Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beatles or Abba

Comments

• Options
    RedJohn said:
    If I was driving in my car on a long journey, then Abba, easy listening, however, overall, Beatles for me.
    that was Madness, duh!
  • Options
    In the lyrics of joe strummer 
    phoney bettlemania  has bitten the dust. 
    Over ratted in my eyes. Good but not that good. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I've just got it:  Beatles = Beale + TS.

It's happening.
  • Options
    This is during a performance, moments before playing 'Can't buy me love"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxQB0fUMkGQ

This is a performance of ABBA doing 'Dancing Queen'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFrGuyw1V8s&list=RDEMiMPRAwzvbVB9F1ixipdbgQ&start_radio=1&rv=Wcs-ytOYIHA

As they are both performance clips I am assuming they are related to music.

• Options
    I've just got it:  Beatles = Beale + TS.

It's happening.
    Sorry to burst your bubble:

Another Bad Boss Appointment.

It's happening.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFrGuyw1V8s&list=RDEMiMPRAwzvbVB9F1ixipdbgQ&start_radio=1&rv=Wcs-ytOYIHA

Yes it's true, yes it's awful, but you're the only person who would come up with that when discussing the music of The Beatles. What a tragic life you have.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Yes it's true, yes it's awful, but you're the only person who would come up with that when discussing the music of The Beatles. What a tragic life you have.
    Many thanks for your judgement about the tragedy of my life (wasn't Tragedy an ABBA song?), it sits amongst the panoply of criticism I frequently get from you.
    Is it tragic that one poster is obsessed with another individual poster to the extent of stalkerish behaviour?
    My initial point is that so many greats in so many artistic fields, including music, have feet of clay, but that is something you are not interested in discussing. Not that you are obliged to discuss such things, but you swoop in to dig me out personally which is a habit you struggle to break.

• Options
    ABBA, no contest whatsoever.
  • Options
    ABBA

Its a generation thing.

Beatles are for music snobs who still think they’re down with the kids but in fact go to bed at 8pm with a copy for Fly Fishing by JR Hartley. 
  • Options
    The Beatles were lucky to have three incredibly talented songwriters.
    Some of those solo records are phenomenal.
    Everybody should listen to All Things Must Pass, it's a real grower.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022
    ABBA

Its a generation thing.

Beatles are for music snobs who still think they’re down with the kids but in fact go to bed at 8pm with a copy for Fly Fishing by JR Hartley. 
    Steady on KB, you weren’t even born when they were doing their thing.
    You had to be there and of a particular generation to even begin to comprehend the impact they made…..it was truly phenomenal and changed the direction of popular music for the masses like no one had before or since.
    I cannot see there being another band who would or could emulate their success and were so loved and appreciated at a particular moment in time.
    I was so so lucky to live through it……I ordered and bought Love Me Do within a day of its release in October’62……I was 14.
    So…..one and all you must surely see that I was there and felt it, saw it, smelt it and heard it. I was a genuine child of the 60’s a time like no other for an explosion of youth culture and The Fab Four where right there in the headlights leading the way out of the doldrums. 🥳🤩🥲

• Options
    edited May 2022
    All I can conclude is that there are many of you who really haven't listened to Revolver, The 'White Album', Sgt Peppers, Abbey Road, not to mention great songs on other albums. 

I like ABBA but seriously?
    You may as well ask: who was best this season, Man City or Charlton?
    Music is subjective though so that football comparison doesn't work. 
    Ok, so let's try who's best: The Rolling Stones or The Wurzels ?
    There's a limit to subjectiveness, surely?

I actually think that ABBA made some great pop records. I also think however that even discounting the tracks on the best Beatles albums that I mentioned, there would be a strong case for The Beatles. Take a look at this list of ABBA songs. They made some great songs but the number is very limited. Once you get to about 15-20 there aren't any greats left
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Musically both bands are reckonable.
    There is little wrong with music for fun if you’re in the mood, and little wrong with overt creativity if you’re in the mood. Both bands did both things, perhaps in different proportions.
    I find it difficult to warm to John Lennon, musically skilled though he undoubtedly was.
    I have seen film of John Lennon taking the piss out of disabled people whilst performing live, he sings ‘Imagine no possessions’ when he had so much wealth himself, and was ostentatious about it with white Rolls Royce’s and the like, and then he says ‘a working class hero is something to be’….hmmmn.
    When Paul McCartney recorded and released ‘Give Ireland Back to the Irish’ he showed more political courage and edge with that one event than John Lennon ever did.
    John Lennon is of course iconic, but like most of the greats he very much had feet of clay.
    Nearly every great artist has areas some can criticise, T.S. Eliot being a good example.
    As for ABBA, the excellence of production combined with great pop ‘hooks’ (as opposed to great riffs) lifts them above the run of the mill.

Stick to footie ;-)
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Everyone used to do that in the mid sixties. Seemed that way, at least. 
  • Options
    There is no counter culture any more. Even with the most right wing government in our lifetimes, where are the protest singers? Not enough protest songs. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    There is no counter culture any more. Even with the most right wing government in our lifetimes, where are the protest singers? Not enough protest songs. 
    Orange Juice @JamesSeed
  • Options
    Excellent documentary on the BeeGees on Sky Arts last night.

Much better song writers and singers than ABBA although I didn't like the falsetto voices of the mix-70s.

ABBA's lyrics are terrible BTW.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    “Fuck the government & fuck Boris” 
  • Options
    People just said what they thought in them days. (Just for a laugh.) Nowadays you think 5 times before deciding not to say anything.
    Because there’s always someone to condemn you to being sexist racist or discriminative.   . 

• Options
    se9addick said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Not heard of that band.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    People just said what they thought in them days. (Just for a laugh.) Nowadays you think 5 times before deciding not to say anything.
    Because there’s always someone to condemn you to being sexist racist or discriminative.   . 

Great isn't it.

So much better now people rightly get pulled up on saying something sexist, racist or discriminative and so people think more about how their words and actions might hurt others.

Shows that we are progressing as a society.
  • Options
    Not always Henry. 
    I name Hillsboro disaster police blamed instead of truth. Drunk Liverpool fans turning up in thousands minutes before kick off  pissed up without tickets. 
    Rotherham sex slavery. 
    Truth held back for years allowing it to continue for years. 

• Options
    And nothing got covered up in the good old days?

Jimmy Saville?

Phalidamide?

Unmarried mothers put in lunatic asylums?

Much, much better now
  • Options
    Who says anything about good old days. (I didn’t )Nothing has changed except we try to hide it and say nothing nowadays. But it’s not always best to do so is it. 
    Think you’ve just enhanced my argument there proving it’s not always best to say things that upset people. 
    The phalidmide  thing your on about every kid done it at school to take piss out of someone them days. Which is what James seed is on about. Was it wrong.yes but that was them days.
    has it changed yes but are now days really better. 
    So we’ve had end of season pitch invasions and about 4 players have been punched but it’s alright no one said anything racist or discriminative they just punched them. 
    Lot better nowadays.  
    Old saying back in day should be rolled out nowadays again. 
    sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me. 
    Unfortunately it’s the other way round nowadays 

• Options
     Oh it’s thalidomide not phalidamode and I’m dyslexic another thing we didn’t have back in them days. 
  • Options
     Oh it’s thalidomide not phalidamode and I’m dyslexic another thing we didn’t have back in them days. 
    Me too.  Thanks for pointing out that I spelt it wrong.

I was talking about the way it was covered up for years that it was the drug that caused the deformities, not that we (me included) used "flid" as an insult in the playground.   I don't do that anymore because I'm not 7 anymore and I've learnt a bit more about it since then and why it was wrong. 

Unmarried mothers were locked away for decades,  All covered up or ignored because people could speak out.  The women weren't considered worthy of any compassion, like the victims in Rotherham, so nothing was done for them.

Jimmy Saville was known about but people wouldn't/couldn't speak out. Victims weren't believed.

So yeah, it is really really better than kids with disabilities aren't taunted or if they are (because it does hurt and damage people) it gets called out.

And it's really, really  good that racists get called out and that rape victims are listened to.
  • Options
    Yes but rapes and murders are all increasing.

• Options
    So is it better nowadays. 
    When you had a fight back then when you knocked them down you stopped. now they carry on until they knock them senseless. 
    I blame the movies for that nowadays showing  unnecessary violence.which they didn’t back in the day.The movies are better to watch but unfortunately some people are influenced by them and copy it. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Not heard of that band.
    Vossi Bop by Stormzy. 

• Options
    The only good thing about Abba is that is provided the name for Alan Partridge's TV Series...