Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beatles or Abba

Comments

• Options
    RedJohn said:
    If I was driving in my car on a long journey, then Abba, easy listening, however, overall, Beatles for me.
    Blimey, how to make a long car journey worse....
  • Options
    I dislike both, but if I had to choose, the Beatles wrote one song (Elanor Rigby) while Abba did none at all. Overrated rubbish.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Do you like a steak dinner (vegan comparison ) or a Knickerbocker glory.

Talking of knickers I will admit I did sometimes watch ABBA with the sound down but staring at Agnetha and Anni-Frid backsides; Benny and Bjorn I never noticed.

I was young and straight and no dancing Queen.

Beatles lyrics once they got past She loves you and I wanna hold your hand are excellent and are still relevant today.

We all live in a yellow submarine
  • Options
    I dislike both, but if I had to choose, the Beatles wrote one song (Elanor Rigby) while Abba did none at all. Overrated rubbish.
    Me too detest both but if I had to choose ........... No fuck it I don't have to  :D
  • Options
    I love all forms of music
    Last night lots of stuff about Abba on tv

Both groups had roughly the same chart life span
    The Beatles 62-70
    Abba 74-82

The Beatles would edge it for me but probably one of my favourite songs was not a single
    Eagle by Abba
    Edge it!?! Surely your not serious ! No contest !

I like ABBA it’s finely crafted pop, but not in the same league 
  • Options
    I love all forms of music
    Last night lots of stuff about Abba on tv

Both groups had roughly the same chart life span
    The Beatles 62-70
    Abba 74-82

The Beatles would edge it for me but probably one of my favourite songs was not a single
    Eagle by Abba
    All forms ? What would you say was your favourite genre out of the following.
    • lowercase. ...
    • Glitch hop. ...
    • Folktronica. ...
    • Black MIDI. ...
    • Vaporwave. ...
    • Cloud rap. ...
    • Simpsonwave. ...
    • Hypnagogic pop
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Didn't bang one out to any of the Beatles, in the day...

Much preferred Bjorn and Benny!
  • Options
    I get that Abba songs are known all round the world and can get a crowd going and make people want to dance etc, but when choosing your own music, does anyone ever say “I’m really in the mood to listen to some Abba”? Genuine question.
  • Options
    Big Beatles fan in the early sixties when I was six or seven, and liked the singles after that. When I properly ‘got into’ music when I was twelve or thirteen I was more into Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath than the Beatles. (And soul and ska/bluebeat etc)   
    However, looking back it’s clear that they were by far the biggest ‘rock’ act of all time. That’s why there are literally hundreds of books written about them, and why they are most collectable band by far at auction. They in some ways changed society. No other band could be the subject of a six hour documentary that people would be desperate to watch. Even though I never used to be a massive fan I’ve watched it twice. 
    ABBA created some very good unpretentious pop tunes, but it was all quite lightweight. Not necessarily anything wrong with that, but if you were to ask them if they were better than the Beatles they’d probably think you were taking the piss. 
  • Options
    All I can conclude is that there are many of you who really haven't listened to Revolver, The 'White Album', Sgt Peppers, Abbey Road, not to mention great songs on other albums. 

I like ABBA but seriously?
    You may as well ask: who was best this season, Man City or Charlton?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Big Beatles fan in the early sixties when I was six or seven, and liked the singles after that. When I properly ‘got into’ music when I was twelve or thirteen I was more into Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath than the Beatles. (And soul and ska/bluebeat etc)   
    However, looking back it’s clear that they were by far the biggest ‘rock’ act of all time. That’s why there are literally hundreds of books written about them, and why they are most collectable band by far at auction. They in some ways changed society. No other band could be the subject of a six hour documentary that people would be desperate to watch. Even though I never used to be a massive fan I’ve watched it twice. 
    ABBA created some very good unpretentious pop tunes, but it was all quite lightweight. Not necessarily anything wrong with that, but if you were to ask them if they were better than the Beatles they’d probably think you were taking the piss. 
    I generally enjoy watching documentaries on most music whether I like the genre/band or not but I'm most certainly not desperate to watch something about the Beatles even if it was a half hour show let alone SIX BLOODY HOURS, good grief. I appreciate that Beatles fans may be "desperate" ? / keen to watch it but isn't it only available on the disney channel ? I did watch a documentary years ago from when they were living / performing in Hamburg which I enjoyed but I think I'll swerve Get Back (if it were ever available on you tube)  :D
  • Options
    For my wife it would be ABBA and I do understand, great pop music.  For me the Beatles evey time.  For people who say they hate both why?   Some of the best and long lived pop music of all time. What do you listen too? Heavy Metal or pure 1950's Jazz only?
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    I get that Abba songs are known all round the world and can get a crowd going and make people want to dance etc, but when choosing your own music, does anyone ever say “I’m really in the mood to listen to some Abba”? Genuine question.
    But surely all of these people who dance to abba must actually like the group ? Hilarious comment “I’m really in the mood to listen to some Abba”  but people obviously do  "ray treacy" for one:D If I was out & they played a record I liked I might dance to it but if they played dancing queen for instance I wouldn't think "Oh great I can do a dad dance" I would probably take up smoking & go outside. So come on is there anyone who dislikes abba music but would dance to it ?  :D:D:D

• Options
    All I can conclude is that there are many of you who really haven't listened to Revolver, The 'White Album', Sgt Peppers, Abbey Road, not to mention great songs on other albums. 

I like ABBA but seriously?
    You may as well ask: who was best this season, Man City or Charlton?
    Music is subjective though so that football comparison doesn't work. 
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Yes me! Going to see an ABBA tribute act next weekend! 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I generally enjoy watching documentaries on most music whether I like the genre/band or not but I'm most certainly not desperate to watch something about the Beatles even if it was a half hour show let alone SIX BLOODY HOURS, good grief. I appreciate that Beatles fans may be "desperate" ? / keen to watch it but isn't it only available on the disney channel ? I did watch a documentary years ago from when they were living / performing in Hamburg which I enjoyed but I think I'll swerve Get Back (if it were ever available on you tube)  :D
    If you like the Beatles at all it’s well worth seeing. 
    Even if you only watch the third episode with the rooftop performance the vox pops filmed in the street are a fascinating insight into late sixties Britain. 
    They managed to turn 16mm faded film into full HD, which makes it feel like it was filmed yesterday, rather than in 1969. But oddly the Beatles themselves seem contemporary somehow, whereas those around them, and in particular those who appear in the vox pops, seem to be from a bygone era, which of course they are. 
  • Options
    An unfair question, as I'd choose The Beatles over any musical act

But I do like ABBA though, they produced some great pop music
  • Options
    Both bands - brilliant songwriters in their own right.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    If you like the Beatles at all it’s well worth seeing. 
    Even if you only watch the third episode with the rooftop performance the vox pops filmed in the street are a fascinating insight into late sixties Britain. 
    They managed to turn 16mm faded film into full HD, which makes it feel like it was filmed yesterday, rather than in 1969. But oddly the Beatles themselves seem contemporary somehow, whereas those around them, and in particular those who appear in the vox pops, seem to be from a bygone era, which of course they are. 
    Thanks JS but I have no interest in the beatles at all. As a young boy I liked the Stones, Animals, Manfred Mann, Yardbirds ( & loads of others) & assorted one off records but never liked the beatles. I know it doesn't make sense that there's nothing of theirs that I like but hey ho it's not something that keeps me awake at night. I have seen snippets of their rooftop performance & even less of the street scenes which I'm sure would be of more interest to me than the actual band performance but I won't bother to search them out now.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    But surely all of these people who dance to abba must actually like the group ? Hilarious comment “I’m really in the mood to listen to some Abba”  but people obviously do  "ray treacy" for one:D If I was out & they played a record I liked I might dance to it but if they played dancing queen for instance I wouldn't think "Oh great I can do a dad dance" I would probably take up smoking & go outside. So come on is there anyone who dislikes abba music but would dance to it ?  :D:D:D

JaShea99 said:
    Fair enough. Maybe it’s a generation thing but I just find it hard to imagine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Beatles.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Why not just invite your Abba liking friends round, spend all afternoon getting blotto, stick an Abba Live video on you tube, turn the lights down low & dance like a dancing queen & save the entry fee & hassle getting home ?
    HaHa seriously have a good time mate, to each their own etc. 
  • Options
    First single I bought was an Abba one, and the first album too - a Christmas present from my grandparents.
    In a couple of weeks' I'm going to see the show about to open at the Abba Arena in Stratford.
    I blame my dad for constantly playing Beatles tapes when we we kids on the long drive to Cornwall and back.  Also my sister for her love of the Yellow bloody Submarine video.
  • Options
    Neither. Both are absolutely horrendous and likely to make my ears bleed.
  • Options
    Musically both bands are reckonable.
    There is little wrong with music for fun if you’re in the mood, and little wrong with overt creativity if you’re in the mood. Both bands did both things, perhaps in different proportions.
    I find it difficult to warm to John Lennon, musically skilled though he undoubtedly was.
    I have seen film of John Lennon taking the piss out of disabled people whilst performing live, he sings ‘Imagine no possessions’ when he had so much wealth himself, and was ostentatious about it with white Rolls Royce’s and the like, and then he says ‘a working class hero is something to be’….hmmmn.
    When Paul McCartney recorded and released ‘Give Ireland Back to the Irish’ he showed more political courage and edge with that one event than John Lennon ever did.
    John Lennon is of course iconic, but like most of the greats he very much had feet of clay.
    Nearly every great artist has areas some can criticise, T.S. Eliot being a good example.
    As for ABBA, the excellence of production combined with great pop ‘hooks’ (as opposed to great riffs) lifts them above the run of the mill.

• Options
    Definitely ABBA - The Beatles were just an Oasis tribute band.

A better comparison would be who wrote the best songs - Mike Batt or Bob Dylan?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    There is little wrong with music for fun if you’re in the mood, and little wrong with overt creativity if you’re in the mood. Both bands did both things, perhaps in different proportions.
    I find it difficult to warm to John Lennon, musically skilled though he undoubtedly was.
    I have seen film of John Lennon taking the piss out of disabled people whilst performing live, he sings ‘Imagine no possessions’ when he had so much wealth himself, and was ostentatious about it with white Rolls Royce’s and the like, and then he says ‘a working class hero is something to be’….hmmmn.
    When Paul McCartney recorded and released ‘Give Ireland Back to the Irish’ he showed more political courage and edge with that one event than John Lennon ever did.
    John Lennon is of course iconic, but like most of the greats he very much had feet of clay.
    Nearly every great artist has areas some can criticise, T.S. Eliot being a good example.
    As for ABBA, the excellence of production combined with great pop ‘hooks’ (as opposed to great riffs) lifts them above the run of the mill.

There's me thinking the thread was about music?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    seth plum said:

There's me thinking the thread was about music?
    I took my cue from a poster who said the Beatles provided the second best Thomas the Tank Engine narrator and assumed that extending the ‘conversation’ was allowed.
  • Options
    I'll take both thanks
  • Options
    Stick both in the bin