Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Moaners on Twitter and the new breed of fan…

Comments

• Options
    YTS1978 said:
    I don't get the love in with Sunderland tbh and I don't think we should be sending out messages congratulating other teams on being successful, especially when we've had a spectacularly shit season! Just my view, but this is a competition, we're not mates! Remember when Roland congratulated Sheffield Utd on promotion? That was odd too, but for different reasons!
    As fans we can choose whether to congratulate opponents or not, but clubs need to stay classy. 
  • Options
    Yeah, I hear you @JamesSeed I just think it's a bit too "matey" for my liking!
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    I don't get the love in with Sunderland tbh and I don't think we should be sending out messages congratulating other teams on being successful, especially when we've had a spectacularly shit season! Just my view, but this is a competition, we're not mates! Remember when Roland congratulated Sheffield Utd on promotion? That was odd too, but for different reasons!
    I don't  know any of the people who get R.I.P messages  on here either but I wouldn't comment adversely on those who wish too.

Sunderland fans are genuinely nice. I have mixed with them since I was 14 as I had a friend from there and the family took me to Sunderland away games in London. 

I can't recall any trouble with there fans and doubt a lot of ours would be gracious  in defeat at such important Wembley games ae 1998 or 2019.

That is the difference.  It is not love but respect and old fashion courtesy. In the distant past such things were common. 
    You can find if you Google 'Back in the Day' or another modern idiom that I don't like
    Bit of an odd comparison with RIP threads, but I guess you're referring more to the twitter replies than my comment. If you have fond memories of Sunderland then that's great. They do seem an alright bunch and good luck to them! I just don't think we should be congratulating other teams on social media. It's a bit cringey, but that's just like, my opinion, man. I will of course change my view when we romp the league next year and Sunderland send us a lovely message and a bunch of flowers COYA
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    Yeah, I hear you @JamesSeed I just think it's a bit too "matey" for my liking!
    Yeah, I guess I’m being selective. It’s fine when it’s Sunderland, but I’d hate it if they were congratulating Chelsea, or those south London clubs that have never won anything. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    YTS1978 said:
    I don’t have an issue with people congratulating, but what I did find quite peculiar yesterday was  a lot of Charlton fans constantly trying to link the occasion back to us - all because we’ve played Sunderland twice in the last 25 years at Wembley.

I know it’s a weird thing to get bothered about - but it did seem a bit desperate/tenuous. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Honestly don’t get the Sunderland love in. We played them twice at wembley, that’s it. They’re no different to any other set of fans but each to their own, there’s certainly nothing ‘embarrassing’ about saying well done.
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    YTS1978 said:
    I don't  know any of the people who get R.I.P messages  on here either but I wouldn't comment adversely on those who wish too.

Sunderland fans are genuinely nice. I have mixed with them since I was 14 as I had a friend from there and the family took me to Sunderland away games in London. 

I can't recall any trouble with there fans and doubt a lot of ours would be gracious  in defeat at such important Wembley games ae 1998 or 2019.

That is the difference.  It is not love but respect and old fashion courtesy. In the distant past such things were common. 
    You can find if you Google 'Back in the Day' or another modern idiom that I don't like
    Bit of an odd comparison with RIP threads, but I guess you're referring more to the twitter replies than my comment. If you have fond memories of Sunderland then that's great. They do seem an alright bunch and good luck to them! I just don't think we should be congratulating other teams on social media. It's a bit cringey, but that's just like, my opinion, man. I will of course change my view when we romp the league next year and Sunderland send us a lovely message and a bunch of flowers COYA
    I think Sunderland actually sent us champagne and flowers 

@Ollywozere can you confirm 
  • Options
    Honestly don’t get the Sunderland love in. We played them twice at wembley, that’s it. They’re no different to any other set of fans but each to their own, there’s certainly nothing ‘embarrassing’ about saying well done.
    They actually are different from most sets of fans. You hear so many supporters saying that. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    YTS1978 said:
    YTS1978 said:

I think Sunderland actually sent us champagne and flowers 

@Ollywozere can you confirm 
    Haha...well we better get something organised for them then! Clearly a congratulatory tweet isn't enough! This could get awkward otherwise 😀
  • Options
    Deleted twitter last summer and never looked back, really does your head in reading some of the shit on there 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Twitter is absolutely horrific nowadays, and the comments of any football related tweet are usually full of people throwing mud.

Be thankful that we don’t support one of the ‘big 6’ sides though - where every discussion is properly vitriolic, filled with foreign fans who’ve never been to a game - obsessed with discrediting each other.

Saw a tweet yesterday from Sky Sports where Kevin De Bruyne was announced as Premier League player of the season - or something to that effect. Not one single comment talking about how good he is, or a congratulations or anything. Just armchair fans of other clubs talking about how it is rigged, embarrassing etc.

Are the younger generation of football fans truly this unhappy in life to be so constantly angry?
    You get hateful comments on here though, when it comes to palace and millwall ect.  I get that theres a rivalry but i don't hate either of those teams, find it a a bit weird to get worked up about clubs just because their down the road.
  • Options
    The 'love in' was about how gracious they were in defeat. 
    Twice.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    cafctom said:
    seth plum said:
    In what universe does what anybody says on Twitter matter?
    Surely it is known by Charlton ‘official’, Donald Trump, Colleen Vardy, and the rest, that Twitter is a sewer and it is used by unimaginative morons?
    The tragedy is that those who use Twitter assume everybody else thinks it matters, like bitcurrency, taking Twitter seriously is akin to believing in the existence of Ghosts.
    Well, it does matter to a larger extent than I think you’re given it credit. There are real people sat behind the accounts (most of the time).

Footballers will often see the abuse they get subjected to, as will admins. It might be easy for a lucky few to just ignore it and not let it affect you - but that’s unfortunately not how the human mind works for a lot of people.

As discussed in a separate thread recently, the behaviour that many partake in online by hurling out abuse, insults etc without consequence will undoubtedly have a knock on effect to their ‘real life’ personalities at some point. 
    Does it require luck to ignore Twitter?
    I associate luck with winning a lottery.
    One way to ignore Twitter is to not have it and not look at it, are you saying that it is only lucky people that achieve the personal fortitude enabling them to do this (with the added bonus of not enriching Elon Bezoz Zuckerbugger)?
    When you say real people sitting behind accounts, my understanding is it is like Chinese whispers where people pass things on, how much intellectual or emotional effort does it take to retwitter something? How much reality is involved?

Racist.
  • Options
    Redskin said:
    seth plum said:
    cafctom said:
    seth plum said:
    In what universe does what anybody says on Twitter matter?
    Surely it is known by Charlton ‘official’, Donald Trump, Colleen Vardy, and the rest, that Twitter is a sewer and it is used by unimaginative morons?
    The tragedy is that those who use Twitter assume everybody else thinks it matters, like bitcurrency, taking Twitter seriously is akin to believing in the existence of Ghosts.
    Well, it does matter to a larger extent than I think you’re given it credit. There are real people sat behind the accounts (most of the time).

Footballers will often see the abuse they get subjected to, as will admins. It might be easy for a lucky few to just ignore it and not let it affect you - but that’s unfortunately not how the human mind works for a lot of people.

As discussed in a separate thread recently, the behaviour that many partake in online by hurling out abuse, insults etc without consequence will undoubtedly have a knock on effect to their ‘real life’ personalities at some point. 
    Does it require luck to ignore Twitter?
    I associate luck with winning a lottery.
    One way to ignore Twitter is to not have it and not look at it, are you saying that it is only lucky people that achieve the personal fortitude enabling them to do this (with the added bonus of not enriching Elon Bezoz Zuckerbugger)?
    When you say real people sitting behind accounts, my understanding is it is like Chinese whispers where people pass things on, how much intellectual or emotional effort does it take to retwitter something? How much reality is involved?

Racist.
    Says Redskin, what's wrong with Indians?

;)  
  • Options
    Redskin said:
    Twice.
    Most were, some weren't. It depends on people's personal experience. We got abuse when arrived at Wembley and after there were groups of very drunk Sunderland fans trying to pick people off.
  • Options
    Redskin said:
    Twice.
    Most were, some weren't. It depends on people's personal experience. We got abuse when arrived at Wembley and after there were groups of very drunk Sunderland fans trying to pick people off.
    Same. Our experience with them wasn’t great either but I’m sure they’re not all like that.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Redskin said:
    Twice.
    Same here, we got to Wembley very early (11am-ish) to pick up our tickets and there was barely a Charlton fan in sight, but hordes of Sunderland fans. Got heckled a fair bit on our way to the stadium with some not so nice comments, even one bloke yelling "Medoncas a peadophile!" at us. As others have said its not the majority, but it certainly made beating then a few hours later sweeter. 
  • Options
    Bring back the birch. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redskin said:
    Twice.

It's a numbers game:
    I was on a coach that had a Bottle thrown at it from a disgruntled Sunderland fan that cracked a back window but didn't shatter so the driver said we keep going in the Super Clive final but the vast majority of Sunderland fans were cress fallen but non violent.

The Late,late show winner under Bowyer I travelled by train and was amazed how well the Sunderland supporters took it. The vast majority had left by the time I vacated the stadium as I think they were about to lock up. 
  • Options
    Redskin said:
    Twice.

It's a numbers game:
    I was on a coach that had a Bottle thrown at it from a disgruntled Sunderland fan that cracked a back window but didn't shatter so the driver said we keep going in the Super Clive final but the vast majority of Sunderland fans were cress fallen but non violent.

The Late,late show winner under Bowyer I travelled by train and was amazed how well the Sunderland supporters took it. The vast majority had left by the time I vacated the stadium as I think they were about to lock up. 
    After 98 I was there for an hour or more cos I had an invite to the event in that hall arranged by RM, even so when we finally got on the Tube back there were still knots of them around. In our carriage they were generous and friendly, and wanted nothing more than a singing contest, which they won hands down, cos we all felt shattered, and TBH they had a huge repertoire of songs, many of them very funny at Newcastle’s expense. After ‘19, they were just very quiet. And my BnB in Eltham for that game was Sunderland family run. Lovely people, the guy aged 70ish going all over the country to watch them. So I’m pro, but of course there are bell-ends, like in every fanbase. Someone dig out that Tweet from one after Jacko’s first game. “It’s always them. Why is it always effing them? I hope they all eff off and die, etc” 😂
  • Options
    A female Sunderland fan I got talking to on the tube after the Bauer victory gave me a sweet kiss on the cheek as she and her husband got off.
    She wasn’t even blind.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    What on earth is going on? Am I out of touch here? Send a classy tweet to Sunderland congratulating them on promotion and the responses are mind bending…
    don't give them the oxygen of acknowledgement
    their emotion is real enough but they're too dim to recognise they're jealous of Sunderland's promotion and they're lashing out like the indulged toddlers they'll always be
    they'll all have needed their nappies changing and their snotty noses wiped, IF Mummy was able to prise them away from their phones
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Jesus fucking Christ I just checked Charlton Twitter. Morons. Crybabies, halfwits, morons. We are a sorry fucking lot
    And that was just Alex Gilbey 
  • Options
    Twitter exists to enrich the likes of Elton Bezosuckerberg, and to provide a safe space for morons by all accounts.
    I understand it is the realm of folk who eat Macdonalds whilst talking of crypto money.
    It is rather sad that Charlton Athletic are associated with it in any way, especially sad that it is something designed to exclude, not include.
  • Options
    Well if Dave12345 is cancelling so will I!!
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Well if Dave12345 is cancelling so will I!!

Good.
    People need to be showing Dave's more respect and take a Twitter moan Dave more seriously. We won't stand for it.

Rise of the planet... of the Dave's