Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Academy released and retained list

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2022

Good that Ness has signed, thought he has looked promising.  French and O'Connor I know nothing about.  Gavin and Oguntayo well worth their extra year.  Not seen much in Bakrin or Clayden to excite in the few games I have caught; Bakrin still young but Clayden counting towards the squad makes no sense to me.

Williams I thought looked good in his first team cameo so hope he signs, needs to bulk up.   Those that go regularly don't seem to rate Harvey much.

Good luck to the lads released, it's a mighty tough time for them and they will have thrown their heart and sole into Charlton and football so likely to be devastated but hopefully they carve out careers and prove us wrong.

Adigun, Ladapo, Leaburn, Reilly and Toure I hope all sign... but already rumours on the first two of those and I have already said elsewhere I don't expect Leaburn to be here next year.  Fingers crossed as these lads should be the future of the club.
  • Options
    I’m not that up to speed with the youth, but what makes you think that Leaburn will leave?
  • Options
    What about Richard Chin the BETHs boy?
  • Options
    Glad Ness has signed. Norwich and Burnley were linked with him a few months ago.
  • Options
    What about Richard Chin the BETHs boy?
    I asked as to why Chin hadn't appeared in the last month or so and no one seemed to know. 
  • Options
    what happened to Charlie Barker? I take it he’s already tied down on a long deal? 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Good that we’ve signed Ness extension. Would like to see him getting a chance at some stage next season. 
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    what happened to Charlie Barker? I take it he’s already tied down on a long deal? 
    Has another season

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5f770a567a47b/charlie-barker-signs-first-pro-deal-until-2023
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:
    I’m not that up to speed with the youth, but what makes you think that Leaburn will leave?

Big physical striker with a good recent goal scoring record.  Was previously at Chelsea who no doubt will still keep an eye on him.  The offer we will give as a L1 club will not match up to what he gets elsewhere.
  • Options
    I am surprised at the Nathan Harvey news based purely on what I have seen of him.
    In his favour he fits the 'all goalkeepers are nutty' tradition.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    I am surprised at the Nathan Harvey news based purely on what I have seen of him.
    In his favour he fits the 'all goalkeepers are nutty' tradition.
    He is a good shot stopper and comes for crosses.
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:
    That's my question too ! 

WTF has he got to do to earn a decent contract offer ? 

Very concerning if true.
  • Options
    He's been offered a contract Fanny, I think people are speculating that clubs with bigger pockets than us will offer him more. I don't know enough about youth football contracts to say how much of a difference that could be.
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:
    That's my question too ! 

WTF has he got to do to earn a decent contract offer ? 

Very concerning if true.
    Think you're barking up the wrong tree there. 

He will move onto bigger and better things if he does leave. Won't be us binning him. 
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:

Big physical striker with a good recent goal scoring record.  Was previously at Chelsea who no doubt will still keep an eye on him.  The offer we will give as a L1 club will not match up to what he gets elsewhere.
    Well if that is likely to happen with Leaburn we might as well parcel Kanu up now and just post him off to Chelsea as well.

So depressing that we can't even keep our promising young kids for a year or two now.
  • Options
    Thought we picked up Leaburn after he got released by Chelsea?
  • Options
    Speculation in my part but I am guessing Chelsea only have one u18 team?  Not even they loan out 16 and 17 year olds, at least not in large numbers.  

I do wonder if they have 5 or 6 u18 strikers they tell them to go else where to get regular football (all be it at u18/u23) level and if you kick on you can come back.  I suspect there was an element in that with Burstow as well.  
  • Options
    Richard Chin is a bit younger at 19 years old. The guys that have been released are generally around 21-22 years old. Chin may have had another year to go on his contract. 

I’m surprised by Powell but as said above, he’s a victim of his versatility. I never like seeing the young guys get released as they tend to find it harder to sign elsewhere.

Good luck to them all. 
  • Options
    Wonder if Chin's concentrating on exams? He looks a very good prospect.
  • Options
    Think Chin did his a levels last year.
    Hope Johl Powell manages to find a contract, think he did well on loan to Maidstone. Him, his older brother and dad are all charlton fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Wonder if Chin's concentrating on exams? He looks a very good prospect.
    Richard is 19 and completed his A levels last year - I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he is doing a degree to run alongside his football as he's a bright lad and I think his family would encourage him to do something to fall back on should he not make it as a pro.
  • Options
    Looks like Chin had signed a pro contract in july2021 , so imagine it’s a 2 year deal? 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Chin like Jeremy Santos signed a two to three year deal last year, Santos defo signed a three year deal as he’s brother told me at Dartford friendly. 
  • Options
    Surprised by Powell but not seen enough of him this past season to have a more informed opinion.  When I first saw him he shone but less so recently.  Maybe he’s plateaud or maybe he feels he wants a move.  

Harvey surprises me.  Not been his biggest fan in the games I’ve seen him play.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Shame about Ghandour, thought he was one to watch
    I think I saw him once or twice and he left a favourable impression. Slightly surprised.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    With Ghandour and Aouachria I think the problem was that once they reached a certain level they never kicked on. In fact Kanu, Burstow, Leaburn etc all progressed past them both. With Aouachria I think the injuries played a big part. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    With Ghandour and Aouachria I think the problem was that once they reached a certain level they never kicked on. In fact Kanu, Burstow, Leaburn etc all progressed past them both. With Aouachria I think the injuries played a big part. 
    There is also the fact that Dylan Gavin went out on loan to the same level, albeit to a struggling team and excelled. 

Unfortunately he almost set the benchmark for progression, the other two failed so with Gavin still around, along with the promising U18s there was little sense in keeping them sadly. 
  • Options
    We did, so they will know all about him.  Not saying he will go back there but just think he will have caught a lot of attention from clubs further up the leagues due to this background, plus his scoring record and his physicality...he has a lot going for him at his age.... and as a L1 club we will struggle to compete with any financial offer.

You would think that with all the youth whom have been offered but not yet signed we will have to up our offers to keep them or they would have signed already. 

It seems unusual for us not to tie them down on their 18th birthdays (or is it 17?); offered contracts at the end of the season sounds like either poor planning (which I doubt) or prolonged stalemate.

We seem to have a plethora of good young strikers for once and I really hope Leaburn, Ladapo and Reilly sign as it would be good to see one or two make it with us and maybe hang around a season or two.  To have any chance of rising up the divisions we need it.
  • Options
    We did, so they will know all about him.  Not saying he will go back there but just think he will have caught a lot of attention from clubs further up the leagues due to this background, plus his scoring record and his physicality...he has a lot going for him at his age.... and as a L1 club we will struggle to compete with any financial offer.

You would think that with all the youth whom have been offered but not yet signed we will have to up our offers to keep them or they would have signed already. 

It seems unusual for us not to tie them down on their 18th birthdays (or is it 17?); offered contracts at the end of the season sounds like either poor planning (which I doubt) or prolonged stalemate.

We seem to have a plethora of good young strikers for once and I really hope Leaburn, Ladapo and Reilly sign as it would be good to see one or two make it with us and maybe hang around a season or two.  To have any chance of rising up the divisions we need it.
    My thoughts too, SD.

Surely this is another example of our owner needing to speculate to accumulate & investing in the future ? 

I keep reading about his reluctance to pay "top dollar" for players that have been identified as ideal for the squad ( Black Box or by scouting...) , his abhorrence of agents etc but somewhere along the recruitment  process he has to  " put his money where his mouth is " if he is serious about promotion.

How could he fail to see that young, hungry & clearly talented young players are already at our club - home grown in effect. 

Miles Leaburn is one such player, and a striker to boot. Gold dust to a club that seemingly cultivates goalkeepers & defenders by the score but finds it more difficult to develop attacking forwards.

I wonder what Steve Avory's thoughts on such issues are....

What's that phrase oft used by our friends across the Pond ? 

Wake up & smell the coffee, Thomas ! 
  • Options
    Lots of posts asking why leaburn hasn't been offered a contract. 

Have you seen enough of him to deserve a contract, considering we seem to have lots of good young forwards coming through. Or should he be offered a contract just because of who his parents are?