Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Academy released and retained list

13»

Comments

• Options
    Young players like Miles Leaburn, or Daniel Kanu, excellent though they are, can be inconsistent and need shrewd deployment.
    It is easy to get carried away, and I would be one of the first to advocate playing the youngsters, but the caveat is that it is not an instant fix and we have to be prepared to tolerate that with forgiveness, understanding and encouragement.
    Previously we have had extensive conversations about Deji Elewere almost like he is now old hat, judged and filed suitably, yet he was in the U18 squad for last Saturday’s final that Leaburn and Kanu graced.
    In general terms at what age and stage ought we to consider the average footballer kind of sorted out? The consensus seems to be for the most part to be 21 years of age. Some earlier and some later.
    Or indeed does learning, improving and developing never really stop?
  • Options
    I wasn't aware Leaburn was that good anyway. I'm happy if he stays, but was unaware that somehow that he was a future star in the making, unlike say Kanu?
  • Options
    I wasn't aware Leaburn was that good anyway. I'm happy if he stays, but was unaware that somehow that he was a future star in the making, unlike say Kanu?
    Is a player of Leaburn's age expected to already be 'that good'?
    It is about promise and trajectory built on learned experience.
    I think for his age he has ability, presence, but still a bit to learn, I wouldn't assess him by saying he ain't all that.
  • Options
    It's an opinion.

After being out injured he came back into the u18s and scored a few goals.

On his debut for the U23s he scored a hat-trick and got a couple more in other U23s game IIRC.

He's tall but has a good touch and is now, it seems, growing into his body.

He doesn't have to be as good as Kanu to be good and worthy of a contract.
    I wasn't saying that Leaburn didn't deserver a new contract, it's more that I was puzzled why so many people are worried about the likes of Chelsea poaching him. He's not a youth international like Beadle, and hasn't made headlines in the first team like Burstow and Elewere.  
  • Options
    It's an opinion.

After being out injured he came back into the u18s and scored a few goals.

On his debut for the U23s he scored a hat-trick and got a couple more in other U23s game IIRC.

He's tall but has a good touch and is now, it seems, growing into his body.

He doesn't have to be as good as Kanu to be good and worthy of a contract.
    I wasn't saying that Leaburn didn't deserver a new contract, it's more that I was puzzled why so many people are worried about the likes of Chelsea poaching him. He's not a youth international like Beadle, and hasn't made headlines in the first team like Burstow and Elewere.  
    Because some people immediately jump to the worst scenario as be the most likely.
  • Options
    The trouble is young sportsmen develop at different ages. Unless they are a Foden for example who would have been fast tracked at a very young age that is and the lower down the pyramid one goes the more the lines are blurred between one that is going to make it at that level and one that isn't. It's only the coaches and management that will know about the attitude of the individuals in question i.e. how much they want to become a pro - the extra training, the looking after their bodies, limiting themselves to heavy nights out and partying etc etc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022
    What is a shame is that after the last 20 odd years we’ve only had I think Rob Elliot establish in the first team having come through the ranks and been a proper fan from a long-term Charlton family. 

In recent years we seem to have had a batch of them that fall in this category who’ve got to the periphery but not quite made it (or moved).
  • Options
    Anybody here, watch a lot of them last season, would be interested to hear their thoughts?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Swisdom:
    Thanks for passing on your opinions on the lads from the academy and the lads pass that age. 

A few years ago now I saw Wassim play really well for the Cafc U23 against Watford at Finchley; 4-1 win for the Addicks. Injuries totally affected his progress.

I already knew about Deji from a previous coach of his who helped him get into the Cafc academy and Bakrin looked similar when he played alongside Deji in the Youth side in the 20/21 season. Deji hopefully will be given opportunity in the first team to show his early promise on the ball. Needs to be strong against the big guys in League 1.
    See how Deji gets on marking Stockley or Aneke at Sparrows will help him or make him want to play in another position !

Tyreece Campbell looked very lively both times I have seen him play so hopefully he bounces back from injury soon.

TBF I wouldn't totally judge Miles Leaburn on his performances against Brighton and Sheffield United where the team found the stronger opposition a problem after crushing so many of their opponents and scoring for fun in their League matches, cup ties and friendlies. I have seen clips of Leaburn and he is still learning his art but has potential.

So difficult to "make it" in the Pro game.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Redhenry said:
    Anybody here, watch a lot of them last season, would be interested to hear their thoughts?

Wassim - writing has been on the wall for a while.  Horrific luck with injuries and hasn't really shone on loan or when I've seen him.  Shame as I was really excited by him

Agyemang - barely seen him this season.  Only saw him a couple of times last year and thought he looked decent.  Combative and mobile.  

Appiah - Only ever  saw hm a couple of itimes off the bench and never saw anything that made me really notice him

Ghandour - Unfortunately never really pushed on.  Talented player and needs to step backwards to try to find his level or find his feet.  Probably end up back at Maidstone.  Good luck to him

Powell - I'm surprised.  First few times I saw him I was really excited by him but couldn't tell you his best position.  I wish him well as there is definitely a player in there and I would think he'll go on to play league football in the future.

Vennings - Seemingly in Aaron Henry's shadow.  Similar positionally and physique wise but not quite at the same level.  Did well at Bromley I think.

Whitling - Only saw a couple of times and wasn't hugely impressed tbh

Tyreece Campbell - last time I saw him he was on crutches.  Really hope he kicks on because he's blisteringly quick and has a crazy amount of potential

Dench - Not seen enough of him.  Tidy but needs to work on decision making

Adigun - Very important player but get the feeling there is an agent involved with him who is seeing ££££££.  Talented player and always busy but his form at the end of the season was some way short of his early season form

Ladapo - Unusual upright running position but deceptively quick.  Tricky but decision making could be better,  Hope he stays

Miles - For a big bugger he needs to use his strength a bit more intelligently for my liking.  At u18 he should bully all defenders but he often gets outmuscled because he's not nasty enough.  But then gives a daft foul away by fouling too blatantly.  He's a good player but needs another season with more U23 games to adjust his game a bit.  When it clicks he'll be a handful.  Only turned 18 in November I think so still got plenty of time....provided he signs up

Mack - Tough one to call here.  Can go both ways (inside or outside) which is a nice trait for a winger though not especially tricky - just direct.  End of season form didn't quite match early season.  Good eye for goal

Seydil Toure- Never seen him play but know he is highly rated.  Injuries have been awful and we've supported him throughout so I would hope he signs up and we get to see what he's about.

Bakrin - been saying for almost year I rate him almost as highly as Deji.  Good defender but maybe not as good on the ball as Deji

Gavin - Not seen much of him but like what I have seen.  Stocky pitbull of a player and definitely knows where the goal is.

Claydon = Exciting but lost his way a bit with the pressure I think.  Loan went quite well I think so deserves more time

Oguntayo - Barely seen for the season but when I saw him last season I liked him.  Tall and tricky for a full back but scored an absolute banger with his right foot in one game I saw.  Highly rated so glad he's got another year

O'Connor - Only returned fairly recently. Previously left as I believe his family relocated to Scotland but he's back now and settling in well.  

Surprised to see Harvey kept still as never been hugely impressed and he's a bit lively coming off his line...

This is a pretty good round up, and as somebody who watches development football (not as much since season ticket holders have been banned from Sparrows Lane) I mainly agree.
    On Powell I have not been all that impressed personally, but I have heard good things about the unlucky Seydil Toure too. You also make a good point about Bakrin, his presence on the pitch tends to steady the ship.
    All I would say are there are other promising players in addition to those mentioned.
  • Options
    Thanks for the rundown Swisdom it is very welcome and helps someone like me that apart from the few games that have been streamed no nothing of the youth squads.
    1 question though if I can. Charlie Barker I really rated when he was drafted into the 1st team as an emergency but he really didnt look out of place imo and his distribution was far better than most of what we saw last season from the 1st team defenders. Has he gone downhill since or is he injured ?
  • Options
    He was out on loan at Wealdstone and then got injured IIRC.
  • Options
    I’d guess we’ll get an update on the offered contracts this week. Sadly I think Adigun will leave which is a shame but hopefully the rest will sign on.
  • Options
    Hope we do but in the past there’s never been an update, we’ve found during preseason when they start playing in friendlies.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh.
    Is there a reason to believe Adigun might leave?
    He is a very good prospect indeed.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    So we are still awaiting news on 7 youngsters whom have been offered contracts, all of whom seem well rated by people on here. 

Hope we get some positive news in the near future on some of these.  Top 3-4 below particularly seem very promising and I would love to see a Leaburn on The Valley pitch again one day but the longer it goes with no contract news....

Jason Adigun
    Tolu Ladapo
    Miles Leaburn
    Seydil Toure
    Euan Williams
    Mack Reilly
    Nathan Harvey

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Redhenry said:

Wassim - writing has been on the wall for a while.  Horrific luck with injuries and hasn't really shone on loan or when I've seen him.  Shame as I was really excited by him

Agyemang - barely seen him this season.  Only saw him a couple of times last year and thought he looked decent.  Combative and mobile.  

Appiah - Only ever  saw hm a couple of itimes off the bench and never saw anything that made me really notice him

Ghandour - Unfortunately never really pushed on.  Talented player and needs to step backwards to try to find his level or find his feet.  Probably end up back at Maidstone.  Good luck to him

Powell - I'm surprised.  First few times I saw him I was really excited by him but couldn't tell you his best position.  I wish him well as there is definitely a player in there and I would think he'll go on to play league football in the future.

Vennings - Seemingly in Aaron Henry's shadow.  Similar positionally and physique wise but not quite at the same level.  Did well at Bromley I think.

Whitling - Only saw a couple of times and wasn't hugely impressed tbh

Tyreece Campbell - last time I saw him he was on crutches.  Really hope he kicks on because he's blisteringly quick and has a crazy amount of potential

Dench - Not seen enough of him.  Tidy but needs to work on decision making

Adigun - Very important player but get the feeling there is an agent involved with him who is seeing ££££££.  Talented player and always busy but his form at the end of the season was some way short of his early season form

Ladapo - Unusual upright running position but deceptively quick.  Tricky but decision making could be better,  Hope he stays

Miles - For a big bugger he needs to use his strength a bit more intelligently for my liking.  At u18 he should bully all defenders but he often gets outmuscled because he's not nasty enough.  But then gives a daft foul away by fouling too blatantly.  He's a good player but needs another season with more U23 games to adjust his game a bit.  When it clicks he'll be a handful.  Only turned 18 in November I think so still got plenty of time....provided he signs up

Mack - Tough one to call here.  Can go both ways (inside or outside) which is a nice trait for a winger though not especially tricky - just direct.  End of season form didn't quite match early season.  Good eye for goal

Seydil Toure- Never seen him play but know he is highly rated.  Injuries have been awful and we've supported him throughout so I would hope he signs up and we get to see what he's about.

Bakrin - been saying for almost year I rate him almost as highly as Deji.  Good defender but maybe not as good on the ball as Deji

Gavin - Not seen much of him but like what I have seen.  Stocky pitbull of a player and definitely knows where the goal is.

Claydon = Exciting but lost his way a bit with the pressure I think.  Loan went quite well I think so deserves more time

Oguntayo - Barely seen for the season but when I saw him last season I liked him.  Tall and tricky for a full back but scored an absolute banger with his right foot in one game I saw.  Highly rated so glad he's got another year

O'Connor - Only returned fairly recently. Previously left as I believe his family relocated to Scotland but he's back now and settling in well.  

Surprised to see Harvey kept still as never been hugely impressed and he's a bit lively coming off his line...

O’Conner did relocate to Scotland with his family and was signed by Rangers.
  • Options
    Leaburn would be a disappointment as the club has given him opportunities. In April he’s; started U23s matches, travel with the first team squad to Rotherham, been on the bench for a home game. Those are promising milestone for any Yoof player. Throw in Burstow leaving and there is a real opportunity for him to kick on.