Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shinzo Abe - Assassinated.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Truly shocking news. Gun crime in Japan is lower than in the UK and this happened in front of a crowd of people. 
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    RIP.

Why was he so unpopular in China?
    He was critical of China gearing up to invade Taiwan and of the US not having a stance. 
    Sorry but no, that's oversimplifying it.

Chunes said:
    RIP.

According to my wife (who is from Hong Kong), previous Prime Ministers had not visited the controversial Yasukinu shrine that honoured Japanese soldiers killed in WWII. Abe broke this and used to visit the temple. There is a lot of animosity between China and Japan, particularly over the rape of Nanking.
    Yes this. That was like Merkle paying visit to Hitler's grave - it was simply unacceptable action. The pure existence of Yasukinu shrine is something that we cannot accept. Can you imagine honouring the likes of Hitler, Goring, Heydrich? ....... Abe's right-wing family back-ground, right-wing policies and particularly attitude towards war criminals in WWII were what made many Chinese people hate him.
    I’d actually say it would be worse, Germany accepts what it does and teaches in school about the atrocities the committed. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    seth plum said:
    There is a morphic memory of the behaviour of Japanese forces in China around and during WW2.
    Any reaction in China or elsewhere that isn’t horrified that a bloke gets assassinated this way is wrong.
    It may be that approval can be explained, but the approval can’t be excused.
    RIP.
    One only has to Google The Siege of Nanking to understand the hatred……it was utterly unforgivable, the word horrendous doesn’t even begin to describe the barbarity shown by the Japanese military..……medieval torturous style atrocities carried out with unabated relish, killing hundreds of thousands of the civilian population during a six week period in 1937.
    I have always thought that someway along the line, the Chinese will pay them back somehow or another,  the hatred is deeply engrained in their psyche…….quite understandable under the circumstances.
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    RIP.

He was critical of China gearing up to invade Taiwan and of the US not having a stance. 
    Sorry but no, that's oversimplifying it.

Chunes said:
    RIP.

According to my wife (who is from Hong Kong), previous Prime Ministers had not visited the controversial Yasukinu shrine that honoured Japanese soldiers killed in WWII. Abe broke this and used to visit the temple. There is a lot of animosity between China and Japan, particularly over the rape of Nanking.
    Yes this. That was like Merkle paying visit to Hitler's grave - it was simply unacceptable action. The pure existence of Yasukinu shrine is something that we cannot accept. Can you imagine honouring the likes of Hitler, Goring, Heydrich? ....... Abe's right-wing family back-ground, right-wing policies and particularly attitude towards war criminals in WWII were what made many Chinese people hate him.
    I’d actually say it would be worse, Germany accepts what it does and teaches in school about the atrocities the committed. 
    Japan has issued various apologies and have committed themselves to peace, but the names in the Yasukuni shrine do make a mockery of the apologies.
  • Options
    May I say for absence of doubt that even if some reaction can be explained, any relish over this terrible event can’t be excused.
    To me, any decent thinking person would be horrified and outraged.
    Rest in peace Shinzo.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    There is a morphic memory of the behaviour of Japanese forces in China around and during WW2.
    Any reaction in China or elsewhere that isn’t horrified that a bloke gets assassinated this way is wrong.
    RIP.
    One only has to Google The Siege of Nanking to understand the hatred……it was utterly unforgivable, the word horrendous doesn’t even begin to describe the barbarity shown by the Japanese military..……medieval torturous style atrocities carried out with unabated relish, killing hundreds of thousands of the civilian population during a six week period in 1937.
    I have always thought that someway along the line, the Chinese will pay them back somehow or another,  the hatred is deeply engrained in their psyche…….quite understandable under the circumstances.
    iirc ww2 was only like the latest episode of japan being absolutely horrible to the chinese population.
  • Options
    This is absolutely unbelievable. RIP.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    RIP.
    iirc ww2 was only like the latest episode of japan being absolutely horrible to the chinese population.
    And Korean. Absolutely horrible is being extremely polite.
  • Options
    Truly shocking news. Gun crime in Japan is lower than in the UK and this happened in front of a crowd of people. 
    What shocked me was how he casually walked up and pulled out his weapon, I know Abe wasn’t a serving politician, but surely an ex pm should have better security. 
  • Options
    I suppose it is something that doesn't happen there normally.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Truly shocking and mental in nara of all places such a peaceful town
  • Options
    What shocked me was how he casually walked up and pulled out his weapon, I know Abe wasn’t a serving politician, but surely an ex pm should have better security. 
    Gun possession and violence is so low in Japan, I imagine they and he thought the risk was incredibly low

A shocking incident, RIP.
  • Options
    RIP a thoroughly decent man and friend of the US.
    A sad sad day for Japan, democracy, and the world.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Needs to go to the HOC site.
  • Options
    RIP.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    RIP.

No

Chunes said:
    RIP.

Yes. 

seth plum said:
    RIP. A terrible act and if a state wants to rejoice in an assisination, it tells you all you need to know about them.
    Are you suggesting the Chinese state as represented by the authorities are rejoicing in an assassination? I would be interested in seeing evidence of that.
    As for something telling somebody ‘all you need to know’, really?

Check the bbc, they have evidence of state backed broadcasters doing exactly that. 
    I will check the BBC.

Edit.

I have scrolled the three BBC pages, but have not found anything about Chinese state backed media on there.
    I have looked elsewhere and found several references to Chinese social media.

Checking the BBC for facts?! I've not heard anything so ludicrous in years. 50 years ago, yes perhaps it would have been a fairly reasonable place to look (for reliable journalism) The BBC is completely finished. It is a tragedy that people STILL look to the BBC. As Nigel Rees said when walking away from the cabal last year. 'There is nothing left of the corporation. It is simply a mouthpiece for a woke agenda. No-one watches the BBC anymore. And the world has long since stopped respecting it for true, reliable journalism'. It's the pits actually. Rees didn't go far enough. 

If of course you have sold your soul to the tragic woke religion then presumably the BBC has never been better! Only you will know that. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    RIP.

No

Chunes said:
    RIP.

Yes. 

seth plum said:
    RIP. A terrible act and if a state wants to rejoice in an assisination, it tells you all you need to know about them.
    Are you suggesting the Chinese state as represented by the authorities are rejoicing in an assassination? I would be interested in seeing evidence of that.

Check the bbc, they have evidence of state backed broadcasters doing exactly that. 
    I will check the BBC.

Edit.

I have scrolled the three BBC pages, but have not found anything about Chinese state backed media on there.

Checking the BBC for facts?! I've not heard anything so ludicrous in years. 50 years ago, yes perhaps it would have been a fairly reasonable place to look (for reliable journalism) The BBC is completely finished. It is a tragedy that people STILL look to the BBC. As Nigel Rees said when walking away from the cabal last year. 'There is nothing left of the corporation. It is simply a mouthpiece for a woke agenda. No-one watches the BBC anymore. And the world has long since stopped respecting it for true, reliable journalism'. It's the pits actually. Rees didn't go far enough. 

If of course you have sold your soul to the tragic woke religion then presumably the BBC has never been better! Only you will know that. 
    You are right.  Can you recommend a suitable news source as an alternative that meets your definition of "reliable journalism"?  PS GB news doesn't count, obvs.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    RIP.

No

Chunes said:
    RIP.

Yes. 

seth plum said:

I will check the BBC.

Edit.

If you read back you will see resident of China @Stu_of_Kunming who advised me to check the BBC, which is what I did and reported on.
    If politely following @Stu_of_Kunming's advice means to you that I have sold my soul to the tragic woke religion then so be it. To me it was about not waving away the suggestion of another poster.
  • Options
    Not gonna post an actual link, but….
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Always a shock to hear of something like this happening.

It just feels like the world, on every conceivable fulcrum, is monumentally fucked at the moment.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    RIP.

No

Chunes said:
    RIP.

Yes. 

seth plum said:

I will check the BBC.

Edit.

You are right.  Can you recommend a suitable news source as an alternative that meets your definition of "reliable journalism"?  PS GB news doesn't count, obvs.
    I think this question came up a few times in a thread some months ago. Foolishly, the bait tricked me and I gave an honest answer. I've long since learned that giving 'honest answers' is exactly what 'cancel culture' loves to prise out of people. Then all the (((yawn))) derogatory accusations of: 'racist, homophobe, sexist, ageist, transphobe' takes over. And it's game over. No discussion. Totalitarian bliss.  

Without listing endless places 'that are reliable journalism' for the reasons just stated above, I would say that in most cases, having faith tends to lead you to such reliable places. The intellect isn't dimmed and therefore always open and receptive to what is true and right. And that which is utter bs is so obvious and clear and thus avoided. I cannot believe there is anyone with faith that E V E R turns to the BBC for reliable journalism any longer. It is on a par with the Daily Express. Utter garbage. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    RIP.

No

Chunes said:
    RIP.

Yes. 

seth plum said:

I will check the BBC.

Edit.

I think this question came up a few times in a thread some months ago. Foolishly, the bait tricked me and I gave an honest answer. I've long since learned that giving 'honest answers' is exactly what 'cancel culture' loves to prise out of people. Then all the (((yawn))) derogatory accusations of: 'racist, homophobe, sexist, ageist, transphobe' takes over. And it's game over. No discussion. Totalitarian bliss.  

Without listing endless places 'that are reliable journalism' for the reasons just stated above, I would say that in most cases, having faith tends to lead you to such reliable places. The intellect isn't dimmed and therefore always open and receptive to what is true and right. And that which is utter bs is so obvious and clear and thus avoided. I cannot believe there is anyone with faith that E V E R turns to the BBC for reliable journalism any longer. It is on a par with the Daily Express. Utter garbage. 
    That'll be a 'no' then.

Priti Patel's Facebook page? Nadine Dorries' TikTok?

Completely inappropriate of you to be spouting this utter horse shit on a thread like this 
  • Options
    pessimistic view from a Japanese politician on the radio, opining that Japanese society is getting as 'violent and fragmented as the rest of the world' ..