Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

French Open Tennis

2»

Comments

• Options
    Another totally one sided ladies final,how on earth do the ladies justify the same money as the men.I can look back over the last 2 weeks,every day there was a mens match that was exciting,competetive,many exceeding 3 hours loads over 4,how many ladies games reached half of that.
  • Options
    Another totally one sided ladies final,how on earth do the ladies justify the same money as the men.I can look back over the last 2 weeks,every day there was a mens match that was exciting,competetive,many exceeding 3 hours loads over 4,how many ladies games reached half of that.
    it's called 'equality' .. the last thing we need is naked young ladies invading the courts in protest during Grand Slam tournaments  B)
  • Options
    A fair point but right now Swiatek is in a league of her own so it's no surprise the final was one sided.

In any case, the mens final was no better. Nadal has just absolutely destroyed Casper Rudd 6-3 6-3 6-0.

His 22nd grand slam and a remarkable 14th French Open.
  • Options

French Open champion Rafael Nadal says he "doesn't want to keep playing" if he continues to need anaesthetic injections to numb chronic foot pain. Nadal, 36, won his record-extending 14th title at Roland Garros having "no feeling" in his left foot.

The Spaniard had multiple injections during a tournament where he won a 22nd Grand Slam title on Sunday.

"It's obvious with the circumstances that I am playing, I can't and I don't want to keep going," said Nadal.

Nadal suffers from Mueller-Weiss syndrome - a rare degenerative condition that affects bones in the feet - and was limping at the Italian Open just 10 days before Roland Garros began.

"I have been playing with injections on the nerves to numb the foot and that's why I was able to play during these two weeks. I have no feelings in my foot, because my doctor was able to put anaesthetic injections on the nerves. That takes out the feeling on my foot."

"I'm going to be in Wimbledon if my body is ready to be in Wimbledon. That's it. Wimbledon is not a tournament that I want to miss. I think nobody wants to miss Wimbledon. I love Wimbledon. If I am able to play with anti-inflammatories, yes; to play with anaesthetic injections, no. I don't want to put myself in that position again."

Nadal said he would soon have radiofrequency ablation - which uses heat on the nerve to quell long-term pain - but would have to consider surgery if that treatment did not provide a sufficient solution.

"If that works, I am going to keep going. If that doesn't work, then it is going to be another story. Then I will have to ask myself if I am ready to do a major surgery that doesn't guarantee me to be able to be competitive again and could take a long time to be back."

• Options
    A fair point but right now Swiatek is in a league of her own so it's no surprise the final was one sided.

In any case, the mens final was no better. Nadal has just absolutely destroyed Casper Rudd 6-3 6-3 6-0.

I thought the final was quite competetive until Nadal went up a gear then of course on clay only one outcome.My comments dont only refer to the final,the ladies game is littered in the early rounds with matches often not reaching the hour mark,whereby the mens usually reach 2 and half,but there you go.Nice to see Billie Jean King present the trophy,she was a player who was worth the money.
  • Options

I thought the final was quite competetive until Nadal went up a gear then of course on clay only one outcome.My comments dont only refer to the final,the ladies game is littered in the early rounds with matches often not reaching the hour mark,whereby the mens usually reach 2 and half,but there you go.Nice to see Billie Jean King present the trophy,she was a player who was worth the money.
    I wonder how much time the women train on average compare to the men. I can't see any reason for the women to play 5 sets but their matches are far shorter and less competitive overall, so equal prize money seems unfair in many ways. Even men's matches that are only 3 sets, last a lot longer.

The Gauff v Stephens match was great, competitive tennis and v entertaining, but in my experience that is often not the case.

Do the US Women's football team get paid the same as their men now? As things currently are, I don't see any justification for that in the UK, in the same way that not all players at a club get paid the same (although I do expect them to play when being paid by the club if they aren't injured and are picked!!!!)
  • Options

I wonder how much time the women train on average compare to the men. I can't see any reason for the women to play 5 sets but their matches are far shorter and less competitive overall, so equal prize money seems unfair in many ways. Even men's matches that are only 3 sets, last a lot longer.

The Gauff v Stephens match was great, competitive tennis and v entertaining, but in my experience that is often not the case.

Do the US Women's football team get paid the same as their men now? As things currently are, I don't see any justification for that in the UK, in the same way that not all players at a club get paid the same (although I do expect them to play when being paid by the club if they aren't injured and are picked!!!!)
    They do - 90% of any prize money and commercial revenue from the respective WCs will be split equally between the squads. Part of the other 10% goes to grass roots football but that, in itself, is very low when compared to the amount designated by other countries to that cause.
  • Options
    Equal pay in tennis is simply bizarre. Fair enough pay them the same i've no issue with that, but then surely have females play best of 5 sets at grand slams as well.

Equal pay for equal value of work.
  • Options
    Yeah and in the Olympics give the women medals that have less gold in them as they don’t run as fast or throw as far as the men. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Yeah and in the Olympics give the women medals that have less gold in them as they don’t run as fast or throw as far as the men. 
    Not the same comparison
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    the prize money is for being the best woman in the tournament. 

Not for how long you play 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    the prize money is for being the best woman in the tournament. 

Not for how long you play 
    The level of tennis/competition is being discussed too, not just how long they play for (over successive matches). 

Do you think the Charlton Women's team should be paid the same as the men's team?
  • Options
    Tennis is similar to a major athletics meeting(I.E.Olymoics,World championships.)You buy your  tickets well in advance and really do not know who you are going to see hence the equal prize money.if I people had a choice of paying the same money to watch ladies or mens tennis,I guarantee the mens would be over subscribed and the womens under attended.Unless you could watch the top players.Other womens sports,golf football,rugby have nowhere near the spectator interest that the mens game has,and consequently the players are paid accordingly.
    If tennis tournaments where played by gender,e.g. Wimbledon for men and Wimbledon for women,would the attendancies be equal ,thereby justifying the same money.

• Options
    "If tennis tournaments where played by gender,e.g. Wimbledon for men and Wimbledon for women,would the attendancies be equal ,thereby justifying the same money."

Yes. Which is why Tennis is the only sport where woman expect and receive equal prize money.