Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brian Tocknell RIP

2»

Comments

• Options
    Yep, Bailey Haydock Tocknell. Remember them as if it was yesterday. RIP Brian.

• Options
    RIP - Played right half in the team that I can still reel off from younger days - Duff, Sewell, Hewie, Tocknell, Hinton, Bailey, Lawrie, Matthews, Leary, Edwards, Kinsey. Occasionally, played at centre half, if I remember correctly.
    I am sure that is pretty much the team that played in the first game I saw.
    The team that sticks in my mind the most was the one from a season or two later - Rose, Hewie, Kinsey; Bailey, Haydock, Tocknell; Kenning, Matthews, Firmani, Edwards, Glover.
    When I think of Brian Tocknell I think of him in that kit of mostly white with the red shoulder flash.
    RIP
    Yes @Six-a-bag-of-nuts, that’s the eleven I remember fondly from the 1963-64 season with that kit. Remember Tocknell as quite a slim, tall guy, although I was only 8 years old so they all looked tall.

• Options
    RIP Brian

• Options
    RIP a great club servant. 
  • Options
    I assume Brian went back to live in South Africa……anyone know what he went on to do with his life after Charlton?
  • Options
    RIP 'Tick Tock' as he was sometimes referred to by fans at the time. I was young and didn't fully appreciate all his qualities but remember him covering a lot of ground (as half backs used to) and working hard both in defence and occasionally in attack.
  • Options
    Remember Brian well.  RIP
  • Options
    RIP - Played right half in the team that I can still reel off from younger days - Duff, Sewell, Hewie, Tocknell, Hinton, Bailey, Lawrie, Matthews, Leary, Edwards, Kinsey. Occasionally, played at centre half, if I remember correctly.
    The team that sticks in my mind the most was the one from a season or two later - Rose, Hewie, Kinsey; Bailey, Haydock, Tocknell; Kenning, Matthews, Firmani, Edwards, Glover.
    When I think of Brian Tocknell I think of him in that kit of mostly white with the red shoulder flash.
    RIP
    Yes @Six-a-bag-of-nuts, that’s the eleven I remember fondly from the 1963-64 season with that kit. Remember Tocknell as quite a slim, tall guy, although I was only 8 years old so they all looked tall.

Funny how those names are imprinted on my mind forever, first game 63/64 season against Cardiff City 5-2.
  • Options
    RIP

Funny how those names are imprinted on my mind forever, first game 63/64 season against Cardiff City 5-2.
    For some reason, cannot recall why, I remember some of that team made an appearance at the Roxy Cinema at the Blackheath Royal Standard Saturday morning pictures.
  • Options
    I also remember a cup defeat at home to Preston in 1966.  2-3 with a perfect hat trick for Alex Dawson. Before the game there was the usual warm up which lasted a while on this day. Brian hit the ball at goal and it hit a bloke with a pint of beer. Soaked him. 
    The guy cursed and went off to get another beer. 
    On his return Brian managed to pick him out , or so it seemed and Soaked him in beer again. 🍺 
    This was my first Charlton game.

RIP Brian.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP
  • Options

A mainstay in the early to mid sixties teams in my early supporting years. One of the three six foot plus half backs along with Hewie and Jago that ran Spurs a close second in the FA Cup 3rd round of their 60/61 double wining side. RIP Brian.

• Options
    Fine player. RIP
  • Options
    RIP

For some reason, cannot recall why, I remember some of that team made an appearance at the Roxy Cinema at the Blackheath Royal Standard Saturday morning pictures.
    They turned up because there was a good Hopalong Cassidy film being shown.
  • Options

Brian Tocknell was an admirable player, rarely turning in a bad performance. Undeniably an effective player but also not without a certain elegance. Definitely one of our most valuable signings from South Africa.

Games mentioned above. 22 Jan 66 CAFC 2-3 PNE FAC3. A miserable day, and a match in keeping with the Addicks' prevailing run from 9 Oct 65 when we beat Carlisle at The Valley but with our next win not until 5 Feb 66 at Portman Road ITFC 1-4 CAFC.

26 Oct 63  CAFC 5-2 CCFC. What a day to attend your first Charlton game!! I have written many times in these pages about this unforgettable match. Each of our five forwards scored, each goal was different from the one before, and all five were of the highest quality. And whilst nobody begrudged Cardiff their brace because they had certainly played their part in an exhilarating afternoon, on this beautiful sunny Autumn day Charlton should have harvested easily ten or a dozen.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    RIP Brian. Some very nice stories on here. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Many vivid memories of those far-off days, surprisingly still so clear, but I confess I did have to look up Alex Dawson's hat-trick. The indispensable Home and Away reveals that on 14 Nov 64 before a sparse Valley crowd of 8403 Dawson scored a hat-trick of .... headers!! We were often obliging opponents for PNE's Fred Flintstone look-alike - another heartbreaker was on 15 Oct 66 when a dismal, damp day in Lancashire was ultimately rendered pointless as well thanks to Dawson's belated 89th winner, obliging us during a long journey back south to swallow a 2-1 defeat along with many many cans of Whitbread's Forest Brown Ale.

PNE were a more than respectable side in that era, for whom Alan Spavin was indeed a long-serving and  gifted winger. Preston reached the FA Cup Final in 1964, no mean feat for a Second Division team. CAFC did manage an unusual success at Easter 1966, at The Valley winning 5-2 in a very early kick-off on Good Friday (early enough for us to get to WHL for Tottenham vs West Ham in the afternoon), followed by a 3-3 draw at Deepdale on the Wednesday night, unexpectedly rather disappointing after being 3-1 ahead early in the second half.

Those were days of estimable goal scorers, of which we certainly had our fair share - Firmani, Saunders and briefly Holton to name but a few, followed a year or two later by the great Matt Tees. Of defenders none was held in greater esteem that John Charles. At the apex the Cardiff epic shines in the memory, a truly legendary match played by giants of our beautiful game. That day all 22 of them (and not forgetting the ref Mr Burtenshaw) seemingly had somehow conspired to serve up the almost perfect occasion to a big crowd - still enthralled by the return of Eddie Firmani from Italy - basking on a lovely afternoon as the brilliant spectacle was laid out before them, lacking only a more fitting and punitive final score line.

• Options
    RIP Brian