretins at every football club. Billy Sharp got abuse about his baby passing away, there are just evil people in this world. Hopefully the response is overwhelmingly positive! 
  • Options
    Good luck, Jake.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I think the attitude of a minority of fans that being a fan allows them to be a complete a*hole has to be challenged within the game. This lad should only be met with support and this will allow it to change for the better. The entitled pricks who might abuse him need to feel the full force of severe punishments including bans.
  • Options

Vivianne Miedema the Dutch super star at Arsenal, Casey Stoney ex England captain and excellent coach, Danish international Harder etc. No one's counting but whether it safety in numbers and I probably know more about the top 3 team in the WSL and there are a number of woman that are gay.
    No need to hide just be true to yourself and get on with your career and your sexual orientation.

When GB won the gold medal in the woman's Hockey the Captain and another team member were partners.

Men's football is very tribal and is still watched and played in a feral way. Middle age men and teenage kids still saying the same crass comments of 40 years ago.
    It's boring and passe.

2022 and a male player at the start of his career is coming out. The cowards on social media will hide and say their poison but gradually even in the banter world of the male homo sapiens it will become accepted. Unlikely in the middle East but miracles do take longer.

It's just the norm in women's sport, and it is in a lot of other sports, Rugby seems to date to have been far more accepting to players and officials coming out. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Rothko said:

It's boring and passe.

It's just the norm in women's sport, and it is in a lot of other sports, Rugby seems to date to have been far more accepting to players and officials coming out. 

When Gareth Thomas and the top rugby ref Nigel Owens Came out that was two Rugby personalities at the top of the game in Wales where as we know Rugby is mega.
    Gareth left his wife and was so famous he had no chance of living the life he wanted without speaking his truth.

Jake being 17 is just starting out on his pro career.
  • Options
    It was just on the radio here in Italy. Couldn’t understand a word apart from his name so no idea what was said. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    How has he got on at Blackpool? 
    I am of the understanding he had a 10 min run out as a substitute in a 0-5 defeat.
    Maybe mistaken, but that is all that interests me in the bloke.
    Anyone remember Dave behind the ramp in the Royal Oak in the mid 80s?
    Nope, not a footballer, but someone who had to deal with a lot of nonsense.
    Anyone into decent rave nights in the late 80s knew where to go.
    Good luck to the bloke, but not high end news in my opinion.

To be fair, this may not be how the bloke wanted it played out, but the media are certainly turning it into something it shouldn’t be, IMO. A hero for declaring his sexuality? What next? Someone from Chelsea Ladies declaring themselves as straight?

The last paragraph being a joke for those fragile ones on here.
  • Options
    Jakes a Youth Team player who scored 30 goals in the season just ended. Helped Blackpool make it to the Youth Cup quarter finals where he scored in the defeat at Stamford Bridge.
    He signed a professional contract a few months ago and make his debut in the last game of the season at Peterborough.
    This lad is a very decent footballer and a great prospect for the future
    Let's hope he has a successful career.
  • Options
    Jakes a Youth Team player who scored 30 goals in the season just ended. Helped Blackpool make it to the Youth Cup quarter finals where he scored in the defeat at Stamford Bridge.
    He signed a professional contract a few months ago and make his debut in the last game of the season at Peterborough.
    This lad is a very decent footballer and a great prospect for the future
    Doesnt sound too different to Daniel Kanu, although having a young kid who has scored 40-goals for the U18s is clearly better than yours ;)
  • Options
    Embarrassing for football that it's taken so long but over the next couple of years we will sadly see why. Hopefully it will lead to a change of attitude in the stands and a footballer coming out to not be a big deal, just like it is for most in society. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    I would like to think we've moved on sufficiently for Jake not to receive abuse from the terraces, rather he be cheered and applauded for his courage.

Seems completely alien to have to talk about courage in this scenario - but nevertheless it's a brave thing to do.

Very best wishes, Jake, for a long and successful career.

I hope you're right about the majority of terraces, I really do, but I fear we'll find out you're way wide of the mark.
    Few kids Daniels's age seem to have any issue with sexuality, to generalise it's just not interesting.
    Sadly their parents' generation and older are still very different.
    Football attracts far too many gobshites and I fear the first few openly gay male players will cop plenty from the relative anonymity of the terraces.  We still see far too many incidents of racist abuse despite decades of effort against that strain of bigotry.
    The majority on the terraces will have to stand up, report and vilify the haters when they inevitably reveal themselves.
    That will be the true test of whether football as a whole has "moved on"/"grown up" 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I hope he has a good sports psychology team at Blackpool as he will have immense service scrutiny everytime he plays. Probably Blackpool most well know player now and barley 17 year old. Like Wayne Rooney Derby, it will be Jake Daniels Blackpool. Huge pressure on him and will be interesting to follow his career.

• Options
    ROTW said:
    How has he got on at Blackpool? 
    I am of the understanding he had a 10 min run out as a substitute in a 0-5 defeat.
    Maybe mistaken, but that is all that interests me in the bloke.
    Anyone remember Dave behind the ramp in the Royal Oak in the mid 80s?
    Nope, not a footballer, but someone who had to deal with a lot of nonsense.
    Anyone into decent rave nights in the late 80s knew where to go.
    Good luck to the bloke, but not high end news in my opinion.

To be fair, this may not be how the bloke wanted it played out, but the media are certainly turning it into something it shouldn’t be, IMO. A hero for declaring his sexuality? What next? Someone from Chelsea Ladies declaring themselves as straight?

The last paragraph being a joke for those fragile ones on here.
    I think you confused “joke” with “homophobic drivel“.
  • Options
    Craig Napier is the first Scottish Referee to come out as gay... Hopefully Jake's decision is going to see a lot more of this, if its out there now. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61671888