Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Conor McGrandles signs a three year deal+++

Comments

• Options
    He may have had plenty of stick, but TBF he has been under-performing ever since he got here and a top 6 side can’t carry passengers. 
    Well done for the goal, but he is still a dozen solid performances away from break even. 

Conor have only just reached 10 games for Cafc so he hasn't had the games to get any consistency. He played 19 games for Cambridge and started to play decent.

With Camará and Taylor out injured we need McGrandles to be ready to join the action.
  • Options
    Hope he starts against Cray and Sutton to build some match fitness to be able to show more of what he can bring to the party in league matches 
    The only positive of the Cray Valley result (bar the fact we didn't lose...) is players like McGrandles may get some very useful minutes.

I still hope/think he can do well here - it was good the reports from Cambridge were very positive, compare that to people like Kirk, Jaiyesimi etc who the loan clubs and their fans seemed very happy to send back.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Good to see him get minutes and have the best impact possible. Hope a fresh start for him, the stronger the team the better. More options in midfield can only help the team.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Couldn’t he just enjoy scoring an injury time equaliser against the team top of the league? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good job he didn’t do a Sammy Nelson or a Mark Aizlewood
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I don't know about what's been said on social media other than what is said on here - don't think he has had it that bad really, lots of people in pre season saying he deserves a chance, but then he goes and gets himself injured again - yet again look at the reaction to him today - lots of people pleased for him, hoping he can now crack on - Charlie Kirk could score a hat trick and people would still want him to do one.

Chuks has had a lot of shit flung at him for injuries but he doesn't feel the need to be a diva to the fans when he scores.

If CM wants to knuckle down and contribute to the team then cool, but if he doesn't wanna be here then he can do one and MA should be making that very clear to him if he hasn't already.

Everyone keeps saying about attitudes in the dressing room being off and to me someone with an attitude like that today is part and parcel of it. 
    Comments like this are exactly why he didn’t dive into the fans. If you’ve seen the comments on here then there’s no way you can say he hasn’t had it that bad. He’s been injured almost his entire Charlton career which isn’t his fault and yet there’s a running shit nickname competition for him. McShambles is a popular one, some genius poster used to regularly cal him McCrappy which isn’t even good. He’s been written off on here for the last year. Then you say he ‘got himself injured’ as if that’s his own doing and not a devastating setback for him. He’s barely played, unlike Kirk, and if you look at his player marks and a lot of the comments from the Cray game he was marked down just for being McGrandles even when he actually had a fairly decent first game back from injury. He saves us a point, keeps his celebration understated and suddenly you’re accusing him of having a bad attitude and saying he can do one. He’s a ‘diva’ apparently. I don’t think it’s him who’s the problem
    Wow talk about misrepresent what I said.

I didn't accuse him of having a bad attitude and say he can do one for a start -

I repeat -  IF he doesn't want to be here then he can do one - because someone with an attitude like that is bad for the dressing room - key word IF - and that is something for MA to deal with.

Unless you think having players in the dressing room that don't want to be here is somehow a good thing for the team?

I will correct the wording of "he got himself injured" as I wasn't trying to say that he somehow did it on purpose as that would be ridiculous and wasn't how I meant that to sound - the point wasn't about the injury anyway it was the fact that people wanted to give him a chance in pre season but you are just convieniently ignoring that bit.

I stand by what I said he hasn't had it as bad on here as a few other players - Aneke and Kirk for starters, who have also had shit nicknames and critisisms in a far more sustained way, but I guess that is just a matter of opinion. 

Also the implication was not that he kept the celebration understated - people have already commented that the reaction was interpreted as an F you to the fans - he could have just jogged back to the centre circle if he wanted to keep it muted but to me it looked in that clip like he was almost going to front up to the fans and then turned around stopping himself - thats a big difference to what you're saying - watch it back - that is not a muted celebration its a fuck you.

• Options
    edited November 2023
    A footballers career is short and when you spend a chunk of it injured, even shorter. 

You come on, score a late leveller against top of the table, I am not sure why you wouldn't go batshit crazy and celebrate with fans or team mates... but each to their own. He scored, he beat their goalie at his near post; it was awesome after the crap their goalie had done.

Good luck to McG; I couldn't understand the miserly comments about him when his lack of game time was based on injuries and he always seemed motivated and 100% effort when playing.  That said, I also didn't see much negative stuff on him but then, I don't use twitter etc.

Whilst on the subject of goal scoring celebrations, anyone else think Kamara when he scored Pompey's first, ran as far away from any Pompey fan as he could get; I thought he might try to sneak out the corner. 🤣
  • Options
    Out of interest has anyone actually gone back and read through a few previous pages of this thread - plenty of posts saying he has been unlucky with injuries, we haven't seen the best of him etc etc - I thought he has had 18 months of pelters from loads of people - but just not on the thread dedicated to him?

• Options
    edited November 2023
    All he can do is prove the doubters wrong. I couldn't care less about his goal celebration. There was nothing wrong with his attitude in contributing on the pitch, or that of the team today by all accounts. That's all that matters. I'm happy for him.
  • Options
    Out of interest has anyone actually gone back and read through a few previous pages of this thread - plenty of posts saying he has been unlucky with injuries, we haven't seen the best of him etc etc - I thought he has had 18 months of pelters from loads of people - but just not on the thread dedicated to him?

Do you really need it? Go and read today’s match thread from when he was subbed on, before he scored… Hang on let me go fetch some tweets as well…
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I even found something from today’s match thread for you

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/5122771/#Comment_5122771
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Bloke’s been injured a lot, which is not his fault and he shouldn’t be criticised for, but he has also been crap to uninspiring in the few games he’s played for us. Despite having only about 5 mates in this world, I weirdly, and genuinely, have a mate who is a Lincoln fan and a cousin who is a Cambridge fan. Both of them told me McGrandles is alright but certainly neither “raved” about him. 

There’s idiots at every club, almost always most noticeably on twitter, who will go massively over the top with any criticism of individuals, but, on the whole, McGrandles has not been harshly treated by Charlton fans. 

I hope this is the springboard for him and we start to see him making more of an impact. Don’t be surprised if he’s injured vs Cray and we don’t see him again for 4 months… just seems to be the way it tends to go for us at these days. 
  • Options
    Didn’t want to celebrate no wonder when some of our fans booed when came on…feel for the bloke
  • Options
    Stewart said:
    Couldn’t he just enjoy scoring an injury time equaliser against the team top of the league? 
    Clearly not. Only saw it.on highlights but never seen that before. Footballers, we are led to believe live to score goals. From his reaction there I'd say he seems really unhappy. That looked like it could.even be some kind of cry for help in the circumstances. I found it worying tbh, and would put all football related aspects aside to try to understand where his head is at.
  • Options
    Stewart said:
    Clearly not. Only saw it.on highlights but never seen that before. Footballers, we are led to believe live to score goals. From his reaction there I'd say he seems really unhappy. That looked like it could.even be some kind of cry for help in the circumstances. I found it worying tbh, and would put all football related aspects aside to try to understand where his head is at.
    If just say he’s pissed off at some of the criticism he’s got online even though he’s been injured most of the time and quite rightly so . Nothing more than that . 
  • Options
    I'm happy for the boy and that he scores that goal. Hopefully things will go better for him from here at Charlton. 

If true I think it is very petty when you choose not to celebrate in front of 2,000 fans. Because user4782 says something on Twitter, Instagram or Charltonlife that you don't like. Come on.
  • Options
    Didn’t want to celebrate no wonder when some of our fans booed when came on…feel for the bloke
    Boooooing works 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I'm happy for the boy and that he scores that goal. Hopefully things will go better for him from here at Charlton. 

If true I think it is very petty when you choose not to celebrate in front of 2,000 fans. Because user4782 says something on Twitter, Instagram or Charltonlife that you don't like. Come on.
    If user4782 was alone I might agree, but there are plenty of them out there. You know it, and so does he, and whether fans think the critisism is fair or not, if he doesn't, then he won't be happy. Who would be?

I still haven't decided what to make of him because he's not had many opportunities so far and no long run in the team. I can't usually judge on a few minutes here and there personally, and think others who do are either very smart or incredibly stupid.

Now he's fit and under Appleton who likes him, I'm guessing he'll feature more and hopefully he can show those who've made up their minds that he's no good for us why we bought him in the first place.
  • Options
    It is only a week ago he was subbed off against a team of part timers so I'm not getting too excited just yet 

Hopefully this goal can kick start his career here and he stays injury free