Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

/What will be deemed a successful 22/23 season?

13»

Comments

• Options
    I was so convinced we would be promoted last season that I stuck a fair few quid on it so that shows how little I know. However I honestly think we do have the spine of a team that if managed correctly and with a few additions can challenge this season. It will be interesting to see if we keep the players that will I'm sure have interest like Dobson & CBT, stupidly I will go again with my bet this year and will probably lose again no doubt.
  • Options
    just 3 teams can get promoted, 1 of them via a bit of a lottery.

There are imo 4 (modern) bigger clubs than Charlton in the league:

Derby County
    Sheffield Wednesday 
    Ipswich Town
    Portsmouth

There are then a group that we probably sit alongside at present:

Bolton Wanderers
    Charlton Athletic
    Barnsley

And then there are others that were either clearly better than us last season, or will carry a higher budget / wage bill than us this season:

Oxford
    Wycombe
    Peterborough
    MK Dons
    Plymouth

So unfortunately we have no ‘given rights’ to do particularly well next season and expectations should be tempered. 

We are coming from a low base, we need to be in top 6 contention come January at a minimum and there should then be a reassessment of what’s realistic for the remainder of the season.

But outside of Top 6 will be a big disappointment next season. Trouble is looking at that list, there are fans of 10-12 clubs that will equally be saying the same. 

I don't agree that either of Ipswich or Portsmouth are bigger than us, especially the latter.
    As a neutral I’d say pompey are slightly bigger than charlton. They’ve won the FA cup in living memory and although your attendances are similar, theirs are genuine, where as Charlton’s have always been artificially inflated. 

Ipswich are a much bigger club than charlton. They regularly get over 25k for third tier football, even when they was playing poorly. 

Could even be argued that Bolton are bigger than charlton, going on attendances and recent history, although like Pompey theres not a lot in it. 

Teams ranked by number of Twitter followers (which is now the definitive measure of how big a club is):

Derby 377k
    Sheff Wed 344k
    Bolton 237k
    Ipswich 200k
    Charlton 180k
    Barnsley 165k
    Portsmouth 161k
    Millwall 147k

🤪
  • Options

Derby County
    Sheffield Wednesday 
    Ipswich Town
    Portsmouth

Bolton Wanderers
    Charlton Athletic
    Barnsley

And then there are others that were either clearly better than us last season, or will carry a higher budget / wage bill than us this season:

Oxford
    Wycombe
    Peterborough
    MK Dons
    Plymouth

So unfortunately we have no ‘given rights’ to do particularly well next season and expectations should be tempered. 

We are coming from a low base, we need to be in top 6 contention come January at a minimum and there should then be a reassessment of what’s realistic for the remainder of the season.

But outside of Top 6 will be a big disappointment next season. Trouble is looking at that list, there are fans of 10-12 clubs that will equally be saying the same. 

I don't agree that either of Ipswich or Portsmouth are bigger than us, especially the latter.
    As a neutral I’d say pompey are slightly bigger than charlton. They’ve won the FA cup in living memory and although your attendances are similar, theirs are genuine, where as Charlton’s have always been artificially inflated. 

Ipswich are a much bigger club than charlton. They regularly get over 25k for third tier football, even when they was playing poorly. 

Could even be argued that Bolton are bigger than charlton, going on attendances and recent history, although like Pompey theres not a lot in it. 

Teams ranked by number of Twitter followers (which is now the definitive measure of how big a club is):

Derby 377k
    Sheff Wed 344k
    Bolton 237k
    Ipswich 200k
    Charlton 180k
    Barnsley 165k
    Portsmouth 161k
    Millwall 147k

🤪
    That list is load of rubbish !! There isnt 147k Millwall supporters that have even heard of the internet yet !
  • Options
    AndyG said:

Derby County
    Sheffield Wednesday 
    Ipswich Town
    Portsmouth

Bolton Wanderers
    Charlton Athletic
    Barnsley

Oxford
    Wycombe
    Peterborough
    MK Dons
    Plymouth

Derby 377k
    Sheff Wed 344k
    Bolton 237k
    Ipswich 200k
    Charlton 180k
    Barnsley 165k
    Portsmouth 161k
    Millwall 147k

🤪
    That list is load of rubbish !! There isnt 147k Millwall supporters that have even heard of the internet yet !
    True. And the internet hasn’t been introduced to Barnsley yet 
  • Options
    Re: the gap we have to make up, it’s huge, and we’ve only got 

Mac
    Maynard Brewer

Clare
    Inniss
    Elewere
    Lavelle
    Purrington - maybe

JFC
    Fraser
    Dobson
    Gilbey
    Blackett Taylor
    Kirk
    Morgan
    DJ

Aneke
    Davison - maybe
    Stockley

I might have missed someone because we’ve got a lot of forgettable players.  Even with the players we released at the end of the season, we’ve still got a lot of mediocre faff.

I think any new manager will come in and probably struggle to add more midfielders based on how many we have without getting rid of some.  That may be Kirk, but then again, whoever coming in might fancy him.  I’m not confident that midfield is capable.  

The defence needs major work, and the forwards don’t convince me they’re capable of replicating a Lyle Taylor, Kermorgant, BWP, Bent, Hunt or a Mendonca.

At the moment, given all the uncertainty, it looks like unless we have very high quality additions, we’ll all be crying down the Oak with TS 
  • Options
    For a team of our size only promotion will do and if our U18's and U16s are as good as people think it would be the only way we stand any chance of keeping some and building upwards/getting proper fees if they leave.
  • Options
    The bar is so low with anything Charlton that even giving me the feeling I want to go and watch Charlton on a Saturday would be an improvement on last year. 
    Don’t give a single shit about promotion next year. Said it last year league will become harder and harder to get out of. If we somehow manage to show at least some signs that the squad is developing and growing together then that would be a success for me. 

Genuine question for anyone that thinks we should be getting promotion next year; do you really believe a team squad that needs probably the biggest surgery/overhaul it’s seen in recent years, with no manager appointed as yet, will be in a position to challenge for promotion next season or is it just true Charlton optimism? 
  • Options
    There is no success in this shithouse division, just relief to get away from it and the shameful pizza making competition .
    Every season down here (9th in 14 next season) is a sapping of our football league status and credentials .
    Of our 2 rivals,  the scum we have sneered at for years due to their own shitness being well below us and being a third/second tier team and now they’re a pretty solid second tier team 
    the other one are a solid top flight team having always been second/top tier and close to us in the footballing pyramid .
    we were a solid second tier with some top tier action and are now firmly ensconced as the worst of the SE London triumvirate 
    make no mistake we are living a footballing nightmare 
    I’m sick of this shitty league , get me out of here 
  • Options
    As I have said before, we managed to get promoted and exist as a Championship club whilst the Belgian one was in the hot seat. Despite everything that was going on at the time.

Tommy and Mart have no excuses this year. I’m not interested in songs, guitars, going down the pub.

Its promotion. End of.

And if that’s achieved - he can write as many songs as he wants and employ the entire extended Sandgaard family as far as I’m concerned.

Just get us out of this league. There can be no other barometer for success. 
  • Options
    As I have said before, we managed to get promoted and exist as a Championship club whilst the Belgian one was in the hot seat. Despite everything that was going on at the time.

Tommy and Mart have no excuses this year. I’m not interested in songs, guitars, going down the pub.

Its promotion. End of.

And if that’s achieved - he can write as many songs as he wants and employ the entire extended Sandgaard family as far as I’m concerned.

Just get us out of this league. There can be no other barometer for success. 
    Yes, agree with this.  I’m not hopeful of promotion to be honest, but if it’s another turgid season, lock the guitar up, and sit quietly and endure the misery like the rest of us.  No more superfluous crap.  If we’re top of the league by March and several points clear, storming to the league championship, then he can record a remake of any bloody song he wants imo and use the valley to hold his own concert in.

until then, focus on the football and only the football - I don’t want to be mid table in late Feb and see some sort of ad hoc get together in the Oak after 1-1 draw with Shrewsbury 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anything less than a genuine promotion challenge will be another failure.
    I might add, I do not want to be approaching the January window desperate for significant additions/amendments to the squad.
  • Options

Derby County
    Sheffield Wednesday 
    Ipswich Town
    Portsmouth

Bolton Wanderers
    Charlton Athletic
    Barnsley

Oxford
    Wycombe
    Peterborough
    MK Dons
    Plymouth

I agree. Portsmouth recently had a four year spell in League Two don't forget. Bolton were recently there too.

We don't have some special protection against going there ourselves and it's not being sensationalist to suggest it's a real danger.

I have absolutely zero confidence in the management of the club, in fact I really don't think there's a worse run club in our division, is there?  If sensible ownership alone won matches then we'd be losing to Forest Green 10-0. Fortunately I think we might avoid relegation for just one more year as we have three or four good enough players left.
  • Options
    promotion by whatever method achievess it .. including bribing match officials (just jesting  o:)}