Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Miles Leaburn - 2023-4 season

Comments

• edited September 12
    fenaddick said:

Why would Leaburn get ahead of Kanu as a sub at Shrewsbury when Miles has been out for so long and with his history of injuries ?
    Makes sense to test his fitness and get minutes in his legs in an U21 match. Hopefully Dr Will is having a big say in this decision as Nathan Jones maybe too optimistic at times after his comments on Josh Edwards- "just weeks" 

Kanu is the one striker who has the pace to run in behind. As talented as Leaburn looked on a good day before his last injury, he has good pace for a big man but I can't remember him running in behind a defence.
    My worry is with the prolific striker gone which one of our forwards can get in behind a defence in an away game, even if the opposition don't play a low block.

The defence is tighter with mainly worldy goals against but still confusion in the best option and pairs up front unless we continue* to play the 4 strikers over the 100 odd minutes and hope we get a pair of the strikers to gel whether they start or finish- we definitely need our strikers to finish !

* I have felt that 4 strikers will be used most matches before the season started and that has come to fruition.
  • I guess the argument would be that Kanu has just flown half way across the world twice in 2 weeks and been training away so unable to have taken part in any tactical sessions. 

I think Leaburn was quicker than you remember, but it’s a risk to bet on him having retained all that pace.  
  • edited September 12
    Before the season started we heard that Miles Leaburn would be back in the 1st team squad in October so it's good to see as long as a few U21 match go well with no set backs with tight hamstrings etc the player with the potential highest ceiling* at the club can give CAFC a big boost, plus to get his own career back on track.

* At 6ft 5 in, Miles needs a high ceiling !
  • Kanu is a busy runner and he’s definitely no slouch compared to the typical target man forward.

But I wouldn’t consider him to be fast necessarily, I suspect there’s not much between him and Miles in a 40 yard dash.
  • edited September 12
    Before the season started we heard that Miles Leaburn would be back in the 1st team squad in October so it's good to see as long as a few U21 match go well with no set backs with tight hamstrings etc the player with the potential highest ceiling* at the club can give CAFC a big boost, plus to get his own career back on track.

* At 6ft 5 in, Miles needs a high ceiling !
    If my memory serves me correctly, at the start of the season, Tracey told me he is now just over 6ft 6ins ....
  • He's now 6'6"....?

Blimey, what are they feeding him on? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Keep him out for a few more weeks, and voila new goalie sorted!
  • Given the length of time he has been out, it makes perfect sense that he has a few games in the U21s to help get him up to speed. Not just fitness wise but in terms of his match readiness.
    Agreed, he will be eased back into things over a few games/weeks. Saw someone further up this thread suggest he might be on the bench at Shrewsbury tomorrow! After months out that would be madness.

I expect he gets some minutes tonight, maybe a sub appearance in the Bristol nonsense trophy next week and then at a push he might be on the bench for Blackpool. 
  • edited September 13
    Expect to see return of Miles back in the starting line up for the Birmingham match, could turn out to be some game that one...🤔
  • Given the length of time he has been out, it makes perfect sense that he has a few games in the U21s to help get him up to speed. Not just fitness wise but in terms of his match readiness.
    Agreed, he will be eased back into things over a few games/weeks. Saw someone further up this thread suggest he might be on the bench at Shrewsbury tomorrow! After months out that would be madness.

I expect he gets some minutes tonight, maybe a sub appearance in the Bristol nonsense trophy next week and then at a push he might be on the bench for Blackpool. 
    I suspect he will come on as a sub but there is a case of starting him and seeing how it goes in terms of when to sub him.
  • Starting for the u21s tonight. OS are streaming for those not there.
  • How did he get on
  • He had a header cleared off the line that looked like it might have been over, hit the post, had another turn and shot deflected wide, and had one mazy run where he beat 3 or 4 players but ran out of room before he could get a shot away. Subbed off at halftime. His touch and movement looked much sharper than I was expecting. It was encouraging. Then he tripped over a sponge bucket in the technical area and is out for an as of yet unspecfied period.

• fenaddick said:
    Sneaky way of showing us Miles is back in training with the main group of lads?

https://x.com/cafcofficial/status/1833831198503637401?s=46&t=ynww82GMl7VKBjthBflU0g
    Much rather they show them practising crossing, shooting & taking free kicks. I know (hope) they do that as well but would be nice to see it as evidence to date proves otherwise. 
    Here you go https://x.com/CAFCofficial/status/1833890075446534375
    Exactly. Crap at crossing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 16
    Some 'insiders' on here said the club were reasonably confident he'd sign a new contract, especially given how they've handled his recovery. It was said they would be looking at it after the window closed. Hope we hear something soon. The closer we get to Jan, the less likely it would seem. 
  • Scoham said:
    Oggy Red said:
    He's now 6'6"....?

Blimey, what are they feeding him on? 
    Failed Charlton strikers. There's a lot of them...
    Bonne on the bone might have been one of his favourites.
  • Miles not in the U21 squad today.

This proves that:

He's injured

He's refused to sign a new contract

He's being rested

He's on the bench in the BSM Trophy tomorrow
  • The game tomorrow night will be 4 days since Miles played 45 minutes for the U21.
    Possibly be on the bench in BSM trophy if there is no reaction from last Friday ?

I would be surprised if he played more than 30 minutes but that will be worked out under Dr Will Abbott, Miles and Nathan Jones.
    October was the ETA for Leaburn in the first team 18 man squad last June so on schedule.
  • I would like to think he will get a decent run out in the BSM - 45 mins in the U21s..... BSM is surely the next step. 
  • mendonca said:

Its one of those situations that should depend on where we are in the league.

If we're going well towards the end of January and Leaburn was in good form you'd hope we'd take the risk of keeping him (though the CBT and May sales, and trying to shift Dobson on a few months early make me suspect we wouldn't) - promotion would be worth more to us than the fee.

If we're ballsing up the season anyway, selling him makes more sense.
  • I would like to think he will get a decent run out in the BSM - 45 mins in the U21s..... BSM is surely the next step. 
    @Henry Irving said in the u21 he heard Leaburn will play for the u21s Friday, so I would guess that means he won’t play tomorrow night.
  • Jones confirmed Miles Leaburn will feature for the U21s at Watford on Friday afternoon.
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/jones-it-will-be-real-test
  • And crucially he’ll be available for first team football if he comes through 60 mins ok. Would be great to see him on the bench against Stevenage