Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Fletcher (Depeche Mode) RIP

2»

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    No way. What a shit day for RIP’s

loved their stuff up to around Black Celebration. 

Probably need to give their later stuff a listen. 

RIP 
    You do mate. You stopped listening just before (subjectively) their best 3 studio albums: 'Music for the Masses', 'Violator', and 'Songs of Faith and Devotion'. ('Ultra' came next, another great album).

Give them a go and then venture onto their more recent stuff. 'Wrong' is a great track from 'Sounds of the Universe'.
    100% this. Music for the Masses, Violator and Ultra are superb. Even Spirit which is their latest album is a slight return to previous heights, in my humble opinion. Always found Songs of faith a little disjointed as an entire album but 'I feel you', 'walking in my shoes', 'higher love', 'judas' and 'condemnation' are quality. R.I.P Fletch.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

RIP 
    You do mate. You stopped listening just before (subjectively) their best 3 studio albums: 'Music for the Masses', 'Violator', and 'Songs of Faith and Devotion'. ('Ultra' came next, another great album).

Give them a go and then venture onto their more recent stuff. 'Wrong' is a great track from 'Sounds of the Universe'.
    100% this. Music for the Masses, Violator and Ultra are superb. Even Spirit which is their latest album is a slight return to previous heights, in my humble opinion. Always found Songs of faith a little disjointed as an entire album but 'I feel you', 'walking in my shoes', 'higher love', 'judas' and 'condemnation' are quality. R.I.P Fletch.
    You've made my evening, mate.

It's so invigorating to hear from music fans who get it, who are able to look beyond the stereotypical 'teenybop' era of Depeche, and who recognise and appreciate just how talented and impactful Depeche are.

I have literally 'dragged' folk along to a Depeche gig, who expect some sort of early 80s commemoration 'gig', but who then leave absolutely transformed and astounded at what they've just experienced. 

'Condemnation' is incredible, still proclaimed by Gahan as his best ever vocal. This theatrical adaptation of 'In Your Room' with Polunin is masterful.

https://youtu.be/zrMwdQesnn4

• Options
    This is indeed sad news as demonstrated by the comments posted on here beyond the usual RIP..

Only ever seen DM live once but have been a fan since the 80s.

I've also been to the Depeche Mode bar in Tallinn with the Violator carpet. Hopefully they're having a few beers for Fletch in there tonight. 
  • Options
    Just found this two days late.
    I've seen them live in London and Lyon.
    Horrible news. Don't know what else to say other than what's already been said.
    RIP.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

RIP 

It's so invigorating to hear from music fans who get it, who are able to look beyond the stereotypical 'teenybop' era of Depeche, and who recognise and appreciate just how talented and impactful Depeche are.

I have literally 'dragged' folk along to a Depeche gig, who expect some sort of early 80s commemoration 'gig', but who then leave absolutely transformed and astounded at what they've just experienced. 

'Condemnation' is incredible, still proclaimed by Gahan as his best ever vocal. This theatrical adaptation of 'In Your Room' with Polunin is masterful.

That video is incredible. Love that Zephyr mix version of 'In Your Room', too. Spot on about the 'teenybop' era of The Mode, too. Does my head in that so many people just think of 'Just can't get enough' when you mention your a massive fan of them. Still cannot believe Fletch won't be up there onstage clapping and fist-pumping behind his keyboard IF they ever tour again.
  • Options
    Kips said:
    This is indeed sad news as demonstrated by the comments posted on here beyond the usual RIP..

I've also been to the Depeche Mode bar in Tallinn with the Violator carpet. Hopefully they're having a few beers for Fletch in there tonight. 
    I was due to go to Tallin with a couple of mates a good few years ago, with the sole purpose of going to the Depeche bar.

All booked, rooms and flights, bloody RAF sent me to the Falklands instead!  :D. It's still on my 'to do' list.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

RIP 

That video is incredible. Love that Zephyr mix version of 'In Your Room', too. Spot on about the 'teenybop' era of The Mode, too. Does my head in that so many people just think of 'Just can't get enough' when you mention your a massive fan of them. Still cannot believe Fletch won't be up there onstage clapping and fist-pumping behind his keyboard IF they ever tour again.
    Ha, I so know that feeling mate. I've long since given up 'trying' to explain. I have had some who give Depeche's other material a go though (especially Black Celebration through to Ultra) and they genuinely are amazed at what they've been missing.

I am, of course, really biased though. And as you know, unless you're 'in it' you'll never truly 'get it'. There is something that is genuinely unique about being part of the Depeche 'fan base' (if you like). I've never experienced anything like it.

I'm so looking forward to new material and a tour celebrating Fletch's memory; I'm convinced it will happen. He was the gel that held them together (according to Gore, Depeche would not still exist if it wasn't for Fletch, they'd have not got through the 90s), and there is no way he'd want to be the reason for them to now split.

RIP Fletch 
  • Options
    Kips said:

I was due to go to Tallin with a couple of mates a good few years ago, with the sole purpose of going to the Depeche bar.

All booked, rooms and flights, bloody RAF sent me to the Falklands instead!  :D. It's still on my 'to do' list.
    Mate, we did Tallin last Christmas to visit it and the Christmas markets. Was fantastic! We also met 4 lovely young army lads from the UK there who had been posted there due to Putin's upcoming (then possible) antics. They thought it was a gay bar, initially!! :D A great couple of nights were spent there!

Let's hope they do tour. Think it'll be a final album/mini tour in tribute to Fletch, though. Tickets will be hard to get and hope I'm as lucky as was getting Barrowlands tickets pre-Spirit Tour in March 2017. R.I.P Fletch.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Death's Door is another one of their lesser known songs, this is a great version from the Devotional tour (1993) and sadly fitting for this week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLE3nrtf1Ag&lc=z232uj1qgxqxxxow004t1aokg2utesakbf1umvixlwsibk0h00410
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0017c24

Radio 2 the other night. Gary Davies tribute starts at about 20mins, followed by a 'master mix' of their 80s stuff. Really good.