Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Signing - Jack Payne -Two Year Deal - Confirmed

Comments

• Options
    The office announcement video has been deleted from the CAFC twitter account. Shame, thought it was brilliant and was starting to go a bit viral by the looks of it.
    Doesn’t look like we’ve signed Jack Payne?

• Options
    Scoham said:
    I hate to be Nobby Negative but if all these players make for promotion why are Swindon in L2?
    Because a Charlton loanee missed the penalty that would have sent them to Wembley.
    Touché , excellent.
  • Options
    Payne was very highly rated by Huddersfield fans but was considered a bit too lightweight for the Championship/Premier League. 

He made 23 appearances in his first season there. The same season they got promoted. He ended up being loaned out as he wasn't ready for the step up.

If Huddersfield hadn't gone up that year, it's possible Payne would've established himself as a Championship player that following season.

As it is, he's bounced around on loans and seems to be refinding himself. at 27 years old, he's coming into his peak years, I'm hopeful we'll see the best of him.
    I suppose the disappointing thing for him is that when Huddersfield got promoted to the PL, he then went out on loan to L1 and not the Championship
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I don’t know what to think. We wanted a clear out. We’re getting one. We wanted some goals from midfield. On the face of it Jack helps here. But the niggling feeling that we’re recruiting a bunch of league 2 players haunts me. Welcome aboard the good ship Swindo, sorry CAFC Jack. I hope you are a ray of light. 
    Tbf that was the first season he's spent in League Two since 14/15. He was there because they got relegated. He's played the majority of his career at League One/Championship.

Seemed a strange career decision for Jack Payne to stay in League 2 after the relegation. That type of loyalty disappeared last century.

Can these players come together and be successful as they have had stuttering careers up to now.

Hopefully yes.

Payne was going to/trying to leave Swindon until he met and started working with Garner.  Williams, Egbo and Reed only signed for Swindon because of Garner.

None of them are really, or ever were, league 2 players.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    I don’t know what to think. We wanted a clear out. We’re getting one. We wanted some goals from midfield. On the face of it Jack helps here. But the niggling feeling that we’re recruiting a bunch of league 2 players haunts me. Welcome aboard the good ship Swindo, sorry CAFC Jack. I hope you are a ray of light. 
    Tbf that was the first season he's spent in League Two since 14/15. He was there because they got relegated. He's played the majority of his career at League One/Championship.

Seemed a strange career decision for Jack Payne to stay in League 2 after the relegation. That type of loyalty disappeared last century.

Can these players come together and be successful as they have had stuttering careers up to now.

Hopefully yes.

Payne was going to/trying to leave Swindon until he met and started working with Garner.  Williams, Egbo and Reed only signed for Swindon because of Garner.

None of them are really, or ever were, league 2 players.
    Apart from one ;)
  • Options
    For the first time in probably a decade I can say THAT is a strong Charlton midfield. Welcome Jack Payne. Looking forward to all your goals and assists and a great injury-free season  ahead.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Erhun Oztumer 
    Ben Reeves 
    Wasn’t there another small fella goalscoring midfielder we signed who’s career then nosedived 

welcome to the club Jack Payne !
  • Options
    Good point. There is a huge difference between top end L1 and playoffs outsiders in L2. Hoping they can all play their game at this level...

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Erhun Oztumer 
    Ben Reeves 
    Wasn’t there another small fella goalscoring midfielder we signed who’s career then nosedived 

Maddison?

Although not that small.
  • Options
    Pleased with the signing but McKirdy is the Swindon player i still want
  • Options
    Os says he's a goal scoring midfielder so I suppose he's not replacing anyone....😅😅
    Can’t add to that 😀
  • Options
    Just remind me Swindon finished in 6th position in Division 2 last season and now it’s expected that these same players push us on to The Championship.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Just remind me Swindon finished in 6th position in Division 2 last season and now it’s expected that these same players push us on to The Championship.
    Three of their better players, yes, not their entire squad.
    Anyway make that two, we probably won’t see Egbo until march!!😬🤣
  • Options
    Hopefully a great success and not a Max Payne. 
  • Options
    Erhun Oztumer 
    Ben Reeves 

Oztumer is currently playing in the Turkish top flight alongside Mario Balotelli fyi. We’re playing Accrington.
  • Options
    I understand your point of view, but is it not good to bring in players with a point to prove, who fill they can step up, time will tell, just hope they are better than what we’ve got.
  • Options
    Three players wont be the reason Swindon finished 6th / missed out on promotion.
    But then if Swindon HAD gone up, where would they have expected to finish under Garner in L1? Mid table at best after strengthening, like Cheltenham seeing that they don't have that "edge" which Accrington have, which can ruffle up softer big teams.

Theoretically, the other players we have should be better than the rest of the Swindon side, thus we should do better than that...
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    MrWalker said:
    Hi Jack

Where?
    There wolf. Oh, sorry, wrong film.