Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Minimum age for smoking...

13»

Comments

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Minimum age for drinking to be increased by one year, every year.

No one sensible can think it's a bad idea. 

Just a thought. 

As a sometime smoker but a tea total drinker, I couldn't agree more.

Never quite understood why alcohol is considered perfectly fine, appreciate there's the passive element to smoking although that has mostly been eradicated since 2007, but drink causes far more health (and social) problems and always has. 
    If alcohol was discovered today, it would 100% be illegal. 
    Once something is legal, you cannot make it illegal.

Which is why I think legalising recreational cannabis and other malicious drugs is a very poor idea.
    Hungerford - assault weapons
    Dunblane - handguns
  • Options
    Any smokers on here done a calculator thing prompted by this thread and apparently I’ve smoked 47,656 cigs costing just over 25k. I try not to smoke too often now but as soon as a pint is in my hand a cig closely follows 
  • Options
    I've never smoked in my life but I have  what the doctor call a smokers lung.
    30 years in the Fire brigade probably explains that.
    What I find hard to understand is why people like my sister in law who absolutely hated smoking suddenly started smoking in her 40s. 
    Knowing what it does to your health she must be bonkers. 
    Can’t get my head around that starting smoking in your 40s. Always assumed that if you avoided smoking when you were teenagers then you just never started. I can’t be the only person on here who doesn’t actually know anyone who smokes regularly.
  • Options
    I know a couple of people who smoke a bit but are 100% of the time trying not to. I don’t know anyone who fully smokes.
  • Options
    Haven't they done this elsewhere? New Zealand ?
    18 is the minimum age for vaping and smoking in NZ.  It is planned to have only 5% of Kiwis smoking by 2025 down from about 16% last year.  Smoking among Māori is much higher (over 30%) and among the lower socioeconomic classes.
  • Options
    Ban cigarettes and alcohol. Voila! 

If we can all buy into how our carbon footprint effects ourselves and others I am sure we can all buy into how alcohol and cigarettes are harmful to ourselves and others too. 

"... But that's punishing those responsible folk who just have a tipple at Christmas and weddings and a social fag here and there". 

Yes, but this small sacrifice will be very good for others. Very good for us all. 

• Options
    Any smokers on here done a calculator thing prompted by this thread and apparently I’ve smoked 47,656 cigs costing just over 25k. I try not to smoke too often now but as soon as a pint is in my hand a cig closely follows 
    bloody hell, just worked mine out! From age of 18 to 50 I smoked 20 a day, thats 233,600 cigs,  thats over 11,000 packets at roughly £7 a go =£81, 760! Fook me!
    Gave up 5 years ago but still no richer :[
  • Options
    I smoke, outside, away from people, i make an effort to stand apart from anyone that doesn't like it, I don't have to justify my reasons for smoking any more than the lunatics that consume their body weight in booze or cannot function without a gallon of coffee every morning or the people that eat 3 mcdonalds a day because they never learned to cook and are the size of a house. All three examples are doing extreme damage to their hearts, but apparently that's all good. 

If you think making it illegal will make a difference then you're in for a shock, I know more weed smokers than cigarettes.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Just a thought. 

Never quite understood why alcohol is considered perfectly fine, appreciate there's the passive element to smoking although that has mostly been eradicated since 2007, but drink causes far more health (and social) problems and always has. 

Which is why I think legalising recreational cannabis and other malicious drugs is a very poor idea.
    Are you high? 

Loads of things used to be legal then made illegal, I’d love to know how you can to the conclusion it can’t happen. 

Personally I’d legalise all drugs, regulate and tax them. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Just a thought. 

Smoking in offices and even on planes used to be legal.
    Using a mobile phone whilst driving.
    Owning a pit bull terrier.
    I think even many years ago you could ride a motorbike without a crash helmet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cautiously thinking it’s a good idea.  On first glance it’s hard not to think that particularly if you’re a non-smoker.  But then you can apply the same logic to alcohol and I’m thinking it’s a bad idea because I like a pint.

For smoking though, there is the alternative of vaping, which we’re lead to believe isn’t as bad for you.
  • Options
    Cautiously thinking it’s a good idea.  On first glance it’s hard not to think that particularly if you’re a non-smoker.  But then you can apply the same logic to alcohol and I’m thinking it’s a bad idea because I like a pint.

For smoking though, there is the alternative of vaping, which we’re lead to believe isn’t as bad for you.
    Speaking to a doctor about this a year or so ago, he shared the view that Vaping wasn't quite as bad as smoking cigarettes - However! He did say that the main problem with Vaping is the amount of intake. With a cigarette you know when it's finished/how many you've had. The larger concern with vaping is that people are really smoking the equivalent of 60+ a day in many instances all be it at a lesser nicotine level mostly.
  • Options
    Passed a school kid about 8am this morning puffing away, about 14 I’d guess. Either pinching off his parents or someone buying for him. How the hell can a kid afford fags nowadays?

Think the gradual raising of age would be a fantastic suggestion. The majority of people who start smoking in the first place is due to peer pressure, wanting to look older etc. If that gradually gets taken away over time then that will reduce the amount starting for that reason. 

Equally just banning it would have a big impact on tax income, so a gradual change will absorb this change much more easily.

My last fag was about 9 years ago. It feels far longer than that and it’s one of my biggest regrets that I never managed to give up much earlier. 
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    WSS said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Just a thought. 

Eh? Loads of things which were legal are now illegal. Like smoking in pubs.
    WSS said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Just a thought. 

Eh? Loads of things which were legal are now illegal. Like smoking in pubs.
    Pooing in swimming pools. 

Edit: Sorry wrong thread
    I didn’t know Michael Barrymore was a Charlton fan. 
  • Options
    I smoke, outside, away from people, i make an effort to stand apart from anyone that doesn't like it, I don't have to justify my reasons for smoking any more than the lunatics that consume their body weight in booze or cannot function without a gallon of coffee every morning or the people that eat 3 mcdonalds a day because they never learned to cook and are the size of a house. All three examples are doing extreme damage to their hearts, but apparently that's all good. 

If you think making it illegal will make a difference then you're in for a shock, I know more weed smokers than cigarettes.
    It’s all about changing public perception. Not too many years ago people having a few beers and then driving home was barely frowned upon. Now you are quite rightly a pariah. The fewer people that smoke then the fewer will want to start smoking. Eventually in first world countries it will fade out. Of course there will always be idiots who start because of mixed up ideas about rebellion or some such but I have no doubt it will steadily decline. Any legislation that speeds up that process is fine with me. Working in cancer services for thirty years taught me everything I need to know about cigarettes. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Passed a school kid about 8am this morning puffing away, about 14 I’d guess. Either pinching off his parents or someone buying for him. How the hell can a kid afford fags nowadays?

Think the gradual raising of age would be a fantastic suggestion. The majority of people who start smoking in the first place is due to peer pressure, wanting to look older etc. If that gradually gets taken away over time then that will reduce the amount starting for that reason. 

Equally just banning it would have a big impact on tax income, so a gradual change will absorb this change much more easily.

My last fag was about 9 years ago. It feels far longer than that and it’s one of my biggest regrets that I never managed to give up much earlier. 
    when i was at school, with £2 for my lunch i could get 10 fags and a chip butty

i think thats also the appeal of vaping, they cost fuck all and you dont stink of fags when you go home

• Options

It certainly does that for you:

• Options
    good idea ..  BUT are 13/14/15/16/ year olds, indeed anyone under the prescribed age going to be 'criminalised' for smoking tobacco in an era when cannabis use is gradually being de-criminalised ? ..
     the best way to really discourage tobacco smoking is for it to become even more socially taboo and uncool, especially amongst youngsters
  • Options
    good idea ..  BUT are 13/14/15/16/ year olds, indeed anyone under the prescribed age going to be 'criminalised' for smoking tobacco in an era when cannabis use is gradually being de-criminalised ? ..
     the best way to really discourage tobacco smoking is for it to become even more socially taboo and uncool, especially amongst youngsters
    I think the suggestion is to make it illegal to sell to specific age groups. So the 'criminalisation' would be on the seller, rather than the buyer. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    I think the suggestion is to make it illegal to sell to specific age groups. So the 'criminalisation' would be on the seller, rather than the buyer. 
    As it is now.