Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sky Glass TV

Comments

• Options
    _MrDick said:
    Just an observation but why do you need to record something when it’s going to be available from a library in the cloud
    As I said above - is everything going to be held in the cloud e.g. an old Charlton game or a concert of some description? 
    Not sure about charlton games but if a concert has been on tv its most probably on youtube
  • Options
    Have I understood it right that Sky Glass doesn’t allow you to watch live TV without an active Sky Subscription?

Given Sky’s reputation for extortionate end of contract price increases, I’m interested to see how it pans out when the early adopters of Glass come to subscription renewal.

• Options
    Am I right in saying that you need minimum broadband speed of about 25mbps for 4k? If so, it’s a waste of time for me as my Sky Broadband struggles at 23mbps because of the dodgy cabling locally! 
    The Sky Glass TV alone requires 27mbps according to the Sky Technical engineer that visited my house to try and make Glass work properly. I also had three Pucks plus of course all of the other WiFi related bits and pieces dotted around the house. I suspect that unless you’re one of the (currently 18%) of the U.K. households with top end broadband then Glass is a real no no. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I’ll add that once I informed Sky that Glass was not working properly and detrimentally affecting my whole broadband needs they sent a Glass Tech engineer out next day. When he told me it was never going to work with the broadband speed I could get. He contacted BT Openreach directly while at my house and established that 32mbps was the upper limit of my broadband speed. He made a few tweaks to my line and got it to exactly that 32mbps. Sky then came to my house and boxed the Glass tv and pucks and took them away and reinstated Sky Q the same time. They refunded me three months Sky Q subscriptions and because technically I had left Sky Q, when they put me back on they gave me the benefit of the new deals for the package I was on so my monthly subscription went down by £25. To be honest I was quite impressed.
  • Options
    Am I right in saying that you need minimum broadband speed of about 25mbps for 4k? If so, it’s a waste of time for me as my Sky Broadband struggles at 23mbps because of the dodgy cabling locally! 
    The Sky Glass TV alone requires 27mbps according to the Sky Technical engineer that visited my house to try and make Glass work properly. I also had three Pucks plus of course all of the other WiFi related bits and pieces dotted around the house. I suspect that unless you’re one of the (currently 18%) of the U.K. households with top end broadband then Glass is a real no no. 

So you don't think it would work with 2mbs? (that's what I get!).

That said, Air Band have been contracted by my council to install fibre to property as part of the rural broadband scheme. Within a few months I should have 900 mbs so would become an option. My concern is not the service but the quality of the TV.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    bobmunro said:

So you don't think it would work with 2mbs? (that's what I get!).

That said, Air Band have been contracted by my council to install fibre to property as part of the rural broadband scheme. Within a few months I should have 900 mbs so would become an option. My concern is not the service but the quality of the TV.
    I’d give it a swerve Bob if I was you 😂 Until the U.K. roll out of ultra fast broadband is complete which Sky told me was due in 2025 (yeah right) Sky Glass for most people is a ridiculous idea. I got it after the Sky sales person I spoke to assured me that my 62mbps speed was adequate. It would have been if that figure had not been made up to get my sale.
  • Options
    Well,after all my fears
    1)It was doddle to set up including the stand
    2)Connection was painless
    3)Controls seem ok,at the moment I havent tried anything too complicated,but really no problems

time will tell.
  • Options
    Well,after all my fears
    3)Controls seem ok,at the moment I havent tried anything too complicated,but really no problems

time will tell.
    Will be interested  to hear how you get on with it T A T .
  • Options
    We have Sky fibre and although it may claim to be around 35mbps I don't beleive it is. We're switching to Trooli in two week as they are the only ones doing fibre to the premises on our street, even so I still wouldn't want Sky glass as I don't like the tv itself.
  • Options
    Well,after all my fears

time will tell.
    Will be interested  to hear how you get on with it T A T .
    Sure,will report any problems but at the moment all seems fine,it even turned itself on when I got home last night .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got BT Broadband so wanted BT TV and keep existing TV but my wife wanted Sky Glass, so we got Sky Glass.  Lack of recording is supposed to be covered by Playlist function. You add a programme to your Playlist and it is stored as if you had a recording. Not the same as recording.  You can't pause and come back next day where you left off.  Tried to get BT Sport added to Sky Glass but it isn't available on SkyGlass so have to plug in a Firestick with NOW TV/BT Sport added to my Broadband package. Just messy.
    Only thing I like is option as soon as you open a live programme to restart it.
  • Options
    Another couple of things I like, no dish on the front of house, no more cables running from the dish to the box. The pucks can be hidden from view.
    Far neater setup, I absolutely hate seeing cabling be power cords, speaker cable, HDMIs, ether net connections or any other cable/wire.
    I have this setup over 3 tvs and all that can be seen is the TVs.
    Also I have noticed a few posters mention broadband drop out, Glass continues to work in a storm, where as heavy rain can interfere with sat dishes.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    My only issue with it is the fact you have to have their TV. Until you can get it as an app or just the puck then I’m out.
  • Options
    Ross said:
    My only issue with it is the fact you have to have their TV. Until you can get it as an app or just the puck then I’m out.
    The puck only option to use with your own TV is on the way....apparently
  • Options
    Ross said:
    This would definitely be an improvement. I dont think their TV is as good as they make out. Compared to one of the bigger brands its not a looker and the picture quality isnt as good. The guy in Bluewater told me the panel was made by Panasonic, I don't believe that to be true. I read its by a Chinese company. Its okish but not really up to much.
    I stuck the Sky Glass TV in one of my bedrooms and just connected it over the WiFi. I have one puck wired in to the router and the other WiFied.  
  • Options
    Now into 3rd day,getting used to all the functions and controls,now I am 78,and as technology goes,I like most people of my era,do struggle.However,with a bit of trial and error,it is really quite simple(the odd shambles).Picture is ok but not exceptional,the sound is a vast improvement,I am just watching a John Legend concert and it sounds great.I dont think I could cope with all the pucks,tvs in other rooms,etc.that people are mentioning,but for me with one tv in one room ,this seems fine.
  • Options
    I don''t like all this uncertainty about the picture quality.  If I am going to get a new TV - and I understand the cost is up to £1,049 - I want to have some level of certainty about the how well the screen displays.  Because, it's quite possible that Charlton will be on Sky a couple of times next season and it would be terrible if I paid out more than a grand and ended up being able to see us play.  
  • Options
    Ross said:
    It is.  Am hoping they allow us to have Sky Q and then add pucks which will get over the frickin annoying only watching 2 minis at once thing.  Come on Sky, you know it makes sense!!!!
  • Options
    my tv bill just about to go up to 155, what are people paying atm?
  • Options
    Davey said:
    Ross said:
    It is.  Am hoping they allow us to have Sky Q and then add pucks which will get over the frickin annoying only watching 2 minis at once thing.  Come on Sky, you know it makes sense!!!!
    I enquired about this and you can’t run both Glass and Q in tandem. To have bothwould require two subscriptions. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    I have Sky Q for £50 a month. I rang them and cancelled. They called back a few days ;ater and offered my 18 months at £50 a month. Thats everything except kids channels 
  • Options
    Davey said:
    Ross said:
    I enquired about this and you can’t run both Glass and Q in tandem. To have bothwould require two subscriptions. 
    I read that you could buy the TV but not have to take out a subscription so effectively you could plug a Sky Q box with your Sky Q subscription into a Sky Glass TV you just wouldn't get all the stuff you would on Sky Glass

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-glass-without-a-subscription
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Davey said:
    Ross said:
    I read that you could buy the TV but not have to take out a subscription so effectively you could plug a Sky Q box with your Sky Q subscription into a Sky Glass TV you just wouldn't get all the stuff you would on Sky Glass

But what’s the point of that ? At £1000 plus for the tv why would you bother ?
  • Options
    Davey said:
    Ross said:

But what’s the point of that ? At £1000 plus for the tv why would you bother ?
    Not saying I would, just saying the option appears to be there. Some might want a TV with an integrated sound bar, reduce plugs and wires etc.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    £50.00 per year or £4.16 per month.

IPTV.................its the future  ;)
  • Options
    But it is illegal isn't it?
  • Options
    But it is illegal isn't it?
    It is but personally I think the fees Sky and the others charge per month are more criminal.
  • Options
    I pay Sky £61 at the moment, and BT £77 for Broadband and Sport. So both are going to be interesting conversations and I'm going to haggle with both based on what Virgin are currently offering as that's available here 
  • Options
    I have NowTV, with Sky Cinema, and pay around £15 a month. I also have the (now discontinued) NowTV box with built in freeview, which allows pause/rewind/fastforward or terrestrial tv stations (there's a half hour buffer, so you can rewind up to half an hour, or hit pause for half an hour before it fills the buffer and starts playing again, but then you can fast forward until you catch up).

There's no way I'd ever pay for a full Sky or Virgin subscription ever again. NowTV includes the main Sky channels I want and even with Disney+, Amazon Prime, Netflix and Starz, I'm still paying a fraction of what just a Sky subscription would cost.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I have NowTV, with Sky Cinema, and pay around £15 a month. I also have the (now discontinued) NowTV box with built in freeview, which allows pause/rewind/fastforward or terrestrial tv stations (there's a half hour buffer, so you can rewind up to half an hour, or hit pause for half an hour before it fills the buffer and starts playing again, but then you can fast forward until you catch up).

There's no way I'd ever pay for a full Sky or Virgin subscription ever again. NowTV includes the main Sky channels I want and even with Disney+, Amazon Prime, Netflix and Starz, I'm still paying a fraction of what just a Sky subscription would cost.
    Hi RA, a few questions.

1) Do you  get the footie with that, and is it in HD?

2) Does a Now TV pass cover you for different rooms ( as an all in?)